Post your rectangles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because size matters, here's the two-handed cleaver :

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

And here's the cutting video :

Love it! The grind is great. It came with some eased choil which was a nice touch. And though I typically prefer a smooth finish rather than sandpapery KU, his finish actually feels good to me. An added benefit is that because of the really uneven texture of the forge finish, there's a significant bit of antistick when the food reaches that point.

I've since fully rounded the spine and choil, and went over the wenge handle with 120grit sandpaper. There were a couple splinters from the original handle that I wanted to make sure were all gone. I put 2 layers of hardwax oil on it, and so it's currently curing for another week before I'll take it for another spin. I've now got 4 excellent cleavers in my Tanaka, Matsubara, this Fellipi, and newest Markin (not counting CCK, chopper kings, and other cheaper ones) so I'll need to make time to use em all.

My Markin cleaver is essentially a pimped out CCK in 52100

I went little back and found these two comments. Sorry if I miss others but I'm especially curious about Markin and Fellipi's 52100. How would you compare this two in terms of grinds, profiles (look as flat as CCK though), toughness, edge retention and overall experience.

And in between six knives above which one would be much closer to be your one and only cleaver? Thanks!

Last edited:
I went little back and found these two comments. Sorry if I miss others but I'm especially curious about Markin and Fellipi's 52100. How would you compare this two in terms of grinds, profiles (look as flat as CCK though), toughness, edge retention and overall experience.
I asked for similar knives when reaching out to these makers, but they each tackled the challenge a little differently. Both were convex grinds, both were laser thin behind the edge, but the Markin was definitely more aggressive in maintaining that thinness farther up the edge. The knife from Andrei had a flatter profile compared to Fellipi, but both makers are capable of whatever profile you like. I don't beat on my knives so it's hard to gauge toughness. For sharpening, I feel like they both respond similarly on stones, can take very fine edges, and edge retention is similar. Overall, the Markin is more refined versus the more rustic KU+dirty wrought style of Fellipi. Both have their own merits and maintain a spot in my family of cleavers. And both makers were a pleasure to work with.

And in between six knives above which one would be much closer to be your one and only cleaver? Thanks!
Man, like asking to choose a favorite child! I think that any single one of these cleavers can be a one and only, and some may argue that all the ones outside of the CCK are excessive. But I think the best way to answer your question, I'll say the ones I reach for most often for my tasks are the big boy Y. Tanaka B#1 and the Matsubara ginsan. A large part of the reason being that I feel a bit more connection to these two since I spent a lot of time working on tweaking them to my personal liking; easily 10-20 hours on each. Setting that bias aside, I can focus on the specific aspects of each that makes me choose them from the lineup.

The sheer mass of the Y. Tanaka sets it apart from my other cleavers at around 450g (with new handle), compared to the others that clock in closer to 300-330g. The steel feels amazing, takes crazy sharp edges, and holds them for what feels like longer than any other maker I've experienced. The weight itself can power through everything on its own, but when combined with the insane sharpness of Tanaka-san's B#1, it's an absolute beast.

The Matsubara I also reach for a lot because it's my primary stainless cleaver. So it's really nice to have to portion out cooked stuff right before dinner and not have to worry about reactivity if it sits around for a little while. Out of the box, the knife was not bad, but I made a bunch of modifications to it and made a custom handle that fits me perfectly. I think you can probably find my previous posts on it if you search around a bit.

That choi looks insaaane. It's like you put a workhouse gyuto on top of the thinnest laser and out came this cleaver.
That's an accurate description of Andrei's grind on this one.

This one arrived not to long ago. The timing was bad being I was not trying to buy any knives, but I’ve really wanted a Lasuer cleaver. I actually like the finger notch on this one, but I think many cleavers I would not like it. I’m glad I asked Felipe not to put one on the one from him.
34B95F0B-4B07-438E-AB8C-30173CF5F793.jpeg

This one arrived not to long ago. The timing was bad being I was not trying to buy any knives, but I’ve really wanted a Lasuer cleaver. I actually like the finger notch on this one, but I think many cleavers I would not like it. I’m glad I asked Felipe not to put one on the one from him.
View attachment 213065
I like mine so far, his handle is actually one of the best Chinese chef handle I've used, not too long or too squarish, very natural to use if you are used to traditional Chinese barrel handle. Still kind on the edge about P grind tho, it cuts well, as good as CCK and Toyama nakiri, bit of steering, I wonder if his regular grind would have similar performance, waiting for him to open book so I can order one.

Latest posts

Back