Nibs & Knives ; Do you love fountain pens too ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! How do you find refilling the TWSBI? It looks pretty cool.
If you haven’t tried any Pilot Iroshizuku ink yet, I can thoroughly recommend it. Way better than the alternatives that I can get here in Australia, although I should note that we don’t get Noodlers or the more interesting alternatives out here. It’s performance is better than the Mont Blancs, Diamines, Lamys and Pelikans that I own.
Take whatever I say with a huge grain of salt because I have less than 1 month of fountain pen experience under my belt. Here's what I think of my TWSBI 580 ALR: awesome pen that seems geared to the engineer-types. It feels incredibly solid and well built. It's super easy to fill (just dunk and twist and you have a full pen full of ink within seconds).

Compared to the Japanese nibs on my Pilots, the TWSBI seem much broader and they let out more ink. Because I'm jouraling and I write with fairly small letters, I prefer the precision of the Japanese nibs. I have one TWSBI extra-fine and one TWSBI fine, and I prefer the EF, although with better pressure control on my part, the F nib is working much better.

Thanks for the tip on the Iroshizuku ink. I have a bottle of Take-Sumi, but it's too grey and not black enough for me (I want my blacks to be really, really black). However, as I dive deeper into this business, I'm finding that I'm appreciating colors that I didn't think I'd like. I'll give the take-sumi another try. If you're in Austrialia, do you have Robert Oster inks? I'm really impressed by those.

I've been looking at MontBlanc ballpoint, rollerball, & fountain pens on ebay & convinced that a majority are made in China even with name badging on boxes & on pens. Serial # & Germany. They have figured out by videos how to tell fakes & addressed that as well. Who checks that all serial # are the same. All the sellers pass on information as MontBlanc made in Germany. Ebay supposed to have anti counterfeit policy, but it's BS. How could they not know that many sellers of all kinds of brand name goods are selling copies most from China that to untrained eye look like real thing?

Started reading comments on sellers even with 100% rating. Often found one review out of many positive that said got a fake pen don't buy from this seller.

Often when buy something on ebay contact the seller. Most reply to my inquiry. I tried with two pens I knew were real both replied. About another 10 sellers in USA & abroad that I highly suspected of selling contacted asking if pens were really MontBlanc
Thanking them to let me know. NONE OF THEM REPLIED.

I wonder if the bidders Often going over 200.00 know they are buying high level fakes.

Take whatever I say with a huge grain of salt because I have less than 1 month of fountain pen experience under my belt. Here's what I think of my TWSBI 580 ALR: awesome pen that seems geared to the engineer-types. It feels incredibly solid and well built. It's super easy to fill (just dunk and twist and you have a full pen full of ink within seconds).

Compared to the Japanese nibs on my Pilots, the TWSBI seem much broader and they let out more ink. Because I'm jouraling and I write with fairly small letters, I prefer the precision of the Japanese nibs. I have one TWSBI extra-fine and one TWSBI fine, and I prefer the EF, although with better pressure control on my part, the F nib is working much better.

Thanks for the tip on the Iroshizuku ink. I have a bottle of Take-Sumi, but it's too grey and not black enough for me (I want my blacks to be really, really black). However, as I dive deeper into this business, I'm finding that I'm appreciating colors that I didn't think I'd like. I'll give the take-sumi another try. If you're in Austrialia, do you have Robert Oster inks? I'm really impressed by those.
Oh cool! I’ll have to check out the Robert Oster inks, thanks for the recommendation.

EDIT: I’m so embarrassed that I didn’t know about Robert Oster inks! They’re based in Mt Gambier, and have an amazing array of colours:
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/9375229e-d5a2-4093-9b7d-6ec0edb2c3f8/SwatchBrowser™ 2 2021 (A3).pdf
Looks like I’ve got an order to place this morning!

Yeah the take sumi is more of a charcoal colour rather than a black hole no light escaping black. Totally agree with you about colours that I thought I’d hate growing on me, I’ve really taken a shine to the momji and fuyu gaki. I have a North American variety of maple tree out my study window which turns that precise momji colour for about a week in autumn and there’s a neighbour down the street with an impressive persimmon tree that is that precise colour when fruiting, so I’ve enjoyed a seasonality of colours for the past few years. I don’t bother committing to big bottles until I’ve been through a bunch of samples of that colour to see how I like it. The paper I’m writing on seems to make a big difference to the colour too (ivory paper being a bit of a natural offset to some of the brighter ink shades).

I know sod all about pens tbh, but I did have some fun finds about 6 months ago, whilst looking through an old chest of drawers in my apartment…

Parker 88:

9184FD7A-37AC-4149-AE99-240753C4BD06.jpeg

E5FB4D4E-8E74-4E4C-9173-72C827E76EC9.jpeg

Sterling silver pencil:

ADCEBEE1-59BC-4D92-BE87-46C0E6A8615F.jpeg

Parker 51 pen and pencil:

14E7EB69-9173-4A49-88F6-B9532E1C7060.jpeg

17D25EC4-E9A3-4A32-934A-81CDD05E1BEA.jpeg

9619446E-4DC2-4344-BF1E-B57B2994E418.jpeg

All of those above would’ve belonged to my grandfather (you can see his initials in the last pics), and I’ve now claimed for myself. :)

Though the final one below apparently belongs to his daughter, who thought she’d lost this utterly gorgeous Waterman Carene many, many years ago.

And so I very magnanimously gave it back to my mum:

3D95D079-7C7B-4694-B5E8-F46E60FB1E26.jpeg

9278CE17-C0CA-495F-87A4-7BF19E3E0947.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're in Austrialia, do you have Robert Oster inks? I'm really impressed by those.
I’ve got my delivery of 2ml samples 14 different shades of red from the Robert Oster inks signature series arriving tomorrow so I’m looking forward to giving them a whirl. I’ll let you know how they run on my current daily drive.

I’ve got my delivery of 2ml samples 14 different shades of red from the Robert Oster inks signature series arriving tomorrow so I’m looking forward to giving them a whirl. I’ll let you know how they run on my current daily drive.
Great! Let us know which ones resonate with you. I haven't tried a red ink yet. (But I do have an unopened bottle of Oxblood in my drawer).

I actually got a bottle of Robert Oster Great Southern Ocean in yesterday's mail. I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to using it, though. I've been liking the darker blues lately. And to think, when I first started journaling at the beginning of February this year, I thought I only liked black ink. What a rabbit hole!

Enjoy your new inks!

Back