Sous Vide Pressure Cooker, Chamber Vac, Sous Vide Unit....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danny, This is the one I have. I don't have any experience with any other one. Still gets great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045QEPYM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is the site that I bought mine from. They're selling the Hotel Style braiser for $420. OUCH. Between you and me, I just don't think you'll get your ROI on this pot for a long long time. The 5QT is $270? Like I said I do stock in it all the time, can make at least 3 QTS per load too.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/kuhn_rikon.aspx

Thanks MB! I wasn't seeing much reason to spend the extra $100 on the other unit...but wondered if I was just missing something.

I usually shop Amazon to find products/reviews/etc...then I use froogle (google shopping) to find the best price...which is almost always through an amazon business partner. e.g. the 8 qt pot is available for only $50 more than the 5qt...which seems like $50 well spent.

I guess the induction unit works with this stainless PC b/c of the embedded disk in the bottom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zwiefel, $50 more for a 8QT might be a good option for sure. Definately works with the KR pressure cooker.

So you're going to get the KR and Dorkfoods SV PID.

GOOD GOOD

What about the chamber Vac?

So you're going to get the KR and Dorkfoods SV PID.

GOOD GOOD

What about the chamber Vac?

Yup, also the Duxtop induction unit, and Modernist Cuisine at home. You're going to cost me even more money than EdipisReks did! ;)

Chamber vac will have to wait a bit. as will any upgrade on the Sous vide rig.

I have been thinking about an induction burner maybe I'll grab this one. I am not really sure why I want it other than for gatherings here at home when I need another burner. Am I missing any uses? Besides I just want to tinker with an induction cooktop.

Rah, I've had my induction top for almost two years now. Use it nearly everyday:

Pro's:
1. Heats up water twice as fast as traditioal high heat gas burners
2.) Only heats up the pan. Very nice when cooking indoors in the summer
3.) Allows you to set it and forget it. Has a timer that shust the unit off
4.)Really very energy efficent
6.) Can get you pan to screaming high heats
5.) Very portable

Cons:
1. Does not replace a proper gas stove. Inducation is not as adjustable, usually only has ten settings. But its like a microwave, its either on or off
2. The actual burner size is small, usually around 6" So its not great for large pans
3.) Must have magnetic pans. Anything Alumnium like calphalon won't work.

I have been thinking about an induction burner maybe I'll grab this one. I am not really sure why I want it other than for gatherings here at home when I need another burner. Am I missing any uses? Besides I just want to tinker with an induction cooktop.

In addition to the points MB made, they are highly portable. I will find a lot of use for it in my RV....and out of the RV too....saves on propane too!

In addition to the points MB made, they are highly portable. I will find a lot of use for it in my RV....and out of the RV too....saves on propane too!

How much does it drain your RV battery/generator?

How much does it drain your RV battery/generator?

I only camp at places with full hookups...so....zero! :D Let's me more fully use what I'm already paying for, while generating about 1/3 as much heat that my AC will have to fight. 100% win/win.

Just in time for the weekend!

9320572189_43b7eb5d27.jpg

9320576585_8bf23218cd.jpg

Dammit...I thought this thing had an 11. brought the PC up to full pressure in 5 minutes though...not too shabby...about the same as my 30k burners...but with a lot less heat pumped into my kitchen.
9320580661_c3c08ba74d.jpg

Going to try a "quick" ribeye in this tonight, then sear in cast iron on the induction unit. Serve with some baby veggies from the PC...and a little chimichurri sauce.

I want a full report:) I was hoping you would spring for the vac too for the same reason:lol2:
ha! this was already a shock to the budget...I will get the vac unit, but going to have to save for a bit...or maybe get some partners. After that, I might go for the high-end PolyScience unit so I can increase my volume. Esp nice when you have the vac unit I think.

About 2 hours in on the ribeye/delmonico. about 80 minutes in on the garlic confit. heirloom potatoes and celery root to follow along with the searing of the steak. Chimichurri is resting in the fridge...will add some of the confit once ready. Going to be epic. Doing 3 kinds of cooking tonight that are totally new to me.

Ready to go in the Bath:
9322604895_e1b04d3cb1.jpg

About the least sexy cooking photo I've ever taken...this is about an hour in:
9325393456_91ddaf0ee1.jpg

A little pressure roasted garlic confit...well, 100 cloves worth, that was about 45 minutes of work to peel:
9325390820_8a378b6497.jpg

9325384398_8bb579b006.jpg

Going into the PC for an hour:
9325380582_7f467cf5ef.jpg

Letting off a bit of steam with the neighbor...
9322585547_123df918a3.jpg

Just amazing. so deeply roasted, infused with the thyme + rosemary. Definitely will follow MuchoBocho's advice about leaving 2" of headspace in the future...lots of tasty EVOO was dumped into the water :(
9322578923_41e7e0878f.jpg

ribeye done, 3 hours. Time for an icebath to help the meat relax.
9325367998_cee82621e0.jpg

Heirloom potatoes and celery root with thyme, rosemary, EVOO and a bit of water. (about to be) Pressure cooked for 8 minutes.
9325365422_e9a0f8a6a2.jpg

Looks a bit weird coming out of the sous vide...like it was poached.
9325360526_3d2580d6a4.jpg

A quick sear with the induction plate leaves it looks a might tastier:
9325357372_af254ae5ae.jpg

Very impressed with the heat/energy coming out of the induction unit...the crust was excellent. But it cost me a cast iron skillet. I left it on the burner for 3-5 minutes to heat up, then heard a very loud pop and thought I had broken the glass on the induction unit somehow. I'm guessing that the 8" induction ring was heating the center of the pan much faster than the heat could move to the outer part and the expansion rate differential was enough to crack the pan. Damn shame, it was a very well seasoned pan which I'd had for 15+ years. At least it will only cost me $25 to replace...plus a bit of cooking to reseason.
9325352088_7a1538296f.jpg

Dinner was pretty tasty. The potatoes were superb...the texture was just excellent. The steak was slightly overdone, will have to drop the DSV down a few degrees next time.
9322557247_27c8a81e9a.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with my results given that I used 3 new techniques to make dinner tonight. Will only get better from here. Thanks to MuchoBocho for giving me the bug to get started on this stuff.

Looking pretty good! Did you let the steak drop temp for 10 - 20 min on the counter top, then lower temp water before the ice bath? How stuff is cooled from the bath can improve texture and moisture perception. A handy hint is to do the steaks the day before and then use the refrigerator to dry off the surface.

Final hint is that when you salt has a major bearing on taste; do it before and on long cooks the meat will taste braised rather than grilled. You can use this to your advantage to mess with folks heads.

Looking pretty good! Did you let the steak drop temp for 10 - 20 min on the counter top, then lower temp water before the ice bath? How stuff is cooled from the bath can improve texture and moisture perception. A handy hint is to do the steaks the day before and then use the refrigerator to dry off the surface.

Final hint is that when you salt has a major bearing on taste; do it before and on long cooks the meat will taste braised rather than grilled. You can use this to your advantage to mess with folks heads.

No, I went straight from the SV to the ice bath. I'll give your approach a try and see what happens.

I read that putting the salt in the SV bag will make the meat take on a cured texture, is that not true? Does it depend on time? temp? meat/cut?

JC, Welcome to the forum. I agree with what you've said so far about drying proteins in the refrigerator after SV and not salting meats if cooked long. Unless your trying for a cured texture.

But Could you elaborate on what you mean by "drop in temp on the counter to improve texture and moisture." I usually go from the warm water to a very cold, mostly icy water bath and hold in cold water for 30min or so. Also, I chill all of my proteins after SV.

Zwiefel, Sorry about your cast iron pan, I've only heard about that hapening. But look at it this way, now you get a chance to buy a Debuyer. I know you hate me now ;-)

Great update! I see you certainly went large enough on the PC! Not sure to get a 6 or 7.4? GET AN 8! That thing is a beast!

Sorry to hear about the pan, that made me sad to see: like losing an old friend.

You should also look at Paderno heavy carbon steel pans. I got one to replace my debuyer mineral that warped. Carbons steel takes a bit longer to get a stable patina, but it's though as nails and seems to resist warping / return to unwarped state much better than iron.
Its also a bit lighter and has an optional oem silicon handle sleeve that fits really well. Cheaper too...

I'm pretty sure that EReiks bought both and said that they perform comparable but I think he was more fond of the De Buyer. $54 for a 10 Debuyer or $33 for a Paderno. i have to say that is a very nice price, but I'm a Debuyer Guy myself but in actual cooking it prrobably doesn't make that much difference.

Justin, How did you warp your pan? Did you put it in a sink of water immediately after high hear frying? They are built like tanks?

Thanks MB...I'll have to mull the 10/12 question. I've used 12" for 90% of my cooking for some years...

The link said that the pan is only oven safe to 400F for 10 minutes...WTH? I would think this thing would be bulletproof in the oven. What gives?

Great update! I see you certainly went large enough on the PC! Not sure to get a 6 or 7.4? GET AN 8! That thing is a beast!

Sorry to hear about the pan, that made me sad to see: like losing an old friend.

You should also look at Paderno heavy carbon steel pans. I got one to replace my debuyer mineral that warped. Carbons steel takes a bit longer to get a stable patina, but it's though as nails and seems to resist warping / return to unwarped state much better than iron.
Its also a bit lighter and has an optional oem silicon handle sleeve that fits really well. Cheaper too...

Honestly, I think it's a great size...wider than it is high, but high enough to fit pint-size mason jars (7 of them!). I was worried it would be a little cumbersome, but I don't think so at all after using it for about 10 hours now. That being said, I have a generously sized kitchen to store it in.

I'll have to do some digging on the Paderno vs DeBuyer....I know there is a huge long thread on here about love for the DeBuyers though...

Thanks MB...I'll have to mull the 10/12 question. I've used 12" for 90% of my cooking for some years...

The link said that the pan is only oven safe to 400F for 10 minutes...WTH? I would think this thing would be bulletproof in the oven. What gives?
The handle is coated in some sort of clear powdercoat, I think that is the problem, but I still put mine in the oven with no problems yet.

You may be able to find some DeBuyer pans at Tuesday Morning, I got mine there for over half off.

Ha, there's also a thread about paderno :) THREAD WAR! :knight:

MB: dont know what specifically caused it, crappy electic burner sure didnt help, but induction will be even worse for that. I didnt really abuse it (no full hot to full quench or anything like that), it just seemed to warp as it heated up, but never quite went all the way back to shape afterwards.
Where as I HAVE really abused the Paderno and while it warps very slightly when heating, it flattens right back out when it reaches even temp or when it cools all the way off after. I wanted a pan that didnt need babying; ive already got a vintage Wagner for fussing over.
Another point I'll add is that the paderno has better dynamic temp response, but still plenty of thermal inertia.

Comparing De Buyer Mineral and Paderno is apples and oranges. De Buyer makes a blue steel pan that weighs less than the mineral lines and is considerably cheaper - just like the Paderno.

That said I don't know what "Mineral" means about the actual composition of the pan. Do know that I prefer De Buyer Mineral B to De Buyer Blue Steel. No experience w Paderno.

Prob one of those things where you can't make a bad choice.

Sorry been busy with work - Heard about chilling on cooking issues podcast and it does make a difference. Basically you let it cool down for 20-30 minutes then into cold water then ice water. Did some tests awhile back with duck confit and the moisture leakage was much lower in the 2 stage process and texture a little more natural.

My vote is de buyer hi temp..had the lyonaise pan that is way thin! but the hi temps are great.

With a stirred bath you can cook from frozen or defrost. It is routine now to batch cook stock/curries/ragu and vac seal flat then freeze.

Oh and Sausages...63.5c for 1 - 1.5 hours, let cool then brown in pan.

Was recommended by the maitre'd at a top Sydney restaurant...as "Life changing!"

Comparing De Buyer Mineral and Paderno is apples and oranges. De Buyer makes a blue steel pan that weighs less than the mineral lines and is considerably cheaper - just like the Paderno.

That said I don't know what "Mineral" means about the actual composition of the pan. Do know that I prefer De Buyer Mineral B to De Buyer Blue Steel. No experience w Paderno.

Prob one of those things where you can't make a bad choice.

Debuyer "Mineral" is named as such because they are made of pure iron(a mineral), Paderno (and I'm guessing the blue steel) is carbon steel.

Latest posts

Back