Niolox/SB1 anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the knife today. profile/ geometry look pretty sweet.

Would love to hear some reports of how the steel performs on this, having seen some pretty impressive video's of a thin sb1 blade hacking through bone and still shaving. So whats the steel like, nice to sharpen? fine edge? edge holding?

I'll take some pics and post my thoughts after a couple more days with it. Used it a good deal today and initial impressions are pretty damn good. I touched up the edge on a 5k chosera and the 10k that dave used to sell followed by a light stropping. Shaved quite easily after the touchup and still feels like it could after a days use on poly boards.

snapped some pics today at work ( still here, on break ) and will post them tonight when I get home.

Here is a pic with a couple of my favorite western handled chef knives. for comparison. The knife in question is on the bottom.

IMG_0064.jpg

A shot of the tips. It is very close to my glestain in profile. Something that for me is a great thing as the glestain has my favorite profile of all of my knives with the Sab in a close second.

IMG_0065.jpg

Handle

IMG_0066.jpg

Spine

IMG_0067.jpg

Handle top side

IMG_0068.jpg

Who is next in line for the lefty western?

Yup just got confirmation... You're next =) I'll get it out this week. probably Wednesday

Thanks for keeping this moving, K-Fed!

Robin, question. Would you like me to touch up the edge on the knife before I ship it out or is this something you would like to do to get a better feel for the steel?

The knife is on its way. Should be there on Monday.

Knife received!

Looking forward to putting it to use.

Just so i know, whos next after me (or do i get to keep it?:doublethumbsup:)

Thanks for the passarounbd by the way?
I'll send you a pm on this. Glad you enjoyed the passaround. :)

The righty is with heirkb, at the moment.

I'm planning on sending the right handed knife out on Tuesday if that's ok with everyone. That'd give me a few more chances to play with it and would be the best day for me to get to the post office.

Righty received today. Looking forward to using it tomorrow.

Sorry for the late "thoughts" but here they are:

Overall, an excellent knife. Profile looked a little...different, but performed excellently. I guess when I think of a "gyuji" I more or less picture a gyuto with a slightly shortened height. This is more of a tall suji profile, so the front half is curved, well suited for slicing (and rocking) and the back is taller and a little flatter for normal gyuto duties. Still fairly curved, so not perfect for straight chopping, but for the utility nature of a line knife the profile works great. Steel was very nice, comparable to AEB-L and other high quality stainless steels. Sharpened up nicely, burr removal was not a problem, held the edge well. Handle was nice, could use a little more taper. Cutting performance was excellent, one of the very best performing convex ground knives I have used. The knife is very thin and fairly flexible, but the distal taper is not drastic so it isn't too whippy. The only complaint I have is that spine is rounded, but some of the deeper lower grit scratch marks from the initial rounding were not taken out and the spine feels rough in some areas. I took a picture of it and sadly, appears to be the only picture I have of the knife before I sent it out.

IMG_1413.JPG

Thanks, JC. Just for the record, this is a second for a few reasons, the scratches begin one of them.

The righty just arrived. Here are pics right after unpacking.

IMG_0858w.jpgIMG_0860w.jpgIMG_0865w.jpgIMG_0874w.jpg

First impressions:

Nice fit and finish. Blade has a really sweet right hand bias. This can clearly be seen from the scuff marks from previous sharpenings. The only real scuff on the left side was at the tip blade. Beatiful handle. Horn and wood have shrunk slightly, which is to be expected from natural products, but I would also expect it to swell back out when it gets home on the west coast. I would like a brass spacer at the rear also. The blade has a very nice consistent mat finish from a vertical scratch pattern. Matt put a fresh edge before shipping and it sliced through tissue (catalog print) easily and quietly. It had a small bend it the tip that cleaned up OK on the strop board. Next I cut about 5 large mushrooms with no resistance and very little sticking. Next cut 3 large red potatos w/ some sticking. Sorry no tomatoes available today. I would still say that is has excellent food release from the textured convex grind. The convex grind on this, IMO, is very smooth and consistent at about a 400 grit finish. To me this is a very light, nimble & agile knife weighing in at exactly 170 grams. The balance point is dead on at the heal of the blade. At this point in time, all I can say is THIS WOULD BE A REALLY EASY KNIFE TO OWN!!!!

Done for tonight...More to follow.

PZ

I put the sharpening scratches there. In a rush, lost my concentration...I think that is the only time I have ever done that, haha. I broke the tip too, it was bent and blunted, so the scratches on the left side are from removing the bent part before restoring the tip from the spine down.

Gee, JC. Thanks for adding some... uh... character to my knife! Maybe I'll do a WIP on the restoration, lol. I'll be sure to return the favor sometime. How about you send me that Rader? I'll make sure Pesky gets a turn with it. :)

Gee, JC. Thanks for adding some... uh... character to my knife! Maybe I'll do a WIP on the restoration, lol. I'll be sure to return the favor sometime. How about you send me that Rader? I'll make sure Pesky gets a turn with it. :)

I think I have broken the tip and put scuff marks on every knife you have ever lent me sooooo...I was just keeping the streak alive.

Obviously JC was just testing the durability and wear resistance of the steel. :rofl2:

TK...I can try and clean it up some....with your permission.

Back