Pass-Around Knife 240mm or 260mm?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say 240 because it is the size most people have a strong frame of reference too. Don't want to risk the whole "It may just be the length, I have only used one knife in this range, but it felt a bit ...." thing. Nothing magical about a 240, I just think most people have a good reference point in that size.

If anyone has not handled one of Marko's, and wants to buy one, but is on the fence, get in on this. His knives are top notch.

If anyone has not handled one of Marko's, and wants to buy one, but is on the fence, get in on this. His knives are top notch.
That's the boat I'm in........

...I'm a pro on the heavy large prep(260) side, but I totally agree with the 240 side for a majority of users, especially as a line knife. Marko is a perfectionist, and I would love the chance to try out one of his babies!

hehe, I'm not on the fence with Marko's knives, I know they look amazing. I have no idea how they feel though, so that's something I would like to try.

The 255-260mm will weigh about 225g and will have a balance point about 1" forward from the handle. It's a relatively big knife, but it feels pretty nimble. Will come with a D handle.

Heat treatment, grind, edge thickness will be the same as my custom. Profile will be a hybrid between Shigefusa and Masamoto.

I might have to make a compromise here - 52100 will be in 260mm length and PM steel will be 240mm or 225mm. PM steel pass-around will be in the end of October-early November.

M

That sounds like a good idea.
I will gladly bump until the shorter knife in PM steel, if that's the case.
Truth be told, I think 225mm sounds like a fun one to try.

I'd love to get on either list as a home user. Marko's perfectionism inspires a lot of confidence that he's making something really special.

I prefer a longer blade. I would love to be able to try one of these, either steel, either length, perhaps either group depending on how things go.

Thanks everybody who chimed in.

260mm it is and it will be similar to the one in the picture below, but I might make the profile a little flatter, as this seems to have been the trend lately.

I am going to start a new thread on sign up. I need to think about the conditions, but will put out something soon. Thanks again, - M

View attachment 9416

All your knife look amazing and I'd like to try one.

I'm VERY excited to possibly try out the new grind. :knife:

Back