Next Year's Burl

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't believe it. Don't know which knife or knives I want to put it on yet, but it's something special.

Short video, kinda dumb.
[video=youtube_share;rdFzcluRwwQ]http://youtu.be/rdFzcluRwwQ[/video]

Wow that buckeye went fast! Great video. Really shows what the wood looks like especially the red Australians, looks so much different in the video than just snaps.

Wow that buckeye went fast! Great video. Really shows what the wood looks like especially the red Australians, looks so much different in the video than just snaps.
The buckeye tends to go away pretty quickly.
I still have some to trim and clean up. They should be in the store this weekend.
beb001.jpg

That buckeye looks exceptionally clean, hardly any voids, great stuff. I better look what I have left...

Stefan

That buckeye looks exceptionally clean, hardly any voids, great stuff. I better look what I have left...
Stefan
That's because I threw away 3 times as much as I kept. With these ones I was able to control the drying and was mostly able to keep the eyes from opening up.

is more Koa coming tomorrow as well?
I will try.

I just finished adding a dozen blocks of stabilized Madrone burl. Good stuff. Most are $35 to $40.
Madrone is nice to work with because it does not have visible pores and you can get a glass like finish easily.

I will post a short video in the morning. Takes a couple hours to upload so I set the computer to upload to Youtube when I leave.

One of the madrone pieces made it to my favorites list. That one is $45

i have a block like that and a bunch of other blocks too thanks mark BTW i have not forgot about your knife

Here is a short video of the Madrone.
[video=youtube_share;Lw8uS5ZJhyY]http://youtu.be/Lw8uS5ZJhyY[/video]

Here are some Old Growth Redwood Burl blocks I just added to the store.

That lone piece of walnut is really cool too. Arg. You sure make picking tough Mark. Holding out for the koa to drop though.

These are some stabilized Claro Walnut burl blocks I just posted in the store. They were cut to show flamed figure on the faces of the blocks with burl eyes at the top and bottom.

That lone piece of walnut is really cool too. Arg. You sure make picking tough Mark. Holding out for the koa to drop though.
I just finished posting 4 good koa blocks and a dark buckeye.
Now it's time to cook dinner.

Just ordered 2 Claro Walnut, 2, 2nd growth Redwood Burl and 1 Madrone burl. I love that flamed 2nd growth redwood!!!

Just added a dozen blocks of stabilized Sheoak from Western Australia

Some unusual stabilized Black Oak Burl Blocks.
The grain looks like piles of spaghetti.

Added a few more buckeye. The rest tomorrow afternoon.

Are all the rest going to be buckeye, too?
There are about a dozen more buckeye, more koa, flamed redwood and a mix of other stuff.

I thought I had figured a way to get things posted more quickly, but ended up wasting a couple days work.

My order arrived today and all I can say is WOW! This is some of the nicest looking wood I've seen -- PERIOD. Particularly the redwood. If you've been on the fence about the redwood -- not to shill -- but you'd be crazy not to get it it's so nice. Stunning Koa as well. Thank you so much Mark. This burl is amazing.

I got my package today, too!!! 1 piece of Madrone, 2 of the Flamed 2nd Growth Redwood and 2 of the Claro Walnut. I had Mark cut them into scales and I am impressed. Clean, smooth cuts and I got the extra piece from the top that is thinner that will be awesome for neck knives and folders on the thinner stuff and the thicker stuff is just around 1/4" and will work awesomely for some Japanese Western Style knife rehandles!!! With the excellent cutting jobs, I can get 2-3 knives out of each block, maybe more if I do a 2 section handle, like 2 different burls! Can't wait to use these!!

Quick pic; I will get some better pics in the daylight on Friday; these just don't do them justice!
Burls1.jpg

My order arrived today and all I can say is WOW! This is some of the nicest looking wood I've seen -- PERIOD. Particularly the redwood. If you've been on the fence about the redwood -- not to shill -- but you'd be crazy not to get it it's so nice. Stunning Koa as well. Thank you so much Mark. This burl is amazing.
I have always thought of redwood as one of my favorites.
I sent in a few dozen more blocks to be stabilized yesterday.
Today we were milling some up for the guitar guys.
Here is one of the first slabs. Hard to tell what is there because it is rough cut, but it will be some really good stuff.
rw001.jpg

Mark,
I'm an Oregon boy and one thing I miss and never see is Myrtle wood burl. Do you ever carry it and do you have any stabilized?

OOps! I transcribed Madrone to Myrtle!

with the tone of the heasrt wood being all but 2 tone if you dont cut me a fe tri color blocks il be pissed

here is what i have done with soemof your wood
dsc08103sm.jpg

Back