New Stones: King 1000 and 6000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackslimpson

Reaction score
I just bought two new synthetic stones: a King 1000 and a King 6000. (I got these for a good price during Korin's accessory sale recently).

Question: do I have to lap these right out of the box?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jack

They are probably flat out of the box, however there is no guarantee. It couldn't hurt to flatten it. I flatten my stone quite frequently almost before every use.

for kitchen knifes its not as necessary as for straight razors.

Just check them with a straight edge. If they're reasonably flat, they'll be fine.

I have a number of King stones and am very pleased with the value they provide.

Some brand new stones seem inactive as long they haven't been lapped, as if the particles should get freed.

Most of the time I see people recommend to lap the new stones.

I have the king 1000/6000 combo and I'm very pleased so far with the results. My next purchase will be a wider and longer stone for sure.

Absolutely you should lap and chamfer the edges first. The stones just don't feel right straight out of the box and they need to be cleaned. Chamfering the edges is important for sharpening so you don't encounter raised edges preventing you from hitting the stone properly with your edge.

Absolutely you should lap and chamfer the edges first. The stones just don't feel right straight out of the box and they need to be cleaned. Chamfering the edges is important for sharpening so you don't encounter raised edges preventing you from hitting the stone properly with your edge.

Thanks for all the responses. I shall lap and chamfer.

Cheers,

Jack

Chamfer the edges first. It makes lapping easier imo.

Back