Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know that it matters much within the states. USPS Priority will take three days to cross the street or to cross the country. (Though less handling means less opportunity for USPS to eff things up.)

Is there room for one more in EU?

I'm sorry I already extended it with seven people, adding even more doesn't feel fair to the us guys signing up expecting it to be a 15 spot passaround.

Would be great. Matts is in salt lake city acc to his profile.

OK, sorry about that...so makes sense if it's going to go to Mike first to finish with the northeast and make the rounds from there...I get something like this:

Mike (mrmnmns) (NY)
Brainsausage (ME)
Strumke (DC)
Chinacats (NC)
DaveB (FL)
Cheflarge (MI)
Deltaplex (IL)
Chuckles (MN)
Solidsnake (NE)
MattS (UT)
ElPecsador (soCA)
MC2442 (soCA)
Mikedtran (noCA)

Likely won't make a big difference in time as DB said, but a few days here and there and a whole lot fewer postal employee hands to deal with along the way.

Wow, big thanks Chinacats! I also believe in trying to keep it somewhat "geographically sound"... The few times I've had bid delays with us postal packages, it's been while traveling cross country.

EU
1 Matus, germany
2 Aphex, UK
OZ
4 Scotchef38
5 Kippington
6 Malexthekid
7 Ecchef (location?)
Canada
8 Godslayer
3 (;p) Tjangula
9 Jessf
US
Mike (mrmnmns) (NY)
Brainsausage (ME)
Strumke (DC)
Chinacats (NC)
DaveB (FL)
Cheflarge (MI)
Deltaplex (IL)
Chuckles (MN)
Solidsnake (NE)
MattS (UT)
ElPecsador (soCA)
MC2442 (soCA)
Mikedtran (noCA)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have one of Robin's knife and I know that you guys are in for a treat.

I hate living in israel i dont even want to ask to join the passaround because it will take the knife around 4 weeks to arrive from anywhere. Have fun guys this is a really nice passaround!

Fwiw, ecchef is on assignment with US military. Prob best reached thru USPS. Or send it to his retirement home - Tahiti I think....

Fwiw, ecchef is on assignment with US military. Prob best reached thru USPS. Or send it to his retirement home - Tahiti I think....

Thanks Dave, we'll see then when it gets close to his turn

I can try to coordinate with you when it's my turn as long as we can keep it for the appropriate 1 week time frame combined.

Unfortunately I saw this way too late but still: if there is any chance to try one of Robin's knives, either as part of this passaround (which I understand is Glosse for additional EU participants) or on a separate occasion, I'd be happy to receive a knife in Austria/Europe!

Exotic Portland, Dave. If I can ever get paroled from here.

USPS is really the only way if it's coming from the US. It is, however, considered domestic mail so the rates are reasonable. So It would probably make sense for me to be the last of the US participants and then send it off to Oz, or the last of the Asia Pacific guys and send it to the US. Maybe.
Otherwise, EMS is very reliable. But that would have to go to my local address in Japan.

Sorry guys the list is going to have to be set like this. Already extended it to 22, it's going to be a long one even with only one week each.

I guess it is time for me to chime in. I have the knife since a few days. I will post a more detailed feedback over the weekend, but the I have to say that Robin is onto something here. And I have to take some nice photos, of course :)

Apparently Aphex is not able to take part (he contacted me via PM), than the next in line is Scotchef38 (I will send you a PM)

No problem Robin :) Connection with Scotchef38 was established, the knife will be shipped to OZ end of next week.

I can not wait for that hokkaido pumpkin workout I have planned for this weekend :)

Since I am trying to get a custom, I am dying to hear feedback from those that have had a chance to play with this knife. I have not had the opportunity to use one yet....

Since I am trying to get a custom, I am dying to hear feedback from those that have had a chance to play with this knife. I have not had the opportunity to use one yet....

Yes please! Pics, thoughts, etc...

So, I think it is about the time for some feedback, even though the Hokkaido pumpkin test is yet to take place :)

First think that I realised when I took the knife out of the box was 'wow, it is light'. The combination of thin & hollowed grind with a lightweight handle makes you think you have a smaller knife in hand. In fact - the weight is comparable to my 180 mm Kochi :)

Even though the knife is so light, Robin managed to keep it from becoming butt-heavy mainly thanks to using curly birch for the handle wich apart from looking great is also a rather lightweight wood. The center of mass is at around the etched logo and so the knife feels neutrally balanced with a pinch grip.

Few more words on the handle - I really like it. For my tast & hands this one feels a little too large give how lightweight the knife is, though it is not oversized on an absolute scale. Tge F&F is great and you just have to hold it in your hand to appreciate the feel of the birch wood - very velvety. I also appreciate that Robin is using materials that come from his region - it adds additional character to the knife.

[

The blade has a very nice hand rubbed finish.

The knife is very pointy, with relatively flat profile. I was very curios how I will like it as I tend more towards blades with a little more curve to them - and it worked fine :) The advantage of the flatter profile is that it is easier to work with the tip without having to point the knife downwards too much.

The blade is exceptionally thin - the thickest piont before the hollow part starts is just under 1.0 mm - that is VERY thin and comparable to my Kochi at that distance from the cutting edge (around 9 mm).

Next to Kato 240 WOrkhorse. I suppose I do not need to tell you which knife is which :)

The blade being so thin as it is, with the hollo grind, strong distal taper and pinty tip, the knife tends to flex more than a mid-weight knife would, but I do not find it excessive, but one would nottice it at times when working with the tip. My personal preference are more on the stiff side, but I do not see what that would not be doable - since the spine could be left thicker a little withut affecting the overall performance of the knife.

I have used the knife with variety of vegetables (though some more use is planned). It came with a very nice edge with a good ballance of bite and refinement, so I did not sharpen it. Since the knife is so thin, you are not going to experince wedging here. The thin tip goes through onions nearly without reistence. Food release is better than other knives in this weight/thickness category I have used.

Preliminary conclusion

Well made, exceptionally thin knife with unique design and neutral balance. Well worth serious consideration if you are in a market for a 'laser' :)

Thank you Robin for letting us try your work :)

Im curious to see it go against my takamura r2, my current favorite laser.

Thanks for the thourough feedback Matus! Glad you like it :)

Appreciate the review Matus, thanks! For the Canadian folks I'll be stopping by the CBSA this week to do some paperwork for an import and will inquire about the logistics of a passaround and the duty/tax implications

Back