Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still on my ol' trusty Unicorn Magnum pepper mill. Has been serving me reliably over the years and is still cranking it, literally

not sure if the long Kampot will fit in the burrs...never tried that, I always use mortar and pestle on those.

please do report if it works!

(I just ordered another batch of peppers to keep the weber well fed)

Last edited:
not sure if the long Kampot will fit in the burrs...never tried that, I always use mortar and pestle on those.

please do report if it works!

(I just ordered another batch of peppers to keep the weber well fed)
Marcel,
Will post my findings. I don’t have a mortar and pestle, so that may be next on the list.

Did you get the Weber? I thought you got the Craig Lyn?

Marcel,
Will post my findings. I don’t have a mortar and pestle, so that may be next on the list.

Did you get the Weber? I thought you got the Craig Lyn?
I tried getting the Craig Lyn, but shipping using UPSP proved impossible (it got lost and UPSP was the only option) so I shelled out for the Weber.

feed

Attachments

• IMG-20240325-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20240325-WA0011.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Heads up for anyone who’s been looking at the pepper cannon, 20% off with MKDAY2024

No idea when it ends, but it combo’d with free shipping was enough to get me to bite the bullet. Had planned on the Lynn grinder, since it seems fuctionally identical to the Weber moulin due to shared heritage. It should output way more pepper than the pepper cannon, but at 2-3x the price spending on whether you go for the Lynn or the Weber I think I can handle cranking a few more times when needed.

Heads up for anyone who’s been looking at the pepper cannon, 20% off with MKDAY2024

No idea when it ends, but it combo’d with free shipping was enough to get me to bite the bullet. Had planned on the Lynn grinder, since it seems fuctionally identical to the Weber moulin due to shared heritage. It should output way more pepper than the pepper cannon, but at 2-3x the price spending on whether you go for the Lynn or the Weber I think I can handle cranking a few more times when needed.
I'm sure it;s a great grinder too, for me it was availability and shipping that killed the deal...
AFAIK the weber is identical to the Lyn, anyways, it's a great tool, the haptic feedback is that of a mercedes S class. (and the price is similar)

I'm sure it;s a great grinder too, for me it was availability and shipping that killed the deal...
AFAIK the weber is identical to the Lyn, anyways, it's a great tool, the haptic feedback is that of a mercedes S class. (and the price is similar)
Well, no complaints so far on shipping within the US--it shipped before I got up this morning. I should have it by the end of this week.

Ehuru (gourd nutmeg), also called Nigerian nutmeg. It's similar to ordinary nutmeg, but different. More woody/peppery notes.
and citrusy...I came across it and it landed in my shopping basket, likewise we now have 4 types of kardamom...

Burrsets usually only accept a certain dimension, long pepper is huge, many pepper mills struggle with extra large Tellicherry pepper, the Red Assam pepper corns I have do not fit anywhere either.
In the end it's a matter of how much of it you use, with larger quantities something like a whirly blade coffee whacker ( I do no dare calling that a grinder) might work.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/pepper-mill-suggestions.4301/post-1043285

Just in case it's of interest to anyone here, I bought the Chinese pepper mill I mentioned on page 15, thinking I might return it if it's not up to snuff. I made a video of the general mechanics, though I haven't actually tried grinding pepper with it yet.

Observations:
  • Feels incredibly solid and well-made.
  • The push-button mechanism used to open the top is very nice. No risk of the top popping off when you grab it, which could happen with the magnetic lid used on the Weber and Lynn mills.
  • Grind adjustment mechanism is tactile and satisfying to use. Works like a manual coffee grinder, so level 1 == burr lock, and you can only start grinding at maybe level 2-3 (out of 12). There are 5 clicks between every level.
  • The top spins very smoothly and without any wobble.
  • The catch cup takes some effort to pop off. I wish it was attached magnetically, but I guess I can't complain too much since most mills don't even have a catch cup to begin with.
Overall, I think this might be a winner. Will have to see how it actually grinds peppercorns, but I doubt there will be any issues in this area.

i regret not getting one to try when they were cheap. how much did they used to be on amazon with coupon, like 50 bucks?

also, how do you like it?

Burrsets usually only accept a certain dimension, long pepper is huge, many pepper mills struggle with extra large Tellicherry pepper, the Red Assam pepper corns I have do not fit anywhere either.
In the end it's a matter of how much of it you use, with larger quantities something like a whirly blade coffee whacker ( I do no dare calling that a grinder) might work.
Good idea. I have one of those!

The cannons have arrived. First impression, the pepper cannon is pretty beautifully designed. Feels very well finished, unloaded the burr spins for 20-30 seconds like a fidget spinner thanks to the bearings. Top is both satisfying and simple to remove for refilling.

Negatives so far, catchcup uses a gasket for retention, not magnets. Retention is firm and solid, but having to replace gaskets over time would be annoying and magnetic retention is much more premium feeling. Also, grind adjustment is traditional, under the inner burr. I find this annoying and old fashioned. I’ve been spoiled by 1zpresso coffee grinders that have basically the same form factor but those two features which make them very nice to use.

With that being said, I don’t think the moulin has a catchcup and you can choose to omit it.

The few reviews I’ve seen putting them head to head, the cannon apparently has slightly better consistency (ironic given webers coffee heritage), but the moulin has drastically higher output.

I suspect the external adjustment may cause some of the consistency differences. I asked helor if they would be adding an external adjustment to their 106 grinder, but they said they investigated it but found an external adjustment mechanism reduced consistency in part fitment which is why they opted to not go that route. I’m long since lost to the dark side of paper engineering, but in theory I could see how keeping your alignment system on the same axis, literally and figuratively would help keep tolerances tighter than tying adjustment to an inch away from the axis of rotation.

Really just splitting hairs though. Magnum, canon, moulin, Lynn, any of these are magnitudes above what most of us probably grew up with aka the mystery wooden pepper grinder that generates fits and spurts of chunks and dust by the whims of some well seasoned, eldritch god.

I think I’d try the 1zpresso k ultra as my next pepper grinder next time to be honest. It’s got enough adjustment to do what you want, while having a broad enough range for just about anything outside of maybe cracked pepper. Hand crank for easy use. Foldable hand crank for easy storage. Magnetic catch cup for bulk grinding. External adjustment for easy adjustment. And it’s about the same price as any of these premium grinders.

Update on the CL. It STILL hasn’t shipped?! I’d been lured into optimism when I got the shipping notification shortly after I ordered. Even more concerning is the lack of a response to my email last week.

Last edited:
The cannons have arrived. First impression, the pepper cannon is pretty beautifully designed. Feels very well finished, unloaded the burr spins for 20-30 seconds like a fidget spinner thanks to the bearings. Top is both satisfying and simple to remove for refilling.

Negatives so far, catchcup uses a gasket for retention, not magnets. Retention is firm and solid, but having to replace gaskets over time would be annoying and magnetic retention is much more premium feeling. Also, grind adjustment is traditional, under the inner burr. I find this annoying and old fashioned. I’ve been spoiled by 1zpresso coffee grinders that have basically the same form factor but those two features which make them very nice to use.

With that being said, I don’t think the moulin has a catchcup and you can choose to omit it.

The few reviews I’ve seen putting them head to head, the cannon apparently has slightly better consistency (ironic given webers coffee heritage), but the moulin has drastically higher output.

I suspect the external adjustment may cause some of the consistency differences. I asked helor if they would be adding an external adjustment to their 106 grinder, but they said they investigated it but found an external adjustment mechanism reduced consistency in part fitment which is why they opted to not go that route. I’m long since lost to the dark side of paper engineering, but in theory I could see how keeping your alignment system on the same axis, literally and figuratively would help keep tolerances tighter than tying adjustment to an inch away from the axis of rotation.

Really just splitting hairs though. Magnum, canon, moulin, Lynn, any of these are magnitudes above what most of us probably grew up with aka the mystery wooden pepper grinder that generates fits and spurts of chunks and dust by the whims of some well seasoned, eldritch god.

I think I’d try the 1zpresso k ultra as my next pepper grinder next time to be honest. It’s got enough adjustment to do what you want, while having a broad enough range for just about anything outside of maybe cracked pepper. Hand crank for easy use. Foldable hand crank for easy storage. Magnetic catch cup for bulk grinding. External adjustment for easy adjustment. And it’s about the same price as any of these premium grinders.
ty for the review!

re 1zpresso, would using coffee grinder for pepper present any long term issues with burr, etc?

I can’t speak authoritatively to damage long term, but I use a Hario Skerton to grind large amounts of black pepper when called for and apart from a delightful smell, it seems entirely unfazed.

I would say no. Coffee beans unless you’re going super dark roast tend to be harder than a pepper like tellicherry. Beyond that, a lot of the mechanism can be basically the same between the two with the coffee grinder probably being more consistent but also slower, coffee grinders may have slightly different burr geometry to allow larger coffee beans to feed in, but both burr sets would ultimately be made or hardened carbon steel so I wouldn’t expect any issues.

Make sure you never intend on using it for coffee again though, it’s apparently a massive pain cleaning it out if you want to switch between the two.

coffee with some pepper may be quite nice ;-)

Many folks use minute rice (NOT the non parboiled stuff!!) to season their coffee grinders burr sets, pepper is a lot softer that that and softer than lightly roasted coffee

ceramic burrsets...I don't have any recommendation other than that, I tend to use salt in the shape it comes in and adapt use to that shape. Freshly ground salt IMHO is the same as preground or smaller size, no added benefit.

Guess what... the cheap 5 euro Ikea 365+ Ihärdig mill actually has ceramic burrs!
I've been using the pepper mill for like 15 years or so? Only thing it doesn't handle well is moist grey salt; using that you'll end up replacing it after a few years because it completely clogs up.

The only reason I bother to grind salt is because I've been struggling to find unrefined salts in a fine / pre-ground form. Unless you pay 10x as much for it... and then it's often still on the coarser side.

Back