Owl Woodworks Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comet Honyaki Wide Bevel Gyuto

Length: 235mm
Height: 59mm
Thickness: 3.25mm
Weight: 220g
Steel: W2 Tool Steel
Handle: Spalted Maple/mystery black synthetic

I think my favourite part of this knife is that it is 100% as a result of KKF. Before this forum I had never heard of Trey or Comet Knives. In fact I don’t think anybody outside of this forum has. Seems to be a very niche obsession among us crazy collectors. Wasn’t until I got here and saw all the crazy passion for his work that I started to wonder, why? I went to Trey’s instagram page and admired all his work, then searched “Comet” on KKF and looked at all his knives that have been posted here. I could of course see why his work is so highly spoken of, next I needed to figure out which Comet I would like to get. From everything he had done, the honyaki’s were by far my favourite and the honyaki wide bevels were absolutely top tier. Of the three or four of those he made, there was one and maybe one other that looked like his absolute best work. Chasing knives from a retired maker who was only active for a couple years is a pretty difficult task, chasing one specific knife from that maker?!? Damn near impossible.

However, fortunately for me, A friend that I had made on the forum was actually the owner of it. As much as I wanted it though, I actually hate the thought of taking a knife from somebody who really loves it. Especially when they are the kind of person who is actually nice enough to let you have it. It sucks saying goodbye to something you love. So I made him the best offer I could. “Name your price, and if you EVER want it back, I will sell it back to you immediately for the same price, and if I ever decide to sell it, I will offer it to you first.” That way he never actually has to say goodbye to the knife. He can always have it back at a moments notice. However I of course pray that he never asks for it back!! So now that I have this extremely special and well loved knife, I feel like I have a responsibility to use it and love it lots! And oh boy have I!

This has been my daily driver for a couple months now. It’s as amazing as everybody says and twice as beautiful in person. The Hamon is incredibly bold, the shinogi line is ridiculously crisp, consistent and defined and the performance is excellent. I would say the performance is most similar to the Kaiju but still feels like a wide bevel like my Milan. While the Milan is a thoroughbred workhorse wide bevel, this Comet wide bevel is a little on the thinner side. 1mm thinner to be exact. Taking into account the handle on the Milan is quite heavy, I’d say the weight difference of the two actual blades is about 40g. Though not all that weight is in the thickness, it’s also 4mm taller at 59mm which I love. I thought I loved 240/55 knives but I think 240/60 may be my new favourite! So if I had to describe it, it’d be like a… wide bevel honyaki kaiju… but taller?! I don’t think I have to tell you that is a pretty cool combo to have in a knife. While I prefer the feel of a heavier knife like my Milan I will say it feels pretty good in hand. Speaking of in hand, the handle is one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I’ve ever seen. And that’s saying something considering I have a considerable amount of experience with wood… Not like that! It is finished excellently, however I’m not a huge fan of what appears to be a very skinny piece of G10 used to cap the handle at the bolster. I think this could have been done a bit more elegantly as either a spacer further down or just have been made larger so it seems like more of a design decision than just a cap to cover the handle hole.

This has been an incredibly fun and interesting knife to use. It has given me an appreciation for thinner wide bevels and taller knives. While I appreciate a heavier knife, it makes me wonder what my perfect knife is? 240/60 with maybe a 3.5mm spine to be halfway between the Comet and Milan and get the extra weight I like? Oh, and it would have to have a Yanick tip of course!

But enough about all that, I love this knife, I am honoured to own it and I like using it so much that I must apologize for not taking too much time to tidy it up. I just wanted to get it photographed and get it back in the house to make dinner! So here it is, my Comet Honyaki Wide Bevel Gyuto for your viewing pleasure! One day I’ll get a sick set of JNats, and polish it back to its former glory! But for now, it’s already dirty again as I just used it to make salsa! and I apologize for the dusty thumb print, and those weird marks on the blade are where it contacts my magnetic knife rack and the light oil I put on it has come off slightly.

DSC05120.jpg
DSC05122.jpg
DSC05124.jpg
DSC05125.jpg
DSC05126.jpg
DSC05123.jpg
DSC05127-2.jpg
IMG_1119-2.jpg

Comet Honyaki Wide Bevel Gyuto

Length: 235mm
Height: 59mm
Thickness: 3.25mm
Weight: 220g
Steel: W2 Tool Steel
Handle: Spalted Maple/mystery black synthetic

I think my favourite part of this knife is that it is 100% as a result of KKF. Before this forum I had never heard of Trey or Comet Knives. In fact I don’t think anybody outside of this forum has. Seems to be a very niche obsession among us crazy collectors. Wasn’t until I got here and saw all the crazy passion for his work that I started to wonder, why? I went to Trey’s instagram page and admired all his work, then searched “Comet” on KKF and looked at all his knives that have been posted here. I could of course see why his work is so highly spoken of, next I needed to figure out which Comet I would like to get. From everything he had done, the honyaki’s were by far my favourite and the honyaki wide bevels were absolutely top tier. Of the three or four of those he made, there was one and maybe one other that looked like his absolute best work. Chasing knives from a retired maker who was only active for a couple years is a pretty difficult task, chasing one specific knife from that maker?!? Damn near impossible.

However, fortunately for me, A friend that I had made on the forum was actually the owner of it. As much as I wanted it though, I actually hate the thought of taking a knife from somebody who really loves it. Especially when they are the kind of person who is actually nice enough to let you have it. It sucks saying goodbye to something you love. So I made him the best offer I could. “Name your price, and if you EVER want it back, I will sell it back to you immediately for the same price, and if I ever decide to sell it, I will offer it to you first.” That way he never actually has to say goodbye to the knife. He can always have it back at a moments notice. However I of course pray that he never asks for it back!! So now that I have this extremely special and well loved knife, I feel like I have a responsibility to use it and love it lots! And oh boy have I!

This has been my daily driver for a couple months now. It’s as amazing as everybody says and twice as beautiful in person. The Hamon is incredibly bold, the shinogi line is ridiculously crisp, consistent and defined and the performance is excellent. I would say the performance is most similar to the Kaiju but still feels like a wide bevel like my Milan. While the Milan is a thoroughbred workhorse wide bevel, this Comet wide bevel is a little on the thinner side. 1mm thinner to be exact. Taking into account the handle on the Milan is quite heavy, I’d say the weight difference of the two actual blades is about 40g. Though not all that weight is in the thickness, it’s also 4mm taller at 59mm which I love. I thought I loved 240/55 knives but I think 240/60 may be my new favourite! So if I had to describe it, it’d be like a… wide bevel honyaki kaiju… but taller?! I don’t think I have to tell you that is a pretty cool combo to have in a knife. While I prefer the feel of a heavier knife like my Milan I will say it feels pretty good in hand. Speaking of in hand, the handle is one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I’ve ever seen. And that’s saying something considering I have a considerable amount of experience with wood… Not like that! It is finished excellently, however I’m not a huge fan of what appears to be a very skinny piece of G10 used to cap the handle at the bolster. I think this could have been done a bit more elegantly as either a spacer further down or just have been made larger so it seems like more of a design decision than just a cap to cover the handle hole.

This has been an incredibly fun and interesting knife to use. It has given me an appreciation for thinner wide bevels and taller knives. While I appreciate a heavier knife, it makes me wonder what my perfect knife is? 240/60 with maybe a 3.5mm spine to be halfway between the Comet and Milan and get the extra weight I like? Oh, and it would have to have a Yanick tip of course!

But enough about all that, I love this knife, I am honoured to own it and I like using it so much that I must apologize for not taking too much time to tidy it up. I just wanted to get it photographed and get it back in the house to make dinner! So here it is, my Comet Honyaki Wide Bevel Gyuto for your viewing pleasure! One day I’ll get a sick set of JNats, and polish it back to its former glory! But for now, it’s already dirty again as I just used it to make salsa! and I apologize for the dusty thumb print, and those weird marks on the blade are where it contacts my magnetic knife rack and the light oil I put on it has come off slightly.

View attachment 275195View attachment 275196View attachment 275199View attachment 275198View attachment 275200View attachment 275197View attachment 275201View attachment 275202
My wife bevel fetish is in full explosive lust right now. What a beauty. Crazy good pickup

I think you pointed out a pretty cool point about KKF specifically which is that there is a gentleman’s handshake deal to buy/sell with trust that you prioritize giving it back

Life is a roller coaster and sometimes you don’t have the time, money or other factors to fully enjoy this hobby. I’m glad to see both you and many others obtain knives from people who want them enjoyed by other people, especially the really rare stuff

Teruyasu Fujiwara Stag Denka Gyuto

Length: 242mm
Height: 53.2mm
Thickness: 3mm
Weight: 329g
Steel: Aogami Super / Stainless Clad
Handle: Stag Antler

I've been making a ton of progress toward my dream japanese gyuto collection. Acquiring incredible pieces from legendary makers has been a lot of fun. So far there have been knives that were everything I'd hoped for, lived up to expectations, and ones that were a hilarious disappointment and hugely overhyped. Most of those are just me realizing what the reality of all these coveted knives really is. You never really know until you actually get it in your hands no matter how many you look at and read about online.

With all of those knives though, I still have every intention of keeping them. They are all special and unique in their own way, even if its not in a good way. This knife however is very different.

I purchased this Teruyasu Fujiwara Stag Handled Denka from a good friend in Japan I'm willing to bet all of you know, Mark. He received it directly from the man himself. It had been in his display case for over a decade and he managed to talk him into parting with it. Mark then had museum grade kiri boxes made by a traditional Japanese craftsman using Japanese Paulownia. He then returned with the whole set to have the kiri box signed by Teruyasu Fujiwara who was apparently a touch nervous about his calligraphy penmanship.

There is something about understanding the story of this being a denka which is his quintessential piece, stashed away in a display case never to be sold, then fitted into a proper kiri box and signed by the legend himself. When I heard all that I knew I had to have it in my collection. However I was and still am surprised that this changed so muchwhen I received it. Reading about it is one thing but as soon as I got it in hand it wasn't just a story and photos anymore. It was real and in my hand and it is honestly too special for me. This knife should not be hanging on my humble knife rack. I realize I have some amazing pieces that cost double what this knife costs, by they are nowhere near as precious as this. This knife belongs in a museum, in a collectors cabinet or on the wall as art. And I am none of those people.

As such, I am beyond flattered and honoured to have this knife in my collection right now, but you can expect it to be up on BST in the coming days. It's too special for a blue collared simpleton like me. By the time it got to me here in Canada I had paid approximately $1,500 and I of course intend to sell it for the same or trade for a regular 240 Denka (that will suit me a bit better). It's beautifully proportioned at 242/53/3 and while I don't have experience with a ton of denka's, of the two or three I have owned, it's clear he put a little extra effort into the grind on this one. Not a lot more effort! but definitely better than the rest I've seen 😂

Oh and in case you're wondering which knife was hilariously over hyped... *coughcough* Jiro *cough*

DSC05336.jpg
DSC05339.jpg
DSC05345.jpg
DSC05346.jpg
DSC05347.jpg
DSC05349.jpg

I adore what this thread represents. Too often do I find myself using a knife, and selling it off without ever giving it a thorough overview, and documenting. The idea of digitizing the collection as it goes is very inspiring. Great stuff Luke!

I adore what this thread represents. Too often do I find myself using a knife, and selling it off without ever giving it a thorough overview, and documenting. The idea of digitizing the collection as it goes is very inspiring. Great stuff Luke!
Thank you! Yea I decided a couple days ago it wasn’t for me but definitely wanted to make sure to document it. It’s been cool for me to see and I want everybody else to see cool pieces like this. Thank you Logan

I visited TF in 2018.
The stag handled knives were tucked away on the top shelf of a display cabinet above the "famed" red handled Denkas.
You can just make out the 5 stag handled blades in this terrible picture...
TFStag.jpg

Very cool to see one liberated from captivity...

Last edited:
Back