Niolox/SB1 anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TK...I can try and clean it up some....with your permission.
The pics I've seen of some of your work look much better than mine. If you'd like to do that, be my guest but to be totally honest, it will probably be undergoing some modification once it makes it back home. Thanks.

I will not go too overboard on this, but will just post some general impressions. I used the knife on everything through easter weekend and probably put about 30 hours of use on it. I forgot to take measurement specs, but the knife is anorexic, in a good way...if you like that sort of thing.

Cosmetics: the scratches on the blade don't really bother me that much, it is going to get used anyway. The tang/ferrule fit was great, the handle was well put together, although there was a little shrinking in the wood causing the spacer to stand out, but that is easily fixed and almost expected. There are no gaps in the different handle junctions and everything is uniform. The spine was smooth, comfortable and as rounded as possible considering its size. Overall, good looking knife, (if you like that Wa style thing, good thing he makes western too).

Retention: Wow, I am blown away by the retention on this. I used it over Easter weekend and logged close to 30 hours. I touched it up once on a 5k and stropped daily and that was it. There was very little degeneration from a fresh edge even after half a shift of use. I would put the retention close to or better than AS.

Sharpenability:This sharpened up like a champ. I did not go through a full grit progression, but prior to sending it to Pabloz, I went through a 2k, followed by 5k, then balsa loaded CO. It raised a burr well on both grits and burr removal was not an issue.

Profile: The profile is the only thing I might alter a little, although it looks more upswept towards the tip than it feels. I might lower the tip just a bit, and call it good. I like the idea of a gyuto hybrid where it is not as tall as a normal gyuto.

Overall: Great knife, fun to play with, falls through food and has great retention. Personally, the knife is too thin for my taste, but it is something I am sure the maker could adjust.

Here is a pic of a profile shot, from top to bottom: Moritaka KS, Rottman gyuto, Fujiwara, and DT.

IMG_1616.jpg

Here it is after touch up.

IMG_0911w.jpgIMG_0916w.jpgIMG_0919w.jpg

I hope it is acceptable. Put a new edge to 5K Chosera and CrO3 strop. This really is one sweet knife. It is thin...Laser thin at .077 or 1.97mm atop the heal. I really don't think I'll be putting it through any strenuous work much less a 30 hr. marathon.

PZ

It does look a little nicer now........

Well Eamon here comes another. I'm gonna play just a little more but it should be out by Saturday to you by Tuesday. All your previous addy info still good?

Tinh...what amount did you want this insured for??

Left ABQ today for DFW. Enjoy Eamon.

Parting thoughts:
I will miss this knife. It was fun! Sharpened really easily. Burr came up quick and fell of on the strop easily. That could be an indicator of a softer blade but since I really did not put it through any rigorous tasks edge degeredation was insignificant to me. My wife and Chef James also loved it. It was truely pleasurable and set a standard to aspire to.
THANK YOU Tinh!!!!

PZ

Cool, I thought you solved the issue of how to come to Texas and mailed yourself in a crate.

Glad you liked it, Paul. Thanks for the TLC and keeping it moving in a timely fashion. I'm looking forward to having it back. :)

Alrighty folks, last call on this passaround! That goes for righties AND lefties! :hoot:

Any chance of sending the righty my way on it's way home?

Alright, we'll make it Crothcipt, Spike and one more stop before coming back to me. I think that'll be it for this passaround unless anymore lefties come out of the woodwork. :wink:

wow I got this in today and I can not tell that it has been all over the country. The blade is so taken care of I am afraid:sofa: to even put a smudge on it. Eamon did you do any stropping or anything on this, I cant tell at all.

well gonna have to do some cutting this week and do some comparing with other steals.

Ty again for letting me try this out.:thumbsup:

I am very impressed with this knife, and steel. I got it from Eamon with a beautiful edge. With using it all week with moderate knife work, I only had to strop. after work on fri. and just before I sent it off.

The hybred part of the knife was def. different. When I was pinch gripping it I wanted to slide down to the end of the handle and hold it there. When I would use it for slicing on the end of the handle it felt right, were as normally I would feel very uncomfortable. I have no idea why this was a second, but then again i don't own a custom yet.

...I have no idea why this was a second...
It was an experimental knife and the finish was not great. I have a feeling PabloZ took care of a lot of the latter part.

...but then again i don't own a custom yet.
The "custom"-ness of it has nothing to do with anything. Not all customs are created equal and some are a better value than others depending on what is important to you. Knowing what Rottman/Tilman's custom stuff is like, I had no problem springing for a second.

I agree with you there. Lovely knife. I wouldn't mind owning a second either. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk there. I was trying to say that in my mind he hit the mark, and even more. I'm sure I would be blown away with a first.

Back