Pizza sauce/dough recipes?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get back from vacation, I promise I'll share some photos of my pizzas with y'all.

This is the official government recipe, with the substitution of 2 kinds of flour in place of the sometimes hard to find 00 flour from Italy.

Neapolitan Dough

*1 1/2 cups warn water (105-115 degrees)
*1 teaspoon dry yeast (that's right, 1 teaspoon!)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour 1 T. sea salt

*Combine water and yeast, proof for 5-8 minutes.
Mix flours and salt in stand mixer with dough hook.
Add yeast mixture to flour and knead at low speed for 30 minutes
Shape dough into a round, place in lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat.
*Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 4 hours in a warm spot. Punch down and divide into 2 or 4 pieces,
shape into balls. Brush lightly with oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise another 2-4 hours.
*Shape by pressing fingertips into dough, leaving edge puffy to create a rim. Grasp rim with your hands,
working your way around the circle. As the dough dangles it stretches while the edge stays plump.
*Or you can roll it out with a rolling pin for a nice thin crust.*

I've got some people coming over Friday night for pizza, which I have promised to make for them. I'm struggling a little with the logistics though, as I work a 9-5 and folks are coming over at 7. Is there a problem with this plan:

- Make the dough with the ingredients above, and do the 4 hour rise as described
- Shape into balls, brush with oil and cover with plastic wrap as described
- Instead of another 2-4 hour rise, let it sit in the fridge for about 20 hours. Or would it be better to give it both rises the night before, then refrigerate?

Also, since I'm planning on doing 4 pizzas and I'd like them to all come out relatively close together, would it be bad to give all the 4 crusts a 8 or so minute pre-cook before topping any? That would let me knock them all out in pretty quick succession once people show up, but I'm not sure what cooking then allowing to cool then cooking again would do to the end product.

That is the normal recipe I do, do mine a little different but that is basically it. You do need to knead it for 30 mins though. I've tried 10-15 and the crust isn't as chewy as if you let it go for 30. As for fridge time, you can get away with easily doing it three days ahead no problem I do that all the time and it gives the crust more flavor, but one day or over night is also cool. Oh and I put mine in the fridge after its finished kneading cover with plastic. As for your last part about pre-cooking them I don't and I've done this for a 100 people once (and didn't blow my brains out) but if you ask me let your pie sit and cool for a good 10 minutes or so. Cleaner cuts and also won't burn the hell out of your mouth. Someone on here might have done it in the way your thinking but if it were me I would just pound them all out and server them as they finish. And also if you use a rolling pin you really wont have a great edge crust because you flatten it but if you're not up for tossing them it works out good and it will be even. Hope this helps.

This is the recipe I used at my previous workplace. The dough can be kept for 3 days in the refridgerator. Just place a moistened towel on top and cover with cling film.

7200g mid-protein content flour
4000g water (cold, not freezing)
250g salt
120g olive oil
11g yeast (live yeast)

Flour and yeast goes in first. When its well mixed, add the water and salt. drizzle in oil last. We mix it in the machine for about 15-20 minutes. Shape into a large ball, cover with a wet towel and rest the dough for 20 mins. After that cut portions of 90 to 110 grams depending on how big you want your pizza to be. Round into balls. They can now be stored. Remove from refridgerator anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour before use, depending on the weather: temperature, humidity etc High temperature means you can remove them later.
As for the sauce, we use canned tomatoes and taste them before deciding on how much fresh tomatoes to add. It actually depends on how sweet/sour you want your sauce to be. Basic seasoning like salt, pepper, basil, dried oregano and believe it or not some soy sauce is added.

The above dough that I make does nothing but improve when rested in the fridge overnight. If you cook at the high temp recommended they cook quickly enough that I just whack them out and serve as they are ready, like aaron said.

After you shape into balls and brush with oil, does "cover with plastic wrap" mean just put them all in their own bowls and cover to bowl, or are you actually wrapping the dough itself?

I decided to only make 3 pies, so I'll just whack 'em out like you guys suggested. I'm not really sure what temp I'll be baking at, I guess we'll see what my PoS little electric oven can produce. The big differences between this time and my previous experiences are firstly less yeast and thus a slower+longer rise and much more kneading. The extra kneading I think will be a big difference maker, the raw dough after the first rise felt a lot more springy than normal, which is what I would expect from pizza dough.

Get the oven as hot as it will go, and use a heavy pizza stone. I use parchment paper under the pie as it makes things easier still allows good bottom browning.

Get the oven as hot as it will go, and use a heavy pizza stone. I use parchment paper under the pie as it makes things easier still allows good bottom browning.
x2. The hotter the better, and make sure the stone is thoroughly heated before sliding the first pizza in place. We sprinkle cornmeal on the parchment as well. I don't know if that helps or hurts as far as shooting for a crisp crust though (it reduces contact w/ the stone a little, but the cornmeal itself adds some crunch).

I use parchment paper usually just because if I don't I'm prone to making a mess of the uncooked pie when trying to transfer it to the stone. That's probably because I normally roll my crusts as thin as I can.

It worked out beautifully by the way. Just doing them in order ended up being the obvious choice, as by the time I had the 2nd one all topped the way I wanted it, the first was done. Timed freakishly well that way actually.

My only real issue was I found the results to be a touch runny. Not like soupy or anything, and everyone else didn't really know what I was talking about when I mentioned it, but I felt like there was just a touch too much moisture in the pie. I'm wondering if that's a side effect of using fresh mozz?

Yes on the fresh mozz. And thanks for the followup report!

I'm wondering if that's a side effect of using fresh mozz?

Indeed, fresh mozz works best over 700F. Either way though, one really should strain it overnight prior to use. wrap it in cheese cloth and suspend over a bowl in the fridge.

Another very helpful tip is to try and use about half the amount of cheese your brain is telling you that you need. It will still be yummy, don't worry, and your other flavors will be more pronounced as well.

GJ on the pizza btw, beats the hell outta pizza hut, eh?

Stefan,

Don't use granite. They tend to crack easily if heated. If you want, go get a unglazed Terra Cotta planter dish at Home Depot. I think there are 15" rounds that fit most ovens. It is not ideal, but it might work. The kiln shelf are the best options. There has to be something in Oahu that sells pottery supplies.

I use unglazed tiles and rounded off the edges to throw in my Weber. Mine cracked after numerous uses and drove to Home Depot again and shelled out another $5. They work great. I've been tempted to try a kiln shelf just for fun since it isn't a bad investment for around $20

I use unglazed tiles and rounded off the edges to throw in my Weber. Mine cracked after numerous uses and drove to Home Depot again and shelled out another $5. They work great. I've been tempted to try a kiln shelf just for fun since it isn't a bad investment for around $20

I found a pottery supply not too far from me and I may go this route.

I found a pottery supply not too far from me and I may go this route.

I went to look at them at a local place and they say they sell them for pizzas all the time. I'm sure if you tell them you are using them for pizzas they will know exactly what you are talking about. They can also be cut down to size.

Try a tile too, you'll be surprised how well it works.

Latest posts

Back