Older Henckels 8" chef's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by Bagotnj and DerJaeger's posts here; here's an ebay purchase:
b1.jpg

Pretty good overall condition although the scales seemed dry as they were a light grey color. Here's an after and before image after an overnight soak in mineral oil:
c1.jpg

For a Henckels product the F&F was surprisingly poor. The spine and fingerguard showed low-grit grind marks that have since been sanded out. The tang showed a lip that wasn't fully removed when the scales were fitted. You can see a before and after image showing what I ground away.
d1.jpg

Note: heavily oil-soaked scales clog up sandpaper like nobody's business.
Also, when sharpened on a Shapton pro 1k this left very dark residue on the stone and a lot of it, at least it seemed so to me.

Took a great edge after just a few passes on my 1k after a very brief re-set of the secondary bevel at 19 degrees.
Also, I emailed Henx today to see if they could date it for me. My guess is 1965 +/- 10 years.
I'm also assuming these knives with the twins medallions on the scales were made to be sold mostly as sets.

Last edited:
Got a reply from Henx CS: "Kindly note that we do not have an exact date, however, from the Friodur logo observed on the blade, the knife was manufactured some time between 1950 and 1969. Most likely the 1950's going by the rivets in the handle."
Interesting.

Back