Pizza dough - Thin and traditional

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throw some topping ideas at me, please, kind people?

One of my favourites is simply slices of ripe, sweet figs and proscuitto crudo. That's it, no tomatoes, no cheese (some do, though), just delicious.

focaccia-fichi-prosciutto-crudo-3-1000x520-735x400.jpg

Check the menu here for ideas: http://www.origano-leith.co.uk/about-restaurant/ better still, go visit and report back to me! :)

I had a pizza with confit duck in France this summer. Wasn't that great, unfortunately.
Not surprised. Good pizzerias are far and few between over here (although to be honest, confit de canard is not really something to my taste on a pizza).

Well, I am currently living in Paris, so some French must leak through into my posts.

Don't call me a michelin guy, please. Chopping vegetables and peeling potatoes for a few weeks does not a michelin guy make. There's a saying in Danish michelin kitchens (or high-tier kitchens in general) called "møg-pony" which basically translates to "s***-pony". A møg-pony takes all the grueling, monotonous tasks such as picking thyme leaves or pulling feathers and does no plating or real cooking. I was a møg-pony. Cooking at home is much more fun.

The combo, or just bad pizza? I made one a few months ago that was great.

Not surprised. Good pizzerias are far and few between over here (although to be honest, confit de canard is not really something to my taste on a pizza).

It wasn't a great pizza (seemed like the best option in a rural campsite restaurant).

I think that the confit would have worked well if it had been thinly sliced, but this one was festooned with rather thick slices. The cheese was pretty strong too (maybe it had to be given the volume of duck) and just made the whole thing a little (a lot!) too heavy.

I like Damage's kale and duck idea - nice contrast. What kind of kale do you use (I don't remember seeing any kale for sale when I lived in Copenhagen a couple of years ago. At least, I don't remember bringing any home to cook).

At home in the UK I've made kale and pancetta pizza using cavalo nero kale.

It wasn't a great pizza (seemed like the best option in a rural campsite restaurant).

I think that the confit would have worked well if it had been thinly sliced, but this one was festooned with rather thick slices. The cheese was pretty strong too (maybe it had to be given the volume of duck) and just made the whole thing a little (a lot!) too heavy.

I like Damage's kale and duck idea - nice contrast. What kind of kale do you use (I don't remember seeing any kale for sale when I lived in Copenhagen a couple of years ago. At least, I don't remember bringing any home to cook).

At home in the UK I've made kale and pancetta pizza using cavalo nero kale.

I don't know what kind of kale you got there in England, but in Denmark I just use what we call grønkål, which looks like this:
VEKAL24355_3.jpg

I don't know what kind of kale you got there in England, but in Denmark I just use what we call grønkål, which looks like this:
VEKAL24355_3.jpg

And it sure is green!

In the UK this grønkål is the typical kale found in supermarkets, usually called curly kale, to differentiate it from cavalo nero (Italian for black cabbage, in Scotland known as lang (=long) kale); looks like:

cavolo-nero-toscano.jpg

We get other varieties too. A really nice one is the one known in Italy as cime de rapa:

images

Which, I believe, is what they call turnip tops in the US.

In the south west of England where I live, it is known as hungry gap kale, as it is ready to eat in the early spring, when there's not much fresh stuff growing and ready to eat, the traditional 'hungry gap' in the year.

So cavalo nero is the same as dinosaur kale? Well well well, I guess there still were some things I didn't know.

IMG_3204.jpgIMG_3203.jpgIMG_3205.jpgIMG_3204.jpgIMG_3203.jpgIMG_3205.jpgJust took one out of the oven - Boars head natural casing pepperoni, red onion, mushroom and red pepper. Not my best pie but darn tasty.

One of my favourites is simply slices of ripe, sweet figs and proscuitto crudo. That's it, no tomatoes, no cheese (some do, though), just delicious.

focaccia-fichi-prosciutto-crudo-3-1000x520-735x400.jpg

Check the menu here for ideas: http://www.origano-leith.co.uk/about-restaurant/ better still, go visit and report back to me! :)

My apartment looks over Leith, so that can be arranged!

I am dying, dying dying dying to try Fig and Prosciutto - But I couldn't find any Figs.

Today's effort:

Hw42U2J.jpg

I had bought the Prosciutto, and got defeated because of no fig. I found an olive/chilli/garlic mix suspended in olive oil in the fridge (left overs from when I hosted aperitifs here with friends on time) so the garlic went in a béchamel sauce and the rest, along with some prosciutto went straight on top.

It tasted fine, but again I guess I don't have the temps up enough.

I would like to clarify that I am the PieMan, however over here we definitely don't refer to Pizza's as Pie's!

Have you moved from Stockbridge?

Trouble with figs is that it's difficult to find a ripe and tasty one in the UK

Not yet, been to a few places but haven't made it that far yet! Seems a new place opens up every week...

Nah. Top floor apartment facing the water of Leith in the direction of Leith, I assume some of the lights in the distance are of Leith itself...

Waitrose were meant to have them (I know, not ideal but it's better than nothing, maybe) but nothing. I'll drive to another store tomorrow.

Todays effort. This was a bigger Pizza than the rest.

eoLNsgG.jpg

I rescued a Sony camera with a broken LCD, spent a little bit of money on replacement parts so now I have a proper digital camera. I should learn how to use it properly, perhaps the pizza photos can improve as the pizzas do...

My apartment looks over Leith, so that can be arranged!

Hey whereabouts in Leith do you live? I lived in Edinburgh for about 6 years myself, uni for a bit, then work. Worked about a year in the Hanging Bat over in Tollcross.

Just fyi, I had decent luck finding fresh figs in Lidl of all places, but you had to pick through the not so great ones. One thing I do not miss about living in the UK is the scarcity of a decent variety of good fruit and veg. Remember having to make guacamole every other day and having a minimum of half the box of avocados be rock hard when they came in from the wholesaler.

I was just off Pilrig but i'm in Stockbridge these days.

There's a brand new Lidl I was going to go check out (I buy things like cleaning products there) so sounds like a good idea to go look.

I was just off Pilrig but i'm in Stockbridge these days.

There's a brand new Lidl I was going to go check out (I buy things like cleaning products there) so sounds like a good idea to go look.

Small world, we are a stone throw away then. I'm up the road like 5 mins away.

Hey nice one, come to the Edinburgh Craft Beer festival in a few weeks time! </plug>

I went to Lidl, and... nothing. Not a fig in sight. Defeated (but with Guacamole for tonight in mind, so I had some of the hardest most unappetising avocado ever in hand, tgfencer's post influenced the idea) I slowly walked home.

Afghani man who runs a small shop on the Stockbridge strip had nice fresh figs sitting outside on display. I'd walked straight past them on my way to Lidl! Dammit.

Tried a new dough recipe that a mate of mine suggested, it has sugar in it. I'm not sure if I liked it that much, maybe I used too much yeast? I'd cut his recipe down by 4.

3OIsVRP.jpg

w4P8jJx.jpg

The fig and prosciutto combination was absolutely magnificent though. Loved it.

That's the best looking pizza to date... must be 'cos of the superior flavour ideas ;-)

I have to say, I've only ever eaten this one with sliced figs... Must try it with the wedges.

Glad you liked the combo. And glad you found the Afghan guy... I was going to suggest such a shop but not having lived in Edinburgh for eight years now I couldn't think of one nearby you. That kind of shop is also usually the best for chillies and coriander leaves rather than supermarkets.

There's a shop here called Herbies too which is the best for charcuterie, a George Mews cheese on my street and the Afghan Man, things seem to be around, just need to find them.

So I made my burritos and they were good, the leftover guac went on #2, so somewhat ignore it, it got a bit wild...

Missus wanted goats cheese added to her prosciutto and fig, seemed like an alright idea...

aw8CbkC.jpg

LgGxxSv.jpg

h9tBxnE.jpg

cs6YaK9.jpg

I need a stone. These are alright but without upping the heat they can't get "great".

Back