Pics: Kitchen Gear! Cookware, Dining Ware, Utensils, and more

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if I had to pick one kitchen thing in my arsenal that I HATE: it would easily be my sugar container. hahah... I bought a diner-style pour vessel, and it is completely useless. my sugar clumps, and it renders the jar unpourable.

here is the thing. sugar is 100% a cooking ingredient for me. I don't pour it over cereal or coffee or anything like that. not even summer fruits. I use it for Thai, Japanese, Chinese stuff. where sugar is common. I just need a regular jar, I think.

I just washed the jar last night. I is about to go into the donation pile, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
if I had to pick one kitchen thing in my arsenal that I HATE: it would easily be my sugar container. hahah... I bought a diner-style pour vessel, and it is completely useless. my sugar clumps, and it renders the jar unpourable.

here is the thing. sugar is 100% a cooking ingredient for me. I don't pour it over cereal or coffee or anything like that. not even summer fruits. I use it for Thai, Japanese, Chinese stuff. where sugar is common. I just need a regular jar, I think.

I just washed the jar last night. I is about to go into the donation pile, I think.

When our kids moved out, our sugar jar like that went out too. :)

Curious that the jar would matter. Are you shaking it over hot steamy pans? Or is it just that it’s not airtight?

I think I use sugar so infrequently it just clumps up. the hole is tiny as well. that jar belongs in a diner where it gets emptied by coffee drinkers daily, I think.

Curious that the jar would matter. Are you shaking it over hot steamy pans? Or is it just that it’s not airtight?

Although the little pour hole has a cover it is far from tight and moisture does get in pretty easily. Like @boomchakabowwow said you don't tend to empty it that fast so it does allow more moisture to build up and clumping to occur. Especially if you keep it near the stove where humidity is higher.

But even beyond that, it's just not as convenient as a larger opening where you can get a pinch or a pour and easily put back what you don't want.

I'm honestly surprised that encapsulated rims aren't more common as well, except that I suspect it's difficult to do in such a way that you don't end up with an accidental pressure vessel in the case of a small void in the rim.
Oddly enough, there's many expensive and high end pans that don't have it but there's some cheaper pans that do. Ikea eventually started doing it on their Sensuel series, and I've seen it on at least some cheaper clad pans in my usual restaurant supply stores. Demeyere also has it on their cheaper not-made-in-Belgium ecoline frying pans.
While it is an extra step it doesn't seem like it's a costprohibitive one.

I think I use sugar so infrequently it just clumps up. the hole is tiny as well. that jar belongs in a diner where it gets emptied by coffee drinkers daily, I think.
why not simply buy Liquid Palm sugar? It's what I use most of, have to go search for crystalline sugar IF we still have it..

Oddly enough, there's many expensive and high end pans that don't have it but there's some cheaper pans that do. Ikea eventually started doing it on their Sensuel series, and I've seen it on at least some cheaper clad pans in my usual restaurant supply stores. Demeyere also has it on their cheaper not-made-in-Belgium ecoline frying pans.
It is puzzling, I agree. It seems like exactly the sort of thing that would be table stakes for high end cookware.

In my recent rabbit hole dive into higher end cookware to replace my eroding and sharp edged All^H^H^HMostly-Clad, it's not a feature that is called out on many brands, or even in many reviews. People are very concerned with aesthetics, and seem to be inclined to baby their stainless cookware to preserve that factory finish. I 100% get the aesthetic concern, but the entire reason I get stainless is to use it and throw it in the dishwasher.

The Demeyere Atlantis looks great for sauciers, and a heavy skillet, but I'm not quite sure if I like it for stock pots or saute pans. I discovered Hestan cookware, made by Meyer, and it's looking promising. They call out the fully encapsulated rim in a thinly veiled stab at Mostly-Clad ("It’s truly dishwasher safe without sharp edges ever.") and the overall F&F looks good.

my first set of Fissler Pro Line suffered from eaten away bottom outsides, they have now improved this by cladding the aluminum disc completely.

I have to admit I hardly put pans in the dishwasher anymore.

Using my anova steam oven to cook rice pilaf. Sauted a little shallot on the stovetop, added first vermicelli then rice then stock. Transfer to the oven, set it to 213f and 100 pc humidity, it’s sitting here pushing a tiny bubble every now and then. Perfect.

I know I can do this in a rice cooker but I can use a similar setting for something like steamed Cantonese fish or pork shoulder. Love this thing, amazingly versatile.
IMG_5198.jpeg

Last edited:

Try adding some uncooked rice. That’s what I’ve seen in most diners, the rice helps absorb some of the humidity that’s causing the clumping

I’m low-tech. My bought this to "wokcook", but it’s my top five multitasker. I don’t even own a ladle anymore.
IMG_1648.jpeg

Staying at a friends house in France. He has a set of Cristel pots with disk bases and removable handles. They’re pretty good, the removable handles definitely make them easier to store and they’re definitely superior quality disk bottomed pots. I’d probably choose fissler over these but if space were an issue I’d be happy to have this option

Handle is pretty sturdy once it’s attached
image.jpg
image.jpg

Staying at a friends house in France. He has a set of Cristel pots with disk bases and removable handles. They’re pretty good, the removable handles definitely make them easier to store and they’re definitely superior quality disk bottomed pots. I’d probably choose fissler over these but if space were an issue I’d be happy to have this option

Handle is pretty sturdy once it’s attached
View attachment 309502View attachment 309503
Nice set of non nonstick coated pans for the campervan. Removable handles make for a much easier life in a confined space.

I never actually weighed my 4mm paella 35... but it could certainly be used as a weapon.
I can still see myself buying a 4mm 27 or 30 if they do another run in the future. There's something special about them...

Back