Nihei experience

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plantgainz

Reaction score
Hello all!
I finally had the chance to try a kono sumiiro today and I'm blown away on how it cuts, surpassing maybe my best Yoshi skd but still have to compare them directly. Ootb edge is ridiculous.
I would like to know if any you did try the shinkiro also from nihei and how they compare besides steel and finish.
The shinkiro seems thicker overall but with a very capable grind.
Let me know thanks!

IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg

I recently picked up a kono sumiiro and though i haven’t had it long enough to comment on edge retention, the steel/edge is far more bitey off a BBW than any of the stainless steels I’ve tried otherwise. Near perfect thin convex geometry. I’d be curious to get vibe checks on a shinkiro as well since the only AS I’ve liked so far has come from Tanaka, and most other offerings are OEM/Takefu prelaminated stuff.

It's one of my most used and abused knives. Most solid ku I have seen until now, better stable ku than Mazaki for sure. I have never regretted this knife. I use fewer 150 mm knives now but my better half took ownership of it now. It’s her knife now.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 0
I've got the non konosuke version of the sumiiro, afaik it's just a nashiji finishing versus ku.

Imo the f&f is even better than sumiiro. However, the edges tend to roll a bit, but would come back straight with a few strops

Is the petty thick behind the edge? The choil shots on the Protooling site make it look a little chunky, but the reviews seem to be positive. Tossing up between an sumiiro petty and a takamura petty as my stainless fruit knife.

Is the petty thick behind the edge? The choil shots on the Protooling site make it look a little chunky, but the reviews seem to be positive. Tossing up between an sumiiro petty and a takamura petty as my stainless fruit knife.
It’s probably thin BTE but because it’s thick spined I would recommend takamura (I’ve had both btw)

It’s probably thin BTE but because it’s thick spined I would recommend takamura (I’ve had both btw)
Also had/have both and would recommend Sumiiro. 😂 IME both are very good and thin BTE, but quite different feeling knives — depends if you want something that’s like a scalpel or enjoy a little more meat to your blade.

Sumiiro is absolutely my favorite knife, I tried a regular 210 and I knew I had to get a k-tip nihei for the added height. I had a similar experience comparing it to my yoshikane, was mind blowing how smoothly it cut while looking chunky in comparison to my yoshi. I’ll leave a link here to the W#2 k-tip I have for sale if anyone wants to try a nihei, as long as that’s ok? I bought it before finding a k-tip Sumiiro, I can confirm it absolutely performs easily as well as the kono version!
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nihei-ku-w-2-210-gyuto.71278/#post-1103730

Attachments

• 6B50D871-211B-49D6-939B-6422713C96E2.jpeg
    6B50D871-211B-49D6-939B-6422713C96E2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Are they in stock anywhere other than protocoling and ai and om?
Dunno, got mine a couple of years ago from CKTG; believe I saw them at Tosho a while back. TBH, I've not used it as much as it deserves—I'm more a carbon guy, and the profile is a tad too flat for my tastes. Had originally bought it to be a travel knife to survive tropical humidity. It's a very well made knife.

The choil shot on these reminds me of my Kaeru Kasumi gyuto, also SLD/stainless clad, but obviously very different profile and finishing. Anybody have both and can compare?

Kaeru.jpg

The choil shot on these reminds me of my Kaeru Kasumi gyuto, also SLD/stainless clad, but obviously very different profile and finishing. Anybody have both and can compare?

View attachment 316279
I have a 240 kaeru and they are not similar nor comparable both in grind and steel (way harder on the sumiiro). I like the kaeru though.
I took a few shots of the sumiiro choil

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_215150268~2.jpg
    PXL_20240419_215150268~2.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240419_214937857~2.jpg
    PXL_20240419_214937857~2.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a 240 kaeru and they are not similar nor comparable both in grind and steel (way harder on the sumiiro). I like the kaeru though.
I took a few shots of the sumiiro choil
So what you're telling me is I need both...

What's differences do you see in the grind? My Kaeru has a bit of hollow above the blade road to a subtle shoulder, then has quite a bit of convexity down to a very thin edge (~0.20mm@1mm BTE).

So what you're telling me is I need both...

What's differences do you see in the grind? My Kaeru has a bit of hollow above the blade road to a subtle shoulder, then has quite a bit of convexity down to a very thin edge (~0.20mm@1mm BTE).
Sumiiro is harder and thinner behind the edge, feels very delicate on board like the thinnest yoshikane. You obviously need both 🤣🤣 they are both keepers

Back