recommendations: 135-150mm petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gollux

Reaction score
Hey everyone. With the advice of you good people, I picked up a Watanabe Pro Nakiri a few years ago, which I absolutely love. Life circumstances have taken me away from knives for a while, but I have an important life transition coming up - to mark the occasion, I'd like to get myself a new knife. Given what's already in my collection, I'm thinking a petty would be useful for smaller tasks - preferably something in a relatively robust steel so that my partner feels comfortable using it. Ginsan looks durable and relatively easy to sharpen, but I'm open to anything! Thanks in advance for your help.

KNIFE TYPE

Petty, 135-150mm
budget: $150-300 USD

semi-stainless preferred (Ginsan?), Aogami Super an option

Nashiji or migaki finish preferred, but I'm not fussy.

background:

I'm comfortable maintaining my knives, but because the blade will be used on lemons and such, something less reactive is appealing. I can't stand sharpening my VG10 Tojiro, so perhaps a semi-stainless that's easier to sharpen: Ginsan? SKD/SLD? I'd also like to try Aogami Super at some point.

I have a Kurosaki Gyuto in SG2 and a Watanabe Nakiri in (I think?) Blue 2. I'm interested to try something different with my next purchase. I'd like to try White 2 sometime, but probably not for this purchase.

KNIFE USE

Home use, focusing on smaller tasks, mostly slicing.

I usually use pinch grip / push cut.

I'm most interested in sharpening performance and edge retention. I have SG stones - 500, 1k, 4k, and I might add another if the steel would benefit from a finer grit.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

I use a Tojiro kiri wood board and a board from reclaimed Huon pine.

I do sharpen - not an expert, but I can get a decent edge.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Thanks in advance for your help!

Akifusa and Tsunehisa both come to mind. They are both from the same factory with Akifusa generally being slightly more refined. They can both be found in Aogami Super and Akifusa in SRS-15 and Tsunehisa in SRS-13 and Ginsan. Nicely executed knives that you and your partner won't be afraid to use.

SRS-13 and -15 are essentially the same stainless powder metallurgy steel.

Akifusa and Tsunehisa both come to mind. They are both from the same factory with Akifusa generally being slightly more refined. They can both be found in Aogami Super and Akifusa in SRS-15 and Tsunehisa in SRS-13 and Ginsan. Nicely executed knives that you and your partner won't be afraid to use.

SRS-13 and -15 are essentially the same stainless powder metallurgy steel.

Beautiful, thanks. I've decided to go with Yoshikane for the petty, but now I'm thinking of picking up a short gyuto for my partner. I see that Tsunehisa has a 180mm gyuto in Ginsan that's very affordable - perhaps I'll give that a try.

Last edited:
Back