Owl Woodworks Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: the Catcheside convo from earlier this summer, I will agree that Will's handle making is not as strong as his knifemaking. Interestingly, my older Catchesides (2015-2018) have what I would consider much more refined handle construction. The basic wenge wa handles were slimmer, less square and blocky and instead more rectangular, and overall just better proportioned. Of his custom-grade handles, I have a tapered ironwood wa that's super nice and a d-handle that is to die for.

I suspect the reasons of the shift might be three-fold: 1) He is focusing more of his time and energy on his forging and so the handles while not exactly an after thought don't always receive special attention; 2) His custom/non-wenge handles have always been on the pricier side and so in terms of affordability, him spending less time on handles equates to cheaper prices he can offer; 3) That his newer forging style with the extreme spine taper means that the knife going into the handle is thicker and perhaps requires to his mind a thicker handle to accommodate it. (Of course, he could forge the the tang skinner and make them integral/semi-integral but again that goes back to point #2).

I personally prefer his older handle work. The only handle on the most recent 4 I've bought from him has been my ironwood wa handled cleaver, which feels great in hand. However, I will admit that I do think it's worth knowing when you buy his blades that he has quite a lot of variation between individual blades and that either the handle or the grind might be not to my tastes without adjustments. All that said though, they are great knives, and to his credit, Will's prices really haven't shifted much at all since I bought my first one 8 or 9 years ago.
That all makes so much sense, thank you for the bit of history. And you are absolutely right about the shear girth of the tang. When I pulled it apart I was shocked at how beefy it was. That is definitely something that is affecting the handle design for sure.

That all makes so much sense, thank you for the bit of history. And you are absolutely right about the shear girth of the tang. When I pulled it apart I was shocked at how beefy it was. That is definitely something that is affecting the handle design for sure.

Yeah 100%, I’ve mentioned it to him as I have big hands and some of the handles I’ve seen are uncomfortably big even for me. I also know he had some problems with wood cracking a year or two ago, particularly the wenge, and switched to used a dowel construction method which also tend to add to handle size. Not sure if he’s still using it since I haven’t had one from him in a while.

Yeah 100%, I’ve mentioned it to him as I have big hands and some of the handles I’ve seen are uncomfortably big even for me. I also know he had some problems with wood cracking a year or two ago, particularly the wenge, and switched to used a dowel construction method which also tend to add to handle size. Not sure if he’s still using it since I haven’t had one from him in a while.
No dowel in mine. I think what he is doing is drilling an oversized hole and just filling it with a lot of epoxy, then inserting the tang. The hour I spent chiseling and sanding confirms it is very strong 🤣

Toyama Bloomery Iron Gyuto

Length: 245mm
Height: 52mm
Thickness: 3mm
Weight: 200g
Steel: 130WCrV5/500 year old french anchor from bloomery iron
Handle: Chestnut/Horn

This is a perfect example of “Things I don’t deserve!” After making a post on here a while back asking people what knives I should add to my Japanese collection, a member reached out to me offering to sell me what was BY FAR the most difficult to attain knife on the list, this 240 bloomery iron Toyama (and for an unbelievably fair price too). Needless to say I graciously accepted and he has a pocket full of money, a new bar board and a little something extra that is currently on the way which I won’t spoil his surprise of here. To say I am beyond grateful for all the amazing people on this forum is an understatement. You guys are amazing and as such I want to do my best to tell you all about this knife so it’s not such a mystery piece and if you have the opportunity to get one one day, you’ll know what you’re getting!

As I sit here typing this I’m looking at the knife beside me and you can feel how special this piece is. The amount of activity going on in the cladding is wild. A beautifully classic Japanese profile and from what I can see visually, the geometry appears to be identical to how everyone else describes their Toyama’s. So I can only assume it performs just as incredibly as the rest of the knives. To go back to the cladding for a minute, my favourite part are these flowing rivers of tiny dark little pits. They’re more random on the upper parts of the cladding and then as the geometry changes closer to the edge you get this tight little line along the bottom edge of the cladding. Really beautiful. Overall, this knife oozes character and history.

Now unfortunately, it’s not all roses and chocolate covered strippers here. There are some things with the knife that I am extremely shocked by. And I want to preface this next part by saying this DOES NOT change how I feel about this knife. I am incredibly grateful to the last owner for giving me such a special piece and I absolutely love it.

However, for the more cosmetically minded collectors there are some serious flaws you should be aware of. First is the finish of the knife. I have heard that Toyama’s are rough but this is the single worst finished knife I’ve ever held. I sent pictures to other people and talked to one other person who owns a bloomery Toyama and the consensus was:

“Mine is terrible too”
“Send it back”
“That is unacceptable for a knife that costs so much”

I’m no fit and finish slut so these things really don’t bother me, I’m just happy to own such a special piece. But I will admit I find it strange that such a special piece would be finished so poorly. As a maker myself, I know that when I take on a special project, it gets an extra level of scrutiny because it’s so… special?! I dunno, like you don’t go to the butcher, splurge on the finest rib eyes they have and then cook them to a careless ‘well done’, right? Now I don’t know if the finishing on this knife was done by Toyama or JNS and I really don’t care because my goal isn’t to point fingers, it’s just to let you now that if you have an opportunity to purchase one of these, you should know what to expect. For what it is, and the price, it is likely not what you are expecting. I did my best to capture some of the scratches but I can say there are a tremendous amount of perpendicular grinding scratches still left at the tip, and a lot of diagonal scratches on the side, some that even span the entire side of the blade from edge to spine. The stray diagonal scratches cover the entirety of the blade and the perpendicular grinding scratches are only near the tip. And I am photographing these with the absolute harshest synthetic lighting. Also, I included a couple photos from JNS so you can see that these scratches were present before it reached the hands of the customer incase that is in question. And sorry one of my photos is not in perfect focus, I did my best.

My first thought was maybe some how this happened with the previous owner but he assured me it was only taken out to look at, and I went ahead and looked at the original JNS listing and compared individual scratches for a good hour or so and I can say that I could spot the vast majority of the scratches in the original listing as well. So nothing was hidden here, nothing shady going on, just surprisingly rough. I haven’t bothered to get detail shots of the whole blade, just some of the front half so you can get an idea of how it looks.

Lastly, and this one kind of reinforces the lack of care that went into the knife is the handle installation. The previous owner was given the option to have the handle left off or installed. He chose to have it installed. Now I’m no handle installation expert but the last photo is with the handle laid flat on my bench and I confirmed that all the angles and faces of the handle are true and as expected. However the blade is installed about 10 degrees off. Again, I know nothing about handle installation so maybe I’m missing something here and this is some kind of weird traditional thing or a right handed thing, but to me it looks… wrong? And everybody else I asked confirmed this is terrible. It is also very noticeably twisted when looking at how it is inserted into the bolster so it is not an optical illusion of any kind.

Oh, and one other thing I forgot and I don't know if this is normal, good enough or bad. I have no idea. But the knife and the kiri box don't appear to be meant to be together. The knife is in a standard paper/carboard box which is then inside the kiri box. However there are these little blocks of wood added at either end to take up the extra space. It's almost like the kiri box is made for a 270 so some extra wood was added so that everything sits snuggly. Maybe this is totally normal, my only experience with kiri boxes is with the kaiju and river jump and neither look like this. Normally I wouldn't think anything of it, but there does appear to be a pattern of care here that this fits.

So again, this is a wonderful knife because of what it inherently is at its core. However, my assessment is that there was very little care put into this knife, and based on my conversations with other collectors, my feelings are an understatement. I love this knife, and I am eternally grateful for the unparalleled generosity of the member who sold it to me. However, if you have the opportunity to purchase one of these, I want you to know what to expect and I recommend not having the handle installed.

I think this knife has the potential to be absolutely spectacular, just needs a stone wizard to pull out the inner beauty. @naader You busy? Wanna entertain us with a little polishing transformation thread?!?

View attachment 263141View attachment 263142View attachment 263143View attachment 263144View attachment 263146View attachment 263147View attachment 263145View attachment 263148
JNS Photos:
View attachment 263149View attachment 263150

Id be happy to clean that one up lol.
Pics are on you though, im terrible at documenting my work and camera skills are also severely lacking lol.

Yanick Puig Damascus Gyuto

(...)

I’ve always been speculative of hype on the forums for a lot of things but oh man does Yanick ever live up to it. It really is that good and I officially get it. If you have the opportunity to pick one of these up, (which let’s be serious, nobody does) please do it. If you don’t though, I still wholeheartedly recommend scooping up a Newham. In my experience, the cutting performance is nearly identical, except you will actually be able to get one!
That, my friend, increases both my excitement and impatience to a whole new level! :letseat:

Yanick Puig Kiridashi Set

Total Length: 185mm
Edge Length: 45mm
Thickness: 5mm
Weight: 163g
Steel: 1.2442/Old Iron

Absolutely honoured to have this new Kiridashi set from Yanick. He and I chat about our work sometimes and I was mentioning to him that I could really use a left and right handed kiridashi. Rights are everywhere, but lefts aren’t common, and sets are even less common. I used both left and right handed kiridashi's in my early woodworking training so I have become accustomed to having both. I gave him full creative freedom of course and was super pleased to see he used 1.2442 for the cutting edge as it’s a steel I’ve always wanted to try. Plus he says it would be perfect for my woodworking. They are substantial too which I absolutely love. I find most kiridashi’s too dainty for actual use. At least for western woodworking. So these being nice and large make me feel much more comfortable really pulling them through hard wood. Definitely the workhorses of kiridashi’s!

First thing I did was use them to build a box to store them. I wanted to make my take on the traditional kiri box. They were absolutely perfect for laying out the mortises for those floating beams in the middle that hold them. And most importantly, they were an absolute pleasure to use. I made the box out of a lovely piece of figured zircote I’ve been saving in a drawer for years. While I paid him for his work of course, I had enough leftover zircote that I decided to make him a Bar Board out of the same piece, as a little extra thank you. It has arrived in France with him and his wife and I am looking forward to hearing that it has been put to use!

As for the kiridashi’s, I can’t wait to use and abuse these in the shop some more. When I have a couple bucks to my name and start buying stones (looking at you @naader and @ethompson ), it’ll be fun to experiment with them for polishing too! Anyways, hope you enjoy the photos. Usually the photos are just to show my tools as best as possible, but I'll admit the first photos I'm just flexing my Yanick Certificates and thought it looked cool.😅

And as Yanick would say:
“…Not Available…😘"

E691150F-75AF-4278-B99C-50FE0DE74562DSC05009-2.jpg
E691150F-75AF-4278-B99C-50FE0DE74562DSC05009 2-2.jpg
DSC04847.jpg
DSC04868.jpg
DSC04869.jpg
DSC04866.jpg
DSC04867.jpg
DSC04851.jpg

I'm a fan of tiny jars, cups and pottery whiskey cups. I'm 100% on board with that setup. That wood is insane.

It's the perfect board for exactly two or three cocktail garnishes, his and hers. (Or his and hers and hers if it's that kind of night - I am making wild assumptions about French social life.)

I'm a fan of tiny jars, cups and pottery whiskey cups. I'm 100% on board with that setup. That wood is insane.

It's the perfect board for exactly two or three cocktail garnishes, his and hers. (Or his and hers and hers if it's that kind of night - I am making wild assumptions about French social life.)
Thank you so much and I couldn’t agree more. I often found myself not wanting to get out my full sized boards when all I need to do is slice a wedge of lime for a corona or mince a single clove of garlic. So the goal of these Bar Boards is to be a quick and super simple board you can literally fit in the palm of your hand. But also be absurdly luxurious and fun to use. Mine at home is ebony and I gotta say it’s so much fun chopping a single orange wheel on a little pedestal of some of the rarest wood on the planet.

Absolutely honoured to have this new Kiridashi set from Yanick. He and I chat about our work sometimes and I was mentioning to him that I could really use a left and right handed kiridashi. Rights are everywhere, but lefts aren’t common, and sets are even less common. I used both left and right handed kiridashi's in my early woodworking training so I have become accustomed to having both. I gave him full creative freedom of course and was super pleased to see he used 1.2442 for the cutting edge as it’s a steel I’ve always wanted to try. Plus he says it would be perfect for my woodworking. They are substantial too which I absolutely love. I find most kiridashi’s too dainty for actual use. At least for western woodworking. So these being nice and large make me feel much more comfortable really pulling them through hard wood. Definitely the workhorses of kiridashi’s!

First thing I did was use them to build a box to store them. I wanted to make my take on the traditional kiri box. They were absolutely perfect for laying out the mortises for those floating beams in the middle that hold them. And most importantly, they were an absolute pleasure to use. I made the box out of a lovely piece of figured zircote I’ve been saving in a drawer for years. While I paid him for his work of course, I had enough leftover zircote that I decided to make him a Bar Board out of the same piece, as a little extra thank you. It has arrived in France with him and his wife and I am looking forward to hearing that it has been put to use!

As for the kiridashi’s, I can’t wait to use and abuse these in the shop some more. When I have a couple bucks to my name and start buying stones (looking at you @naader and @ethompson ), it’ll be fun to experiment with them for polishing too! Anyways, hope you enjoy the photos. Usually the photos are just to show my tools as best as possible, but I'll admit the first photos I'm just flexing my Yanick Certificates and thought it looked cool.😅

And as Yanick would say:
“…Not Available…😘"

View attachment 266148View attachment 266147View attachment 266152View attachment 266150View attachment 266149View attachment 266154View attachment 266151View attachment 266153

Really lovely kiri pair, and that box is just next level!

Stunning. Stunning. Stunning.

And as Yanick would say:
“…Not Available…😘"

View attachment 266148View attachment 266147View attachment 266152View attachment 266150View attachment 266149View attachment 266154View attachment 266151View attachment 266153
Love that box!

Will Stelter Chef / Paring Knife Set

Chef Knife

Length: 200mm
Height: 50mm
Thickness: 3mm
Weight: 142g
Steel: 1085
Handle: African Blackwood/Brass

Paring Knife

Length: 75mm
Height: 26mm
Thickness: 2mm
Weight: 34g
Steel: 1085
Handle: African Blackwood/Brass

I’ve had this set for a year and a bit now, just been waiting for the perfect set of boards to photograph them on. This set of boards is actually going to a KKF member which is pretty cool. They’re my one set of “famous” knives in that they are from Will Stelter’s Journeysmith Test Set and the chef knife won Best Chef Knife at Blade Show 2022. Pretty cool having an award winning knife at home and from the youngest smith on my rack at 22 years old. Of all the knives I have, these knives are BY FAR the best finished knives I’ve ever seen (with the exception of Don Nguyen’s work). I think there are two reasons for that. The first is it is just Will’s standard of work, and the second is that he probably put in a little extra effort knowing that they would be judged and determine if he gets his Journeysmith qualification. That hand sanded finish is flawless and the tightness of the handle fitment is like nothing I’ve ever seen. I can’t stress that enough, the heirloom fit on these knives is absolutely perfect no matter how close you look. It’s crazy. Everything is so sharp and crisp and the heirloom fit is so subtle and consistent all the way around. It’s honestly wild. The only knives I’ve ever seen that are comparable are from Don Nguyen. These two guys are making the best finished knives in the world right now and third place is not even close.

I use the chef knife lots for when my usual 220-250 gyuto’s are just a little too large for the job. Any time I’m on my smaller board, and especially if I want to rock chop something, this is my go to. My wife and guests also absolutely love it because it is a more familiar western profile for them and the handle is a little smaller than the normal/large handles I prefer. After a year and a bit, the 1085 is still holding a very keen edge, and after all the use it has gotten from me, my wife and guest, it is also undamaged which seems like a miracle considering the clumsy hands that have used it.

Will is now leaning into slightly larger knives with a more gyuto profile so I am glad I managed to grab what is likely going to be a less common style from him. As for the paring knife, I actually haven’t used this one at all. I purchased it at the same time as the chef knife but I kind of prefer stainless knives for paring knives. I also have a rule of only having one knife from each maker which I have so far only broken for Yanick. So I’ll probably sell the paring knife since I love the chef knife so much. Maybe I’ll sell it with a Bar Board?! Oh maybe I could get a piece of African Blackwood to make it out of, that would be a perfect set. Brass feet would match the brass bolster too! Hmmm, my wheels are turning and I’m getting excited!!!

For now though, let’s look at these knives!

DSC05107.jpg
DSC05108.jpg
DSC05109.jpg
DSC05110.jpg
DSC05133.jpg
DSC05117.jpg
DSC05116.jpg

Those look sweet. I looked up the guy and the first thing on his home page is this...I don't know why this is such a turnoff for me but it is, probably in the minority. Same with bidinger a bit, but it's like why do you have to inject that into selling knives? It just seems like a lot lol

will.png

I don't know why this is such a turnoff for me but it is, probably in the minority. Same with bidinger a bit, but it's like why do you have to inject that into selling knives? It just seems like a lot lol
I'm assuming you're referring to the religious element. I don't think putting it in the "About Me" is really injecting it into the selling of his knives. It's clearly a massive part of his identity and therefore makes sense to be front and centre in his "About Me" if it is in fact what he feels is most important about him. At the end of the day, he's a nice guy and he makes sick knives and that's all I care about. But I totally understand how that could be a turn off for you when you are expecting knife content and get something different.

If however you are referring to his dog Marty, I 100% disagree, Marty is an absolute beauty and you can show yourself out. 🤣

I'm with Luke. I'm personally very *not* into all that stuff. But if it's important to them and they aren't trying to force it on anybody else, or judge them - I don't see why it's an issue in the about me section. If someone put they're a die hard bulls/Texas/Bama fan nobody would blink an eye.

But each to their own and if it turns you off that's also understandable.

I guess because its the first thing on his page, vs just a small about me somewhere else on his site? But yeah like I said I think I'm in the minority. I guess I might just find it weird? It only seems to be a knifemaking thing where I tend to notice people announcing their love of jesus to the world, just not used to that I guess lol.

And yes I am a big dog guy lol

You see plenty of it in football players, some celebrities, a lot of politicians. It probably is a bit weird, but like making knives is kinda a weird thing to do. So is collecting them.

Sometimes those who preach the loudest about love and forgiveness are the least understanding of those who are different. They kinda ruin it for all the others and create that ick vibe about things like this. I sometimes have a reaction to it then try remind myself that someone making knives in the middle of nowhere probably isn't one of those guys. They tend to end up in politics instead 😂.

'Big dog guy' - what do you have against little dogs? One hurt you as a child 😁

P.s. Luke what other amazing knives are you hiding waiting for the right board to shoot on!

You see plenty of it in football players, some celebrities, a lot of politicians. It probably is a bit weird, but like making knives is kinda a weird thing to do. So is collecting them.

Sometimes those who preach the loudest about love and forgiveness are the least understanding of those who are different. They kinda ruin it for all the others and create that ick vibe about things like this. I sometimes have a reaction to it then try remind myself that someone making knives in the middle of nowhere probably isn't one of those guys. They tend to end up in politics instead 😂.

'Big dog guy' - what do you have against little dogs? One hurt you as a child 😁

P.s. Luke what other amazing knives are you hiding waiting for the right board to shoot on!
Oh yeah for sure, I guess not used to seeing it in personal life and hobbies first and foremost? But yeah to each their own

Reactions: JB1
Back