Piece of meteorite someone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SylvainM

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
Hi all,

This post to show you some "special project" (to me at least) I released recently.

That was a long time I wanted to build a nice knife in which I would insert a bit of a material which I find fascinating : meteorite. And more particularly, I wanted to display Widmanstätten patterns, which I find absolutely mesmerizing. Those patterns, only showing I believe in siderite octahedrites meteorites, are the result of a very slow (in millions of years) cooling process of the meteorite nucleus. This is one of those few phenomenons we are unable to reproduce in laboratories, as we cannot simulate slow time. Aside the fact that this material comes from space, which is in itself astonishing, it also represents to me the slow countdown of time...

So here it is ! I don't give names to my knives, but we could reference this one as "Lusta". It is a 265mm gyuto, forged out of C130 steel and featuring a 250mm cutting edge. It's 53mm high at heel for 3.2mm thick, and it has a S-grind geometry to favorise food release. The blade is selectively quenched with an irregular hamon, partly due to the S-grind profile itself.
The handle and matching saya are both made out of bog oak, which I source at a dedicated provider in the UK. It is carbon dated to approximately 5000 years, which explains this nice deep black colour, which was important to me for this project specifically. As mentioned, the saya has a meteorite inlay, coming from the Muonionalusta meteorite found in Sweden in 1906. It is the oldest known meteorite to date, estimated to be 4,5 billion years old ! The way I positionned the meteorite inlay, in the middle of the black saya, is a reference to the original meteorite itself flying across outter space. This is reminder to me that we are only tiny things amongst the Universe...

Feel free to share your feelings on this babe ;)

1_IG.jpg

2_IG.jpg

3_IG.jpg

4_IG.jpg

6_IG.jpg

7_IG.jpg

8_IG.jpg

10_IG.jpg

I have a ring forged from that same meteorite that I wear everyday....the pattern has pretty much worn away from all the abuse it gets and has a fine silver liner that gives a nice contrast.......pretty sure its got some magical powers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Back