Ready Made Honesuki & Honesuki/Petty Hybrid - True Single Beveled w/Hollow Back

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent you an email on your site, inbox here is full fyi

prototype 1.1 honesuki in 19C27 alongside Watanabe honesuki, and prototypes 1.0. Pictures aren't great, finish is only up to 320, but this one has a chisel grind tip, and is ground more like a honesuki (thicker) than a honesuki/petty. You can see it on one of the pics how much thicker it is at the heel.

I needed to test a couple of things, so another prototype will be upcoming, before I will take on a batch.

M

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

I brought both version 1.0 honesukis home and cut some vegetables with them. Both cut well, almost no steering.

Petty/honesuki was supposed to be a hybrid knife, but I wonder how many people would want to use a honesuki (slightly less tall and flat profile than a typical J. honesuki) for some basic cutting outside of proteins? Just thinking aloud, but the truth is both blades are pretty sturdy, so should I make the honesuki a multi-purpose knife as well?

I vote for a multipurpose knife (don't like un-itaskers).

My plan is mainly to carve up chickens and pheasants so I would lean to the traditional for mine.

135mm will be thinner, but 150mm will have to be either thinner or full thickness, one or the other, as I will not make 2 different versions.

M

I will make it simpler for everybody.

135mm - multitasker (petty/honesuki), thinner
150mm - unitasker (honesuki), thicker(will steer if used to cut vegetables)

If any of you want to switch between the two, that's fine.

M

I will make it simpler for everybody.

135mm - multitasker (petty/honesuki), thinner
150mm - unitasker (honesuki), thicker(will steer if used to cut vegetables)

If any of you want to switch between the two, that's fine.

M

Hi Marko,

Could you please switch mine from the 150 to the 135 as I would prefer a multitasker. Thank you, and I will be in touch with a couple of questions about Saya making. :biggrin:

Hi Marko,

Could you please switch mine from the 150 to the 135 as I would prefer a multitasker. Thank you, and I will be in touch with a couple of questions about Saya making. :biggrin:

Done!

Back from vacation! How are these fitting into the plan? Glad to see you back and excited to see more.

I have a quick request, Marko. Could you make the handle on mine (135 mm) cocobolo, as I already have some that I can use to make a matching saya.

Starting to work on these. First one is Rick's. Picks as soon as the knife is completed.

M

Yours is the hardest, so it got to be PenTig. :D

This one just to test run the process, after that, things should run smoothly.

Uggghhh why do I have to be so difficult??!

What is so difficult with Rick's vs. the others? If I may ask?

Rick's honesuki is in DT mystery carbon. I find it very difficult to bring this steel to same finish as my 52100. Hand-polising this steel with automotive sandpaper is pretty futile.

I hope you have one more for the 225. These will be a matching pair.

Awesome! I guess you'll be clearing some space, Rick(?)

Marko any update on these bad boys?

Great to hear! I was afraid I missed that all important email.

Just noticed this thread now as I hadn't joined when it started. Any chance to get on the 135mm version?

I am not taking any new orders past what I committed to. Should anybody cancel theirs, that knife will become available.

150mm Western Handle honesuki with maple handle with blackwood accents (inspired by Michael Rader's work). Brass guard.

The handle is roughly shaped and the knife hasn't been polished yet, so final pics are coming once completed.

Marko

20140108_140449_resized.jpg

20140108_140434_resized.jpg

Back