Picture Party

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbon fiber....nice stuff just not my cup of tea. I really want a petty or two and I guess I'll have to talk to you about the spot for feb. I'm kind of wanting a special set or I don't know just yet....when do I have to decide?

cheers

Mike

If you make it to the PDX show I'll have a damascus petty available.

If you make it to the PDX show I'll have a damascus petty available.
Now I just have to wait for the postman. It was good to meet you in person. You definitely had the best product at the show and the petty will see lots of use. I see more knives in my future.

cheers

Mike

Now I just have to wait for the postman. It was good to meet you in person. You definitely had the best product at the show and the petty will see lots of use. I see more knives in my future.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate you guys taking time out of your vacation to visit the show. The postman will be showing up soon!

Picked up the knife today and it's as awesome as I remembered it. Thanks Ian, can't wait to use it on something other than my thumb.

Picked up the knife today and it's as awesome as I remembered it. Thanks Ian, can't wait to use it on something other than my thumb.
Great! I'm happy to hear it arrived safely.
Sounds like the knife arrived hungry and bit you right out of the box!

Great! I'm happy to hear it arrived safely.
Sounds like the knife arrived hungry and bit you right out of the box!

That would be a good description lol. I wasn't paying close enough attention and touched the choil with my left thumb. Messy but not very painful since it arrived very sharp.

270 kiritsuke for Smurf. :nunchucks:

Exhibition grade rosewood burl:

lCPU2ieh.jpg

Billet of damascus - currently sitting at 88 layers. We're not stoppin there.

lfzBu4Lh.jpg

Raw materials for the mokume-gane. Nickel silver and copper.

Ljt2cFlh.jpg

Seven layers of 88 for a total of 616 layers.

PlIbBNgh.jpg

Welded and cut in half.

2BXrRhuh.jpg

Why not bowie?

L5Df4Rdh.jpg

Annealed, trimmed, and a quick etch.

gCrqtIZh.jpg

A bit of pattern detail.

zrzOflXh.jpg

Oh man, Mike (smurf) is getting something real special there. Have you done other "feather" damascus?

270 kiritsuke for Smurf. :nunchucks:

Exhibition grade rosewood burl:

lCPU2ieh.jpg

Billet of damascus - currently sitting at 88 layers. We're not stoppin there.

lfzBu4Lh.jpg

Raw materials for the mokume-gane. Nickel silver and copper.

Ljt2cFlh.jpg

Seven layers of 88 for a total of 616 layers.

PlIbBNgh.jpg

Welded and cut in half.

2BXrRhuh.jpg

Why not bowie?

L5Df4Rdh.jpg

Annealed, trimmed, and a quick etch.

gCrqtIZh.jpg

A bit of pattern detail.

zrzOflXh.jpg

Jesus Ive only been here a year or so and in that time your work has skipped a few levels. Keep up the good work and someday soon (whenever i pay off randy) expect a message from me.

Oh man, Mike (smurf) is getting something real special there. Have you done other "feather" damascus?

No feather before. I did deliberate for a while on the pattern I wanted for Mike, so I ended up making the forge cutter specifically for this project.

Fat chunk.
I haven't seen feather mokume before - somebody has to have made it by now. Anyhow, it's a good fit for this project. Bolster and booty cap.

i2zzSFuh.jpg

I really like watching all the pieces come together - Helps make the anticipation even better.

Thanks guys - good to know to you're enjoying the slideshow.

Ura in:

UwwpTEPh.jpg

Very nice. That looks like it takes a steady hand to get it centered or do you have a jig of some sort?
Just freehand for now, maybe when I get old and shaky I'll resort to a jig.

Ok, silly question....what do you use the kiridashi for? I find all this fascinating.....I put myself through college as an instrument maker and a machinist....moving metal is in my blood. I love the craftsmanship that goes into a custom knife....

cheers

Mike

I use the kiridashis for general utility tasks - I'm sure I have 10+ scattered around the shop and house. Cool to hear that you were a machinist.

Oh my. I know I'm on the list to get on the list but I should probably be saving now... Every time you post another "all out" knife, I just think of this.
shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

That Mokume. Yes.

Cool stuff. I have to say I'm lucky enough to get paid for this. Big thank you to Mike for just letting me have at it.
The saya is in the works - two piece cocobolo with matching mokume keeper pin.

Back