Opinions on the Sakai Takayuki Homura Kogetsu Gyuto, by Itsuo Doi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperLougat

Reaction score
I'm browsing knives online again (much to the dismay of my wallet) and i've found myself drawn to the profile of the Sakai Takayuki Homura Kogestsu 240mm Gyuto by Itsuo Doi - does anyone have any experience using this knife/style of knife, or could fill me in a little on what to expect from this blacksmith? I've attached a listing photo for reference just in case I absolutely butchered the spelling and no-one knows what i'm talking about. Thanks!
0c4aa67727c8b086c355f2f6e8f265b7.png

I have had the 210mm (closer to 200mm) version of this knife for 2 maybe 3 years. From the photo you posted it looks like you are looking at a 240mm. I will try to write you up some quick notes before I have to get ready for sleep.

• This knife is one of the most relaxing knives for me to use. It was my go to knife for a long time when I was doing bulk prep at work. I would touch up at the end of my week and sharpen at the end of two weeks. In a work day I would cut roughly 75lbs onions, 60lb bell peppers, 8lb herbs, 10lb spicy peppers, 20lb chicken or beef. I only on occasion used this to cut the citrus fruit at work for reasons listed below.

• This knife can be a great transition knife if you are more use to western style knives. You will want to use deferent techniques for finer cuts. I use a reverse onion cutting style with it and I was able to get under 6sec for an onion dice.

• The handle has a slight level change from wood to horn. It is still comfortable for both racket and pinch grip.

• The soft cladding and Blue#2 are both very reactive once you remove the oil it comes with. My knife defiantly changed color throughout my work week. It is very stable once you put on a patina. It will rust real quick with vinegar exposure and citrus fruit will strip the color with ease.

• This knife has an amazing convex grind (it was loved by all my old coworkers). The top 1/3 has a very slight convex grind starting at the spine. The remaining 2/3 has a more aggressive convex grind as you approach the edge. You do have some rounding on the choil and spine but everything is still well defined.

• The finish is similar to a Takada no Hamono Suiboku finish but is smoother when you run your finger across the blade. The patina is more detailed and colorful than that on a Suiboku finish as well.

• I did have issues with micro chipping and chipping at the heel when I first go it. I was using it on hard plastic restaurant boards. At home on wood and high-soft boards it is just fine.

• Sharpening on this knife requires a verity of styles. If you have not sharpened something like a butches straight back knife before you just kinda figure it out. I would recommend stropping it on your stones and being mindful of the convex grind it has. I do a 800 and 4k grit sharpening to for a robust edge with good micro-serrations.

• This knife is the complete opposites of something like a Takeda grind and weight. It is a completes work horse grind with some weight. This thing will go for hours and hours. It will go through most anything and If you do meet resistance a little pressure gose a long way.
If you have any questions please do ask!

Back