Pacific Northwest Gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look who was here:

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1476061408.395995.jpg

Hhahaa just wanted to tease you guys here are some more shots from the gathering =)

DW6wRPZ.jpg

1FBJWye.jpg

C2PTxoR.jpg

Brothers reunite:
X2aQkQ5.jpg

Moment of truth (*bonus face shot of the man himself):
z2BbuiM.jpg

Yea I would be curious, also curious about the secrecy and delay.

The winners were announced on the other forum, but it seems to be down and has been for the last day or so.

Brian Raquin (sp?) was the winner. The judges made clear that their criteria were based on using the knives in a pro kitchen, 8 hours or more a day. All the knives were good cutters; it was small things like steering that separated the entries.

After the contest attendees got to try out the knives--different users preferred different knives, just as you'd expect.

The winners were announced on the other forum, but it seems to be down and has been for the last day or so.

Brian Raquin (sp?) was the winner. The judges made clear that their criteria were based on using the knives in a pro kitchen, 8 hours or more a day. All the knives were good cutters; it was small things like steering that separated the entries.

After the contest attendees got to try out the knives--different users preferred different knives, just as you'd expect.

It was really fun to be able to try so many different makers knives in one place. I think the other note is while the judges loved Brian's for an 8 hour shift, they really enjoyed and preferred some of the other knives for home use. One of the judges, Taro actually grabbed a knife from Don Nguyen directly following the competition =)

I talked with Taro about his favorites for pure cutting performance and it was completely different than what he would want for a 8 hour shift. Since all the knives cut amazingly well, the main decision point for the 8 hour shift was balance and weight. While many of us on the forums (myself included) prefer slightly beefier knives both the judges preferred lighter knives as they talked about how after a long shift their hands are sometimes cramped/heavily fatigued.

The list on the other forum was thus (I think!);

1.Raquin
2.Dalman
3.Maumasi
4.Prendergast
5/6 Were Nguyen/Haburn, or Haburn/Nguyen, I can't remember in which order because I was crying so hard that I didn't come 1st.

Anyway, it was just for fun, and I'm sure on a different day the order would be different.

The list on the other forum was thus (I think!);

1.Raquin
2.Dalman
3.Maumasi
4.Prendergast
5/6 Were Nguyen/Haburn, or Haburn/Nguyen, I can't remember in which order because I was crying so hard that I didn't come 1st.

Anyway, it was just for fun, and I'm sure on a different day the order would be different.

Spot on - Dan you ranked higher on pure cutting performance both from most of the users as well as from Taro if that is any consolation =)

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay! Posted everything up on the Fora but the site is down for some reason. Would love to upload and share pics that I have, but I can't seem to upload them via my phone.

The Chefs knife cutting comp results were as follows:
1. Bryan Raquine
2. Robin Dalman
3. Mareko Maumasi
4. Dan Prendergast
5. Ian Rogers
6. Don Nguyen

It was great getting to use all the knives. The judges offered a disclaimer that, ultimately all of the knives are really f-ing great performers. The differences were, as mentioned by Lucretia, very slight. The judges approached the comp from the perspective of working in the production environment of a professional kitchen. Weight was the first consideration, followed by edge geometry/steerage, and cutting edge profile.

If I had to choose a knife from the pack, and I can't choose my own because that's against the rules, then I would have easily gone with Don's knife as well! Coming from a production background in regards of kitchen experience, Don's knife is a fricken slayer! All the knives were awesome though and it was a really great time! I look forward to doing it again next year!

Thank you to all the makers for contributing your time and resources.

If I figure out how to post here via mobile, I will ASAP. Otherwise you can see pics via Instagram of Facebook.

Cheers,
Mareko

And I would say (aside from my own), I would choose Mareko's. Sleek, elegant, well-balanced, and all-around great performer. It was funny because both Mareko and I were talking about how each of us had brought our best grinds to date and hoped everyone else brought their A-game :)

Husband & I disagreed over which we preferred. Which is why we have his knife drawer and my knife drawers at our house. :D

Just tried posting pics again, but I don't think I'm allowed to. Sorry all😩

Spot on - Dan you ranked higher on pure cutting performance both from most of the users as well as from Taro if that is any consolation =)

That makes the tears sting a little less, thank you, you are kind. (sniff)

Thank you to Derek and Taro for attending and judging the PNG. I know Mareko and I greatly appreciate it. Another thanks to the all of the awesome bladesmiths who participated and of course the winner, Bryan Raquin.

Calm before the storm:
R3gMlskh.jpg

These didn't last the length of the afternoon:
sEvTOTjh.jpg

The unimpressed house cat, Blue Mama?
jZnO7gvh.jpg

I sadly missed a hell of an event. Hope you all had fun!

Thank you to Derek and Taro for attending and judging the PNG. I know Mareko and I greatly appreciate it. Another thanks to the all of the awesome bladesmiths who participated and of course the winner, Bryan Raquin.

Calm before the storm:
R3gMlskh.jpg

These didn't last the length of the afternoon:
sEvTOTjh.jpg

The unimpressed house cat, Blue Mama?
jZnO7gvh.jpg

That kitty is Baby Blue, the was also a Mamma Blue, Blue Belle, and Blue Boy. There's definitely been some kitty in-breeding.

I so wish I had known this was going on I really would love the opportunity to watch a knife being made and i live so close to where this happened.

Man this looked like a BLAST! I would love to see more pictures if anyone has em! :)

Stay sharp
Randy

PS. Love the random KITTY photos!

Man this looked like a BLAST! I would love to see more pictures if anyone has em! :)

Stay sharp
Randy

PS. Love the random KITTY photos!

I'll have to refer you to Ian my friend. His Megabot was snapping pics all over the place.

I know that Brian's, Marekos, Robins and Dan's knives have all been sold (auctioned off). Any news on the remaining two? Will they also be sold/auctioned off?

I know that Brian's, Marekos, Robins and Dan's knives have all been sold (auctioned off). Any news on the remaining two? Will they also be sold/auctioned off?

Mine sold a few days after the PNG.

Back