Official Forum Bird thread?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the grill? Charcoal or gas? Looks great, crispy on the outside makes for an awesome bird.

Figured what better way to christen a new slicer than to have a go at the official forum bird... Deboned a la Pepin. Stuffing consisting of corn bread, potato bread, bacon, spinach, fennel, onion, celery, shallots, garlic and a bit of chicken stock, though not enough to make the bread soggy ( there will be plenty of juices from the chicken itself to soak up during cooking )

Obligatory picture of the knives that will be in use:
hsBDQmY.jpg

Bird deboned and ready for stuffage:
0rfXPLK.jpg

Stuffing applied:
g5aUNBe.jpg

Rolled and tied:
9nUHwnH.jpg

aHktH5M.jpg

Roasted and ready to slice:
x7W1Rku.jpg

Slicing commenced: ( My new Mike Davis suji did an amazing job of this, very effortless feeling slices )
28DjzUt.jpg

K-Fed that looks great. Did you redistribute meat to get a rounder stuffing? I noticed on my duck that it looks like a "T".

I followed pepins suggestions butter flying the breasts a little to fill in the void left by the neck, and placing the tenders just above the thighs to fill in that spot. Worked beautifully.

Here are two I made for a little gatheering a few months ago. After sutffing, I bagged and Sous Vide them 24hrs at 140, rapid chilled, then just popped them in a 425 degree oven until internal temp was 150, after resting, the temp rose to 163. I let them rest until the came down to 140.

I did one this weekend that I stuffed with Mujahadrra.

Actually, pretty much everything gets intoxicated. And many species LIKE it:tease:

I will eat anything, but I would not get away with serving that teddy bear looking one to the wife and kids. ..lol

I'd like to see the how to video on that bear :D

Lol that bear is so wrong and sooo awesome.
I really would like to see a "how to" on that. Perhaps you could make "thread" out of the tendons from the tenders (if you broke down a bunch of other chickens first) or maybe just some skin cut into long, thin strips?
Does meat-glue work on skin?

Oh man what my 12yr old self wouldn't have given for the chance to serve this to his 6yr old little sister.... especially after she'd spent a few hours looking for her missing bear...

The quail were tiny. It is a quail stuffed into a quail. They were brined with a bit of pink salt for color and then lightly smoked. I was thinking when it comes time to write the menu somebody is going to suggest calling it: Quail "Prosciutto". At that point I will probably regret ever having made it. Anyway, for better sense of scale.

image.jpg

Back