Pre-Orders for 52100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe what you're seeing is the result of Shigefusa forging to shape, leaving the tang thicker and unground.

Probably, but it still answers my question.:biggrin: The transition to the bevels, which I just call the plunge cut for lack of a better term is up at the machi and the tang is not beveled. As the tang is unfinished, I suspect that blade was not intended to have the "machi gap" so you also wouldn't notice the fairly significant stepdown in spine thickness from the tang to the ricasso so much. I like the way that was done. Still a fair amount of meat on the tang and a nice smooth transition to the blade.
I believe what you're seeing is the result of Shigefusa forging to shape, leaving the tang thicker and unground.

Really like how you did the tip on the suji Marko.

Mike

Probably, but it still answers my question.:biggrin: The transition to the bevels, which I just call the plunge cut for lack of a better term is up at the machi and the tang is not beveled. As the tang is unfinished, I suspect that blade was not intended to have the "machi gap" so you also wouldn't notice the fairly significant stepdown in spine thickness from the tang to the ricasso so much. I like the way that was done. Still a fair amount of meat on the tang and a nice smooth transition to the blade.

It's shaped by hand with a sen and polished by hand.

Well, you decided it had answered your own question. Doesn't mean it was correctly answered.

One thing you have to get away from is shoehorning sword terms onto kitchen knives. They are unnecessary and often inapplicable. Here is Gator's chart for knife terminology for single bevel knives. Most of these also apply to double bevel knives.

There is no plunge line/cut on a Shigefusa. "The transition to the bevels" is the entire blade face. Some western makers use plunge lines on kitchen knives, like Delbert or Haslinger. But most double bevel knives, Japanese or North American, the transition is smooth all the way from the edge to the spine as the blade gets thicker. How that transition is ground affects the performance of the knife. That is what we are talking about when we are debating flat grind vs convex vs blended bevels, etc.

Funny......a number of those terms, are, in fact, the same terms used for swords. Shinogi, kissiki, sori, mune, to name a few. Just like a sen is also the name for a scraper used for shaping swords. My observation was that on that particular knife, they scraped/shaped the bevels all the way up to the handle and left the tang thicker and squared as opposed to continuing the bevels all the way to the end of the tang. That is more analogous to how a western integral knife is ground as opposed to how nihonto are shaped. That's all. Just putting into terms that I am familiar with. Just like I had a little light go off over my head when a figured out that the blended grind actually resembles a saber grind where the shoulder has been rounded over. I guess in Japanese terms, you would say that you smeared the transition between the kiriba and shinogi, right?:wink:
Well, you decided it had answered your own question. Doesn't mean it was correctly answered.

One thing you have to get away from is shoehorning sword terms onto kitchen knives. They are unnecessary and often inapplicable. Here is Gator's chart for knife terminology for single bevel knives. Most of these also apply to double bevel knives.

There is no plunge line/cut on a Shigefusa. "The transition to the bevels" is the entire blade face. Some western makers use plunge lines on kitchen knives, like Delbert or Haslinger. But most double bevel knives, Japanese or North American, the transition is smooth all the way from the edge to the spine as the blade gets thicker. How that transition is ground affects the performance of the knife. That is what we are talking about when we are debating flat grind vs convex vs blended bevels, etc.

I know some of the terms used on knives are used on swords. I wasn't saying NONE of the terms apply, just some of the ones you have been using do not fit.

As for your observation that they did not continue the bevels onto the tang...that is how it has been on every single tang I have seen. No point in grinding a bevel into something you are going to cover with a handle.

A quick announcement, folks.

On Monday or Tuesday, I will be sending two sujihiki for a private feedback, followed by a passaround gyuto (the following week). I will be making a list of people for passaround this week.

In the mean time, I would like to start on some knives that were commissioned (for those who don't want to wait for passaround reviews). Heat treatment takes a long time (especially when you do one knife at a time) and making handles and sayas also takes a long time, so I better get a head start, before I get burried under work again.

A profile for a gyoto, and a petty is finalized, a suji should be finalized within days. Heat treatment is finalized, and so is geometry and grind for all these knives. All knives will be hand-rubbed to 600 grit and hand-sharpened to about 3-5K.

So, if this sounds like you would like to get on, please send me an email to [email protected] as
my PM box gets full all the time, so email would be is preferable.

For handle material, I am going to give you an option to choose your own. If you buy a block from Burl Source you will get a discount from Mark and a discount from me. This way, you can pick exactly what you like. Please contact me for details.

Thanks!

M

A correction:

I am sending out two sujis and one gyuto, in addition to a gyuto I sent our for testing in August. These are to get a quick feedback on performance, profile, geometry, grind, fit and finish and to help me with making a a pass around knife - 275mm gyuto (260mm on the edge).

I will make a list of people I will send the knife to sometimes this week. Stay tuned.

M

I like the Burl Source collaboration. Mark has some great stuff. That redwood burl you put on my Shige was from him (I can't remember if I ever told ya that, maybe I did, haha).

You didn't, but I had no complains about working that block, so I suspected it was stabilized by K&G. Now I know for sure.

Yeah, I knew it was K&G or WSSI. I think I have seen some of his pieces are done by WSSI. Maybe not, he can chime in and correct me.

I like the Burl Source collaboration. Mark has some great stuff. That redwood burl you put on my Shige was from him (I can't remember if I ever told ya that, maybe I did, haha).

Agree.
I have one from Mark - my Carter
I have one more from Mark when I can find a blade.
And of course lots on my way from Marko with Mark wood. Really looking forward to the handle and mathing saya on our secret project :)

Well, throwing Devin's name in there doesn't help your cause very much...
:)

but nobody is saying what it is... It's obviously a knife, but what steel, what construction, etc. is a secret until it is finished.

It is clearly Oivind's soba-kiri he's been asking for. In Devin damascus and koa saya and handle, natch.

It is clearly Oivind's soba-kiri he's been asking for. In Devin damascus and koa saya and handle, natch.

Haha, I would pay $20 just to see a picture of that knife :lol2:

And $20 more to see Dave's face when it shows up at his shop to be sharpened...

Haha, I would pay $20 just to see a picture of that knife :lol2:

Do you think Oivind will last long without posting pictures on the forum? I don't think so. Why pay money when you get to see it for free as soon as Oivind sees it.

M

175103_700b.jpg

Guess you all seen my title....

Hehe. To be honest Im really looking forward to what Marko will do.
My experience with Marko is that he always strives to become better. So far I have 3 sayas and 3 handles from him, and I got to tell that I love them.
He is great, now on a journey to become better. I guess Marko will be one of the best kkmakers within a year or two... I regard him as great already :)

I am one practice knife away from starting working on the orders and passaround knives. !WHEW!

Based on feedback I received, I made some adjustments to the grind and finish. The knife in the picture is one I ground yesterday implementing those changes. It's a second quality (mostly finish), thought perfectly usable. I will grind one today aiming at first quality (as would be all knives for sale), and if everything goes as expected, I will be open for business as of tomorrow. :)

Knife measurements:
3.44mm at the spine at the handle
3mm over the heel on the spine
2mm half the way on the spine
.7mm 10mm from the tip
1.9mm half way down on the heel
.005" on the edge
178g (with ho wood handle. Will probably be 200-220g with a cocobolo handle)
Shallow convex grind.

DSC_0051.jpg

PS: the gunk on the spine is bees wax I used to seal the tang hole. :)

Great news for us that are waiting!

I hope you got my 3 knives ready for xmas! :happymug:

Back