PayPal Vs Credit card

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DHL in Canada has been terrible, sorry to say. Transforce took over DHL Canada late last year, and they were hemorrhaging money. Transforce now operates DHL as Loomis Express and is turning things around -- according to my BIL, a general manager at Transforce who was assigned the DHL/Loomis project, they have turned a corner and are making money here. Perhaps things will get better, but given a choice of shippers, DHL would be at the bottom of my list based on past performance (and cost). A one kilo parcel about the size of two 300 mm yanagiba boxes stacked together was €59... and took almost two weeks to get from Berlin to Canada (and another three days to get to me once here). Meanwhile, I've sent a similar parcel back to Europe via FedEx Express... it cost $90, and arrived in two days.

For me the convenience is worth the difference in fees.
Using paypal I am able to automate things so I can spend my time on things that are more productive.
I receive payment with paypal, then I ship the item purchased using paypal.
I get a discount on the shipping cost, I don't have to input the credit card or shipping info so typos and errors are eliminated.
Plus there is an ongoing log I can refer to if I need to track a package.
For me the savings in cost of labor (my time) greatly exceed the difference in fees.

I process about 100k a year through paypal and have never had a chargeback.
It might just be a different sort of customer. I have found knife people to be a friendly and honest bunch.

i dont know... i;ve had a few chargebacks and a few cases or fraud (all of the chargebacks were fraud)... some i was ok on and others i lost even though i had done everything correctly. Part of this is why we had been taking a break from international shippings (which i am now using DHL for... well, i will be as soon as i do a few test runs).

I have had a few fraud cases where paypal suspected an unauthorized user.
What happened with me were the payment was put on hold pending investigation.
This took place within minutes of the unauthorized payment so nothing was shipped before the funds were cleared.

i dont know... i;ve had a few chargebacks and a few cases or fraud (all of the chargebacks were fraud)... some i was ok on and others i lost even though i had done everything correctly. Part of this is why we had been taking a break from international shippings (which i am now using DHL for... well, i will be as soon as i do a few test runs).

No problem if you need me to help. Yes, you can just try sending a few of your knives my way in Seoul. I'll play with 'em and send them back. DHL test. :biggrin:

PayPal is open to buyer fraud due to their protection policies, and they will just swipe the money from your account in the event of a complaint (or put your account on hold). If you do a lot of business it may be worth looking at something backed by a bank (e.g. Worldpay which Is run by rbs) and thus covered by the laws that cover banks.

what about when the USPS delivers an express mail package significantly later than time stated to the wrong person in the wrong place, gets a signature from it (even though the signer is not the person listed on the box/label and in a different city), but wont do anything to correct the problem?

Most of the problems with international shipping is actually customs, specially if you import from US to Europe. That what can delay your shipment. That guy is from Paris and shipment is from US i will bet that what his problem.

OK, I know this thread wasn't about DHL. Maksim, may I repeat the relevant part of my post above, in case it got lost in the noise (that I created):

Maksim, if you put prices in DKR the exchange rate will fall on the customer instead of you. Most international vendors do business this way. Example, if you book a hotel room online, the hotel chain prices in the currency of the country in which the hotel is located, and gives a representative price in your currency of choice -- but the fine print advises that the final amount on your credit card will depend on your bank's exchange rate when the transaction is posted and processed.

Just to finish off my DHL rants: I don't think it has to do with French customs; I had similar problems with DHL "Express" packages from Germany to Canada. If DHL were on the ball, at least the tracking system would tell me where the package was stuck. No. All it said was something like "shipment accepted by DHL at ..." Another case, the entire time my friend was waiting for his alloy wheels for the right side of his car, the tracking said they were still in Germany, and repeated calls to DHL lead nowhere. How come I've never had "customs" issues with FedEx or the UK Royal Mail or La Poste française? And as I said, DHL charges an arm and a leg and a testicle for their non-service. Sorry, but if I'm paying $75 to send a one-kilo parcel the size of a baguette, it had better take less than a week -- never mind two weeks -- and should have full, detailed tracking. FedEx guaranteed me two-day service for just $15 more; a similar package from the UK by Royal Mail took a week (including stops at customs) and cost $12.

I know I can't convince all of you, and some of you "have never heard of problems with DHL," but the Internet has plenty to say about how poor DHL's service really is, I'm not the only one. The David Lebovitz tweet was pure coincidence -- I follow him and his blog -- and it appeared just a few days after my initial post in this thread. Thanks, but given a choice, DHL will remain at the very bottom of my list of shipping companies.

My wife has gone through the same thing - she uses DHL, and has had to negotiate.
Again, why should one have to "negotiate" with a courier company? I don't get it. I walk up to the counter at FedEx, they weigh my shipment, and show me a few prices for a few levels of service. To Europe, second day is fastest. Third day is about half the price -- but still guaranteed -- and there is another option with a flexible schedule that costs much less than second day, which can take anywhere from two days (London, Paris) to a week (small towns far from major centers). The tracking system is very detailed the entire way. When the tracking for a small gift to my aunt and uncle in Liverpool said, "Out for delivery," at 3:00 am Montreal time the second day after I sent it -- less than 36 hours in transit -- it really was "out for delivery." They received it at 9:30 am and IMed me about it. All I did was tender it to FedEx and pay $16 for the third-tier service. No negotiations necessary.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8013-New-Valuta-in-Store Answer to the first

About DHL if something similar happened to me with DHL i change in a hard beat, but it never did actually it takes from DK to NY 2 days max DK to California 4 days max
I did try many shipping companies and so fare DHL was the best for me, and from DK i can not comment from other countries :)

I also just changed to DHL to get my packages from Japan and again super fast 2 or 3 days.

For the price it is cheaper then any regular posts i ever used not for small packages but around 1 kg and up.
you have to negotiate depend how many packages you ship i think its quite regular routine with All shipping companies i had to do it with Fedex Post Denmark and EMS i think its standard

That is good information, thank you.

Also, I had not read the currency thread. Good move! I think your costs will drop quite a bit with this one small change, and it shouldn't affect sales from Euro countries, in my opinion.

Back