Pet peeves

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a kitchen related pet peeves, but when people make the assumption because I flip burgers for a living, I am poor, unskilled and uneducated.
Heck Yah!!! I've been flipping burgers literally for twenty five years! I bust my butt and smell like hell everyday. My kids go to great schools, I drive a nice car, we live in a custom home, and I have a padded 401 k. Pretty good for a high school f*** up!

^same issue here with timers.

Complaining about your pay
Complaining about your hours
Complaining when its busy.
Complaining about having to do a lot of prep

It's the f'n job!

Complaining about your pay
Complaining about your hours
Complaining when its busy.
Complaining about having to do a lot of prep

It's the f'n job!

Absolutely. And of course none of us here complain! :razz:

Oh I complain, but not on and on about how little I make, lol. This is mainly just one guy at work who is always complaining about every part of the job, bit LOVES telling people he's a cook at our restaurant (we have a good reputation on town) like its a fashion statement. Yeah, that's me complaining, lol

Oh I complain, but not on and on about how little I make, lol. This is mainly just one guy at work who is always complaining about every part of the job, bit LOVES telling people he's a cook at our restaurant (we have a good reputation on town) like its a fashion statement. Yeah, that's me complaining, lol

I'd hit him with a pan if I were you.

Anyway, I hear you!

Haha too many to list:

Not taking the label off stuff before sending it through the dishwasher
STEALING MY RAGS
Fry cooks who think they are the sh*t because they now work on the line but cant handle more than two tickets without needing help. (Not all, some)
Not shocking in ice water, running the faucet over it doesn't count
Medium rare that is actually medium
Sucking up to managers but sh*tting on the team. It should be we not me.
Know-it-all's who actually know very little but feel the need to express their "superior" knowledge of all things cuisine. "Where have you worked?" "Applebees and a family diner"
"Ummmm this old woman wants it with no garlic, no salt, no butter, and wants to know if we can do a half order?"

"Ummmm this old woman wants it with no garlic, no salt, no butter, and wants to know if we can do a half order?"

That's a good one. There's 2 people who regularly come to where I work and order an 8oz steak between them with each half cooked different ways if you get me, then order 1 side between the 2 of them

Haha too many to list:

Not taking the label off stuff before sending it through the dishwasher

Hehehe, time to invest in some dissolvable labels. I have not had to scratch off a label in years.

As a lover of everything tomato & garlic,persons who will not eat either
+1 stealing rags
+2 shocking wt. ice water
Trying to keep my attitude out of the amazing special requests,:laughat:ahhh nuts how can they eat la dat!

Just got a great one from a cook. When asked why an order looked terrible. "It was really busy."
First of all. It is busy most of the time. Wait, you can only make good food if it is slow? GET THE **** OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW!!!
I am hiring BTW.

Server who missed pre-service meet: "Customer wants to know what confit on the pork belly app means?"
Saute: "Classically refers to a piece of meat that's slowly poached in its own fat til its meltingly tender"
Server goes back to table and returns to kitchen: "He wants to know to you can cook his rice that way"

wow. When I worked at a chain if the server missed preshift they went home. for that reason.

A very big pet peeve of mine is a server asking what the soup of the day is. Then another one not 10 min. later asking same thing. Then the hostess next. Few min. later the floor manager. And they don't want to have any kind of preshift.

Laziness! holy **** its like these kids now are allergic to work.
touching my stuff without asking
changing the music so much you cant even hear a whole song
and apathy, i cant do that because...if all you ever do is say i cant then *** can you do. TRY!

I don't mind people using my knives, but I hate people taking my spoon(s).

Hard to stop people borrowing my knives,I have lost a couple small whips,& a nice Italian small pepper mill.GONE!

Also my 2Qt. Measuring pitcher I have to hide that thing so It will be there when I need it.

Rags is a big one for me. And people who just open fridges and ovens into your knee without saying anything all the time.

This is a big one for me: know your frickin weights and measures!

My head just spins when someone asks me how many cups are in a quart or what's 3 times 1 1/2 tablespoons. I wish we were on the metric system.

-AJ

This is a big one for me: know your frickin weights and measures! My head just spins when someone asks me how many cups are in a quart or what's 3 times 1 1/2 tablespoons. I wish we were on the metric system.
New one for me: recipes using the imperial system. I'd definitely have to bother you with this. If it's not metric, I forget and have to go convert on the internet.

I like to know why the rest of the world uses metric & we do not?Don't even the English use metric now?

and the UK is a hodge podge of mixtures. They use MPH but Km to measure distance and all kinds of whacky things.

lol back in the 70's Jimmy Carter tried to get us to switch over. Well you see how that worked. Sometimes thinking we are leading, we really are just being stubborn.

I think technically (according to the EU) the UK uses metric, but for the most part, nobody does. Still use mph and miles on distance signs for example. Go into a butchers and ask for grams of something and they'll laugh at you

I don't really mind if co workers use my knives without asking (well hopefully they do anyway, but if not it isn't the end of the world for me). But i do HATE when someone uses it and doesn't clean it. I can't count how many times I've come back to my board and my carbon petty is rusting in front of me with random octopus marinade or some **** on it.

Also, stealing my cake testers...at least one of my four disappears every service (yeah, I keep 4 on station, less moving aand thinking involved).

People who prep enough mies en plas for an army, when there's twenty on the books on a Monday night...

Chill out and clean something!

Cooks that wipe stuff onto the floor;

Kick food on the floor under the line;

And when they actually sweep, they sweep the pile into a corner, and leave it;

And I'd they use a dust pan, they don't empty it!!!!!

People who put broken glass into my garbage...

Sweep up spills with a broom and dust pan, and don't rinse them...

Leaving utensils in food overnight...

Using your grill tongs to saute with...

Cleaning with water because your too lazy to fill a sanibucket...

Stuff left floating in the fryers...

my main pet peeve , and now that I'm not working for someone ever again to make me do this ****

butchering ,

and pre packaged foods

if you lack the skills to butcher primals or pismo's or whatever the **** it is you need to butcher , fish , whatever

ADMIT IT , DONT BUY PREPORTIONED **** , and say its a TIME SAVER

having been at a place that bought pre-portioned tenders @ $17.00lb I cant believe how retarded an idea that is
it takes me if I'm having a bad day no more than 2minutes to remove the chain & silverskin & then portion @ weight within half an ounce a tenderloin

it would take me more than 2 minutes most likely to get the things out of the packages , not to mention you pay more , and dont get any chain meat , which you can turn into 1001 other uses

thats my rant , **** like cleanliness & organization I just dont deal w/ anymore with other employees , if your at a high caliber restaurant you should expect high caliber employee's

and for the "flipping burger guys" id take someone who can cook a burger to temperature any day of the week before someone who "Studied under the BEST CHEFS IN THE WORLD Culinary School" with an ego the size of the moon

I'm going to go drink more whiskey and yell at the TV

Back