Passaround: Jiro Tsuchime White #1 270mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re my personal faves of all the Mazakis. Profile has the perfect amount of curve, not too flat and not JNS shun looking. But everyone has their own opinion

I’m referring to the carbon batch( and perhaps others that might be similar).
This Kasumi 240mm is 256 grams, my KU 240mm from the same batch probably weighed 10 grams heavier
https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/mazaki/products/mazaki-white-2-migaki-gyuto-240mm
I had a 270 from this batch and it was too thin behind the edge for my liking. His grind is evolving, but I preferred the grind from my older 240 from the 2nd generation nashiji. It felt more solid against the board. I tend to prefer that in knives, which I guess is why I never jive with wide-bevels with super thin edges.

Going back to your question, I didn't really see a big similarity. I prefer the Jiro to the new batch of Mazaki. However, I think the Mazakis perform better overall. That might not be the case after the Jiro is thinned.

Jiro 270

48885418812_625ca6ef34_k.jpg

G2 nashiji 240

49531653883_88e07fb296_k.jpg

Newest generation nashiji 270

48998064322_d51626ec14_k.jpg

Last edited:
Posted another video..
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9z-pKzH3xS/?igshid=1b8pqzsifkdsp
I thought I should mention.. the giant flat spot was sharpened to a gentle curve during the passaround, so that's no longer a problem.. Also, I did test cuts (at 400 grit, the current finish hasn't been messed ) on carrots and cabbage using straight down cuts, no lateral movement and no wedging.

A brief update. Knife is back from @Forty Ounce . Andrew did a great job with the blade. During the PA, I had one member express interest in purchasing the knife so I'm currently waiting on his decision. If he decides to pass, I will offer it to the rest of the group for $650. The price has increased because I've put over $200 in thinning and sharpening (before and after the PA) services so I'm trying to recoup a bit of that. Whenever I have an update I'll make sure to post it to the thread. Thanks again to everyone that participated!

Back