Ready Made 225mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured for the sake of efficiency, you'd stick to a batch for right handed users. I'll hope to see you by the end of summer when you catch up a little to get a knife order going. Lefty honesuki maybe. I am looking forward to using a knife with you level of fit and finish. Steel and style to e determined. BTW, enjoying the diamond plates and holder, thanks Marko. If you do a small group of knives for lefties, I'd be interested as well.

I figured for the sake of efficiency, you'd stick to a batch for right handed users. I'll hope to see you by the end of summer when you catch up a little to get a knife order going. Lefty honesuki maybe. I am looking forward to using a knife with you level of fit and finish. Steel and style to e determined. BTW, enjoying the diamond plates and holder, thanks Marko. If you do a small group of knives for lefties, I'd be interested as well.

Lefties are welcome here, it really doesn't make that much of a difference grinding a single or double bevel knife.

M

Does this apply to the hybrid hon/petty, or is that one closed Marko?

I don't think I will have time to do it before Aug 1, but I might run another batch in September.

M

I hope to see you in September if you have time Marko. I think I'm less than an hour away during the week. Thanks

So that you guys know that I am not bluffing, here is another lefty (180mm petty chef in AEB-L).

I will add maple a choice of wood for the next run of ready-made. I have two kinds, blond and reddish, both AAA grade. I really like this combination (light and dark wood), and will probably do a matching blackwood end cap on some handles.

DSC_0559.jpg

gorgeous! You don't strike me as the bluffing type. Already looking forward to a Marko lefty.

That petty is sublime
Your profiles are purpose conceived and executed
Wonderfully
Wood work is outstanding

Heattreated some 52100 and AEB-L today, tomorrow heattreating more of 52100 and A2.

Wednesday, start grinding. Whew.

M

Marko in the future will you be doing ready made gyuto runs in different sizes.. say 180MM? :viking:

Marko in the future will you be doing ready made gyuto runs in different sizes.. say 180MM? :viking:

180mm is my bread and butter size, courtesy of Steve Sipcich. The last picture I posted (one with the maple handle for left hand use) is that of 180mm.

Yes, I will. In fact I am planning either 255 or 240mm run in September.

M

I am aiming to have first 5 knives shipped tomorrow. Pics tomorrow morning.

M

Here are some details:

- I made them a little longer (5-6mm) to factor in broken tips down the road, so the actual lengh on the edge is about 230mm

- Tip is thin, but no excessive flex (in fact, very little flex)

- Same goes for the spine, I actually ground it a little thicker for the lengh to give the knife a little more heft

-Tip curve at the last 1.5" (or so) is flattened to allow more efficient tip use

- Knife is very thin at the edge and above, so when sharpening, don't go below 1K and don't apply much pressure - burr will form very easily with little pressure. And remember to use the felt/diamond strop - it will prolong life of you knife considerably and make frequent sharpening unnecessary. The edge should last 1-2 months in a pro kitchen in between sharpening, with frequent stropping.

Well, all blades in the first batch turned out to be for a left hand use. I changed one step in a process to accommodate working on several blades at the time, and as result, I got lefties - the bevel angle is slightly larger on the left side than on the right . Starting on replacement righties tomorrow!

These will be offered as ready-made for left hand users.

M

False alarm - only a couple are for a left hand use. I just inspected a knife from a reputable J. maker and could say with a certain degree of confidence that it would be more suitable for a left hand user, but it came with a right hand handle.

Lol :fanning::ninja:

:D

It's like a litter of Scotties, where you can have black and brindle puppies. So far two could be better suited for lefties, and they would have left handle. Two are coin toss.

The next batch will be only for right-hand.

Took one home to test cutting.

As you can see, the profile is is Masamoto derived, however the immediate area behind the tip is a bit flatter for efficient tip work. This feature will make it a poor rocker, as tip will have tendency to stick in the board, but it will make a fine pull/push cutter and precise tip worker.

DSC_0557.jpg

An update

This project is on hold until I return from vacation. I ground the whole batch .5mm thinner, and that turned out to be a mistake, as it impacted food release, even though it improved cutting performance (the knife glides through sweet potatoes). I frantically tried to redo the batch, but I kept making mistakes, costly mistakes, and it has had a discouraging effect, so I had to step away from this project, finish a few unrelated projects, and come back to it at a later time.

I apologize for raising expectations, but everything I send out now has to perform on all levels, or it is a deal breaker.

I wanted to thank people who committed to this order and I hope the incentives I offered were well received.

I will go back to my tried and true geometry, an example of which is below. It would be a similar knife you guys will get. Thinness on the edge (tip to heel) is under .005.

Thanks everybody.

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

This is why you are possibly one of the most sought after makers in the game.

Have a great vacation, Marko.

Back