Okubo Blue #2 Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infrared

Reaction score
Complete tier list and the Okubo's ranking can be seen here: Japanese Knife Tier List

I don't believe in magical grinds, but this one's pretty close.

I don't think I've ever seen this knife struggle with anything. No matter how big or dense, it falls through. Probably the best carrot cutter I've used. No cracking or wedging whatsoever. The tip is thin enough for any detailed work. Profile is close to perfect. Much flatter than it seems in the pictures. The coarse, migaki finish has barely any contrast between the cladding and steel. The cladding seems somewhat prone to rusting.

The steel is also something special. As easy to sharpen as a Toyama, but with a better edge. Feels somewhat glassy when sharpening, but nothing too bad. Easily the best blue #2 steel I've used so far.

Measurements
Length: 215mm (santoku)
Height: 52mm
Spine: 4mm
Weight: 188g

Cutting Performance
Potatoes: S
Onions: S
Carrots: S

Steel
Edge retention: 3+ weeks (daily home use, large variety of vegetables)
Toughness: Some microchipping (I'm heavy-handed)
Ease of sharpening: S
Edge taking: S
Initial sharpness: S

Geometry

• Hybrid grind, hollow low grind (S grind?) near the heel, convex at the front.
  • Very noticeable distal taper.
Fit and Finish
  • Rounded spine.
  • Very nice handle.
20231016_091700.jpg20231016_091859.jpg20231016_091614.jpg20231016_091505.jpg20231016_091540.jpg20231016_091331.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

I recently bought a Ku 240 and love it. A bit thicker.
also surprised me how not reactive it was..? Wondering if that's been your experience.
I get small rust spots occasionally. It's tends to happen mostly near the pinch grip area.

This was ordered as a santoku, and not a gyuto? It looks terrific, thanks for sharing that video.

Back