On the bench, or what I am up to

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking knives Del. Please put me in for the drawing. Any of your knives would be a joy to own I'm sure.
Thanks

All the line knives are on the way to their new owners. I have ten knives done for the show and about a dozen more on the bench in various stages of completion.

I will be offering a Damascus 150mm petty for sale in the next day or two. I looked at my funds available and I'm in need of a bit of travel money to get to the show.
Thanks,
Del

All the line knives are on the way to their new owners.....

Not anymore, got mine today. Beautiful work, thanks Del! Yeah, yeah, I know, will take and post a picture later ;)

Stefan

Not anymore, got mine today. Beautiful work, thanks Del! Yeah, yeah, I know, will take and post a picture later ;)

Stefan

I would appreciate that, I didn't get a chance to take pics of the last batch.
Del

100_1487.jpg

So this is the knife I am giving away.
I just caught the drawing and the first two numbers of the daily 4 are 97
So the winner is toddnmd

Thank you all for posting the pics.
Del

Congratulations and thanks for the opportunity, the parer looks like a winner!

Todd was the one looking at the Damascus pettys I have for sale and in my message I gave him the option to take the parer, or to take the parers value off the price of the petty.
So this one will be going on the block in a few.
Thanks,
Del

I want to thank Del for the generosity of this giveaway! And even better about his flexibility so I could get the knife I really wanted! (Though I would have been quite happy with the parer, I'm sure someone is going to snatch that up soon!)

And just this morning I was telling myself, "Come on, you've only got a 1% chance of winning . . . "

And thanks for the congrats from the other folks on here!

Havnt posted here for a few days so I thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.
I have had an interesting couple of days. It's tax season, spent all of yesterday organizing my paperwork, and today was my appointment. Spent two hours in there with my accountant today. It's no fun, but I have had the same accountant since the beginning, and we both know the routine.

So, now for the good news, I had the opportunity to go to a local sawmill that I havnt been to in quite a few years. In the past they have had some of he best curly maple I have seen. I spent a couple hours there today, and picked out a bunch of great wood. I got one board of bicolor curly maple, and one of curly with just insane curl that was 8 inches wide and over 8 feet long. I also got a couple of good sized boards of spalted beech too. My last find was a bicolor Birdseye maple with the tightest grouping of eyes I have ever seen.
I spent a little time cutting some of this stuff up tonight, the Birdseye is the only one I really have to spend much time on, there are some blank areas on that one.
I'm thinking about getting some of the curly maple color processed like what Mark has been doing with the maple he has.
I have been using some of the colored woods lately and the response has been good. It will take a bit of time to get this stuff processed and back to me, but I will have lots of maple available soon in various forms.
I have two boxes of stuff ready to go now to be stabilized, and there is another two boxes, at least in the stuff I got today.
There is curly maple, Birdseye maple, spalted curly maple, and lots of maple burl, along with some spalted beech, and a few other things I forgot.
Thanks,
Del

Sent 30 lbs of wood off for stabilization today. Should be at least one more box going out and probably two.
I still have a bunch of the maple burl, and lots of the curly that I'm planning to have dyed.
Del

Birdseye is my favorite wood. I hope you share some pics when you get it back. Would love to see it :)

Sending off another box of wood tomorrow, this is all stuff to be dyed. About half is maple burl and curly maple to be dyed brown. The other half is curly maple that will be red, blue, green, and purple.
I cut my blocks a bit smaller than Mark does, usually suitable for one knife handle. There are 77 blocks in this batch.
This is all in one box, in addition to the two boxes I sent off earlier this week for clear stabilization. Now I will have some maple to use for awhile.
Del

So, I was reminded that I did a sale for mothers day last year, and asked if I was going to do another one this year.
It is a lot later than when I started last year, and I still don't want to do a prebuy for it.
However, I am going to start a run of parings, and a few more mini nakiris.
I just got some AEBL in today, so I'll be cutting baldes today and heat treating tomorrow.
I don't know how many there will be, given the time we have left, but I'll be posting them as I finish them.
I don't have any word on the wood that I sent out yet, so we will just have to see how that goes.
I did score a couple of big boards of curly Koa the other day, so I may be able to put that into service in a month and a half or so.
There should be enough for more than 50 handles, assuming the figure is good throughout.
In my digging I also found a large block of curly bubinga that I didn't even know I had.
That will be going out in the next batch of stuff for stabilization.
BTW my forge is down for a week or so, while I wait on a new blower for it.
Thanks,
Del

Another bit of news, I decided to get a new eletro-etch machine for my makers mark. They were able to pull the artwork from my previous stencil and make a new one. I have a couple of options, but from now on all my knives will be marked with my last name, with the possible exception of my initials D.E. in script. I might just reserve that for special occasions. I can also use ealy knives, but I think its a bit gaudy.
So, no more misplaced letters when marking, and if I screw up, I can always redo the mark.
I feel like a kid with a new toy, but I had one of these years ago, and switched.
There is also the possibility of new artwork in the future as well.
Anyway, I figured it was time to switch.
Thanks,
Del

I got the Koa in and cut up, but it needs some drying time, I also got in some nice red mallee burl, and some curly pyinma that has some nice character.
I'm working on some paring knives, so I won't be cutting that stuff up right away, it will need to dry as well. Although its agony just letting it sit there for me to look at. The pyinma block is 7"x 8"x 9" which doesn't sound like a lot, but its an 18 lb chunk, and will make a lot of handles.

Back