Passarounds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marko, I think you should tackle Carter's gyuto next. I'd love to see your take on one of those beauties! (even Salty likes them)

NOOOOO!!! He needs to send the carter back home so I can copy it to make a knife.

NOOOOO!!! He needs to send the carter back home so I can copy it to make a knife.

Actually, Carter is in the mail, Mario should receive it today. Just tracked, it is out for delivery as I type this.

No plans for copying Carter. His grind - shallow convex combined with a thin geometry is not that different from mine (mine is a little thicker), but I like profile I am using better.

I do have to give Mario (RRLover) a huge thumb-up on sharpening. His are some of the most uniform (and thinnest) bevels I have seen and his Carter was the sharpest knife I have even handled. Need to fly to IL to take one-on-one class with the man. Very, very impressive. :word:

M

I'd love to be in a passaround as well. Really like the Masamoto-like profile I've seen on some of your early knives!

Actually, Carter is in the mail, Mario should receive it today. Just tracked, it is out for delivery as I type this.

No plans for copying Carter. His grind - shallow convex combined with a thin geometry is not that different from mine (mine is a little thicker), but I like profile I am using better.

I do have to give Mario (RRLover) a huge thumb-up on sharpening. His are some of the most uniform (and thinnest) bevels I have seen and his Carter was the sharpest knife I have even handled. Need to fly to IL to take one-on-one class with the man. Very, very impressive. :word:

M

Instead of you coming to IL I can ride out to NY for a week when it cools off and play at your shop for a bit.

The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.

This may be true if this were some of the other forums that are heavily populated with dilettantes and such. But it comes off as a bit elitist. Does a user that prefers not to push cut rank lower in the pecking order? What about someone who owns lots of high end knives but rarely/never puts blade to board? We're all here because we already know what to look for in a knife, or are serious enough to take that step into this rarefied world.
I'm pretty sure that the guy who walks into SLT and proceeds to bash a Zwillig Kramer against the counter to test its edge retention isn't going to pop up here. :2cents:

Just read the cheese knife post. I stand corrected. :(

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the guy who walks into SLT and proceeds to bash a Zwillig Kramer against the counter to test its edge retention isn't going to pop up here.

I think he already has

Its a quick end to any discussions if you bang a huge knife to a counter :)
I wish I could do that in my office, but since Im behind a computer then it just would look like I was mentally challenged :)

:) I think you need to say to whoever in the room "Don't Move!" Then pull a knife out, point it at them, and bang it against your desk (spine down please). Even if you are behind the computer, the effect will be very dramatic, and you won't damage the edge.

M

Back