Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any synopsis of preferred pepper mills? I need to get an electric pepper mill for travel, and too lazy to comb through 16 pages of this thread.

Looked up the spice boy....interesting but the $30 shipping on a $60 item just seems painful.

Looks like free shipping is at $140. Would be willing to get a couple with gifting one, but 3 seems excessive. Anyone interested in a small group buy? Normal shipping should be significantly less from the host buyer.

One the spice boy:
One other person reached out and is willing to do the group buy. We need one more....planning on just spitting the total cost including the secondary shipping. And there was a discount code to save 20%, 3 are just over the shipping minimum.
Let me know,
Matt

Just in case it's of interest to anyone here, I bought the Chinese pepper mill I mentioned on page 15, thinking I might return it if it's not up to snuff. I made a video of the general mechanics, though I haven't actually tried grinding pepper with it yet.

Observations:
  • Feels incredibly solid and well-made.
  • The push-button mechanism used to open the top is very nice. No risk of the top popping off when you grab it, which could happen with the magnetic lid used on the Weber and Lynn mills.
  • Grind adjustment mechanism is tactile and satisfying to use. Works like a manual coffee grinder, so level 1 == burr lock, and you can only start grinding at maybe level 2-3 (out of 12). There are 5 clicks between every level.
  • The top spins very smoothly and without any wobble.
  • The catch cup takes some effort to pop off. I wish it was attached magnetically, but I guess I can't complain too much since most mills don't even have a catch cup to begin with.
Overall, I think this might be a winner. Will have to see how it actually grinds peppercorns, but I doubt there will be any issues in this area.

20231013_184636.jpg

Finally got around to opening the Telicherry. Wow! Talk about flavor!
I've tried both Tellicherry and Kampot. Both are nice, with subtly different flavour. I'm not sure I could tell what I'm eating in a blind test where I get only one of the two though. I'm happy with either. Usually, it's Kampot for me. I buy 300 g at a time, which lasts for a while.

I've tried both Tellicherry and Kampot. Both are nice, with subtly different flavour. I'm not sure I could tell what I'm eating in a blind test where I get only one of the two though. I'm happy with either. Usually, it's Kampot for me. I buy 300 g at a time, which lasts for a while.
This Telicherry has quite a bit more flavor and aroma than the Kampot red peppercorns I opened and tried first. Perhaps Kampot black is a bit bolder?

For all pepper(mill) lovers, I can only recommend this model designed by Peugeot with Olivier Roellinger. It's not cheap, but I like the winch mechanism, combined with a ratchet wheel to adjust the grind size of the peppercorns. Moreover, it allows you to dispense precise amounts of peppercorns and vary your choices regarding the dish:
https://www.epices-roellinger.com/en/products/moulin-rouge-piment-des-poivres-du-mondeAnd if you're looking for deliciously flavorful and extremely aromatic peppercorns: Pepper - Épices Rœllinger

After lurking on this thread for a long time, I finally plunked some serious money for the Craig Lyn SPM and MannKitchen Pepper Cannon. Verdict: I'm much more of a fan of the Pepper Cannon! It's so much easier to grind and adjust than the SPM. I use white pepper in the Cannon and black in the SPM. The SPM is a robust beast and looks beautiful on the counter, but I find myself reaching for the Pepper Cannon more often for an easier job.

I can see the SPM working much better if you have stronger/larger hands as the Pepper Cannon runs a tad on the small side. HTH!

This seems like the best place to post this. I am looking for a tellicherry black pepper that has a strong hint of lemon or citrus. Many years ago I made tuna fish sandwiches and used a common supermarket brand tellicherry black pepper. It wasn’t labeled “lemon pepper” it just had that flavor. The supermarket brand I used, no longer has that flavor. I have tried “lemon pepper” and it tastes fake and has ingredients in it. I’m just looking for the pepper with that flavor. I have recently seen a suggestion here for bucay pepper, but they don’t ship to the USA currently. Any suggestions?

After lurking on this thread for a long time, I finally plunked some serious money for the Craig Lyn SPM and MannKitchen Pepper Cannon. Verdict: I'm much more of a fan of the Pepper Cannon! It's so much easier to grind and adjust than the SPM. I use white pepper in the Cannon and black in the SPM. The SPM is a robust beast and looks beautiful on the counter, but I find myself reaching for the Pepper Cannon more often for an easier job.

I can see the SPM working much better if you have stronger/larger hands as the Pepper Cannon runs a tad on the small side. HTH!
Senior citizen large hands grippers work good for Craig Lyn pepper grinders & jar lids.
20240130_061004.jpg

Any new fav peppercorns recommendations in the USA? I tried these recently https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JP5KN31 and they are nice, have a bit of spice, but i don't find them very flavorful.
The whole black peppercorns used by The French Laundry chef Thomas Keller is Sarawak from La Sanctuaire. This is the best I have found so far out of about 6 different peppers. Keller is one of the most respected chefs in the world.

Eh, the La Santuaire is overrated IMO. I know Reluctant Trading is overrated but their Mr. Siew's Smoked Black Peppercorn is AMAZING. Penzey's Tellicherryy Whole Black peppercorn is sufficient for the price range. For White Pepper, both Le Sanctuaire and Penzeys have flavorful and pungent Sarawak cream peppercorns.

IMHO you need a few black peppers, each has its own flavor profile. One adds warth, the next has more zing, another more bite an some add spicey flavors. Telicherry is a good start, for an all round black pepper but there is so much more to discover.

Just to give an idea, this webshop lists 2 pages of real peppers (black and white, which is a hulled black pepper)

https://www.depeperwinkel.nl/collections/echte-peper?page=2

Back