Outdoor wok-ing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here we call it DISKO. I was first exposed when I had my landscaping company in El Paso and had a crew of three brothers from Juarez that would "hace tuna dicada" where they would basically make a Mexican stir fry with nopales, cebolla, ajo, jalapeno y bistec and serve with pico de gallo y cilantro on corn tortillas by the kilo. The wok aka "disko" was an old disk from a farm harrow with the center hole welded shut. Then they would stand it up on cinder blocks and make a fire from scrap wood from the job site y hace lonche.

MUCH more rustic than this:

http://www.disc-it.com/

PZ

I've been doing a good bit of cooking in the wok since I've gotten it. I wish I would have bought such a setup a couple years ago when I first started looking around for outdoor wok-ing stuff. It really is a blast, not to mention the food is great. Nothing against chinese take out places but I've gotten much better results on my own then I've ever had at any place around here. Any way pics or it didn't happen right....

The first thing I made in the wok was a little egg fried rice for breakfast. Turned out great with no noticeable sticking issues.

527369_480663318621011_2127864880_n.jpg

Next was a little pad thai. I learned on this one that the burner gets way too hot to crank it up with nothing in the wok and ended up blasting off the season in the wok and the rice noodles stuck a little. No biggie. just cleaned and re-seasoned it the next evening.

404174_480867165267293_1156469461_n.jpg

and lastly made a little szechuan chicken stir-fry.

644522_481263665227643_487795311_n.jpg

Anyone have any recipes that you would like to share? I'm open to just about anything even if it doesn't involve traditional chinese/thai ingredients or flavors.

Most Asian markets will have a wok type burner, the more btu the better.

Back