Questions about Konosuke HD2 Wa Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqt4tw

Reaction score
The Ho wood knife they actually have in stock, all of their stuff has recently gone up in price because the Canadian Dollar is in the dumps. In US it isn't that different. The rosewood knife was probably in stock years ago when the Canadian and USD were on par

Yes its on sale. but I just wonder if it can be that much difference . just want to make sure both are the same

The rosewood handle versions are many years ago and are long gone, as is the Canadian dollar. The new versions are ho wood and inflation adjusted about the same cost. The story is that rosewood is hard to source now in Japan, reality is Indian rosewood is relatively easy to source and its most likely venders padding the bottom line using ho wood.

I wish ichii was a stock option on more knives....

to answer the question yes, the grind, the steel etc are all the same in both choices.
I bet the rosewood price was set a long time ago. since then, hd2 has gained a quite a bit of following and konosuke had a hard time meeting the demand.

with that, HD2 have been out of the market for the past year and a half, so its pretty clear that konosuke would have streamlined the variations as much as possible to get the readied knives out to the market quickly. given that ho wood handle is widely available in japan, it would have been their top choice. with the hd2 price already gone up everywhere, it makes even more sense to put the functional but inexpensive handle on.

The Konosuke handle maker was out on maternity leave about 18 months ago. The less desirable D handle may have somehow been a result of that.

Cheers,

Rick

Back