Post your rectangles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine so far, his handle is actually one of the best Chinese chef handle I've used, not too long or too squarish, very natural to use if you are used to traditional Chinese barrel handle. Still kind on the edge about P grind tho, it cuts well, as good as CCK and Toyama nakiri, bit of steering, I wonder if his regular grind would have similar performance, waiting for him to open book so I can order one.
Agree, the handle is what you want I think on a high end cleaver, mines great. You are having steering issues? That’s not good. I hope I don’t. I just cut a few things the other day when I got it. I didn’t notice any steering issues, but I’ll look into it.

Today I broke two rules...

1. No new knives until '23.
2. No copper in my kitchen.

In my defense, the wife loves it, is willing to try using it and enthusiastically encouraged me to grab it before someone else did.

No pics yet as it is not quite finished.

More to follow but let's just say that I'm Knot likely to regret breaking my own rules. ;)

Last edited:
Agree, the handle is what you want I think on a high end cleaver, mines great. You are having steering issues? That’s not good. I hope I don’t. I just cut a few things the other day when I got it. I didn’t notice any steering issues, but I’ll look into it.
Very little compare to a actual single bevel or heavily bias grind, as long as I hold firm.

Very little compare to a actual single bevel or heavily bias grind, as long as I hold firm.
Yeah I'll have to put mine through a large cabbage or something, but I haven't had any steering issues.

20221210_120449.jpg

Adonis Cleaver 192x88mm - pretty sure you havent seen many of those? Cause there are only two out there and this is mine :D
Apex Ultra, Tapered from about 3mm at handle to shy over 1mm at tip; about 300g, could have alittle more weight to it but i like it for now!
P.S.: Please don't throw stones at me for my non existing Chopping skills.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221120_152058.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221217_195702.jpg
    18.1 MB · Views: 0
Adonis Cleaver 192x88mm - pretty sure you havent seen many of those? Cause there are only two out there and this is mine :D
Apex Ultra, Tapered from about 3mm at handle to shy over 1mm at tip; about 300g, could have alittle more weight to it but i like it for now!
P.S.: Please don't throw stones at me for my non existing Chopping skills.
I was green with envy when Antoine first posted it - this thing is badass. Specs look great. Enjoy it 😀

I was green with envy when Antoine first posted it - this thing is badass. Specs look great. Enjoy it 😀
Thanks man! I wanted a knife from him for a few months and if i wanted to have something he doesnt normaly do :D

180mm nakiri from Okubo Kajiya. Ordered with a sharp tip a la Moritaka and those kaku nakiri from Hitohira (if anyone has one of those they don't want you know who to message ha)
IMG_20230513_231734932_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Love the Kaku Nakiri shape, how do you like the Kamata so far?
Yeah it's nice to have a proper tip on a nakiri.

Really enjoying the Kamata. Cuts great and I like the slight curve through the edge. Doesn't feel too big and the extra 70 ish grams over my last #6 cleaver isn't noticeable to me. If anything the extra weight probably helps with the smooth cutting feel.

Finally got around to taking some pictures of this one… it’s a little blade heavy, so it balances out past the pinch, which I think has a lot to do with how little the knife thins out towards the far end. Most of my cleavers “taper” to a pretty flat/thin front face with a laser like tip, this one stays pretty consistent. Definitely my prettiest cleaver, and so far with the little bit I’ve used it, I enjoy it very much.

24DBFE6E-4BA9-4342-A1F7-35940B86C077.jpeg
67518CFE-499C-4C38-BB1C-07A64391E26D.jpeg
52D14F59-B316-4E1B-99DA-A60FB7A656CE.jpeg
2FA9D91F-CD60-4A7F-BA46-51B634312A85.jpeg
D0905894-F9DE-48B0-8181-B965CDCCE575.jpeg
8A5B65FD-D84D-492E-A059-DB71F9AAC588.jpeg
2EAD0828-BBA9-4079-A7D3-B1B9042D580F.jpeg
A9AE3549-4822-4956-84F1-C4F7BBD0E1C1.jpeg

How's the spine thickness on the Unshu Yukimitsu? I'm considering asking for a 180x55 or 60 nakiri
It was supposedly made a bit thicker than he usually does to help with the heat treat as it's tall and thin. I can't imagine it being much thinner though as it cuts like a laser and doesn't wedge at all.

As for numbers, it's 3 mm right above the heel, tapers quickly to 2 mm and then has a gradual taper to 1 mm at the tip. I haven't got calipers so all these measurements are approximate using a ruler.

😂 Still don't know what I'm doing... A random pick up I got with some other cleavers. Came super funky, supposedly never thinned but the tip is thinner than the heel (.5mm 5mm up from cutting egde at tip. 1.10mm 5mm up from cutting edge at heel.) uneven on a board and has a wavy S bend in the cutting edge almost like the dude used it to fruit ninja stuff before sending it out... I'm wondering if I should just save myself the headache and just junk this one...

I tried to straighten the S bends but they're still pretty bad. Had a hard time taking a picture of it but I assume most know what I'm referring to. And the stickiness or whatever...
20230714_144901.jpg
20230714_144930.jpg

A German Nakiri, which is possibly a bit of a ridiculous concept, but I know how much you lot like a Wushof!

To be fair it cuts pretty well and is very nice to use, not convinced that the Dimples do anything other than reduce the lifespan of the knife though. Need to get a real Japanese one to compare it to.

Attachments

• IMG20230814104715.jpg
    IMG20230814104715.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 0
Favorite favorite favorite knife to cook with. As a born and raised Chinese, Chinese cleaver has always been my favorite knife shape to use, it can thin, cut, break bones, and scoop. Almost everything you need with it. remember when I was small and my mom was cooking in the kitchen, this is the only knife she used and is also the first knife I ever used. Lastly, guess who's the maker? (photoshopped the background cause the answer is in the back)
PNG图像 2.PNG
PNG图像.PNG

A German Nakiri, which is possibly a bit of a ridiculous concept, but I know how much you lot like a Wushof!

To be fair it cuts pretty well and is very nice to use, not convinced that the Dimples do anything other than reduce the lifespan of the knife though. Need to get a real Japanese one to compare it to.
Surprised nobody asked for a choil shot of this… but I will gladly volunteer lol

Surprised nobody asked for a choil shot of this… but I will gladly volunteer lol

Here ya go.

I don't think Mr Watanabe (i've got one now) is going to lose any sleep regarding the competition from Germany. But to be fair to it, if you are after an easy to look after nakiri, it cuts well, (they sharpen at 20deg rather than their normal 28) a honing rod does wonders so less sharpening, and if some doofus puts it in the dishwasher, it will have little harmful effect (which can't be said to the effect i'll have on said doofus when I find out)

I should use it more often, but the issue I have with Nakiris, is once you have a Gyuto out, there is not really anything the Nakiri can do that the Gyoto can't, so why get another knife out.

2.5mm thick
46mm depth at heel

Just realised, a Nespresso pod, makes a good prop when taking choil shots.
IMG20231207094534.jpg

Favorite favorite favorite knife to cook with. As a born and raised Chinese, Chinese cleaver has always been my favorite knife shape to use, it can thin, cut, break bones, and scoop. Almost everything you need with it. remember when I was small and my mom was cooking in the kitchen, this is the only knife she used and is also the first knife I ever used. Lastly, guess who's the maker? (photoshopped the background cause the answer is in the back)View attachment 264241View attachment 264242

Pretty! Gotta be a shun :)

Back