Recommendations for 240 PM gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, looking for a gift for a mentor of my sister. He basically saved her life a few times, so I'm going to make a custom handle for a nice knife.

He will pay for profesional sharpening, but won't ever do it himself. Hasn't used carbon knives before. I was thinking an ideal knife would be a PM steel gyuto, on the taller side as he has big hands. Easier care and solid edge retention. Absolutely open to contrary opinions!

Because I will be making a handle, not worried about that much, other than needs to be Wa or without a handle altogether. Considering two options (listed at bottom of form) but I don't know much about either.
Thanks for your suggestions!

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto or K-tip Santoku

Handle
Wa

Length

Stainless or Carbon?
Stainless (powdered steel ideally)

Max Budget

KNIFE USE
Main Use
Home cook, 70% veggies and fruits, some meat
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
N/A
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Hammer grip sometimes pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push Cut, Chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
Easy to care for, excellent edge retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes - Wood
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No, but they will pay for occasional professional sharpening

Knives currently considering:
Sentan HAP-40 Gyuto 240 mm from K&S
Gesshin Kagero 240mm Wa Gyuto from JKI

Optional but nice to have:
Going to rehandle it, so option to skip the handle all together would be fine

I would caution about knowing what "paying for professional" sharpening means. There are a lot of "pro" sharpeners out there but that doesn't mean they can handle high carbide steels. If he's going to go with a local belt sander type sharpener, then I'd go simpler steel.

I would caution about knowing what "paying for professional" sharpening means. There are a lot of "pro" sharpeners out there but that doesn't mean they can handle high carbide steels. If he's going to go with a local belt sander type sharpener, then I'd go simpler steel.
I helped my buddy get his first j-knife some 6-7 years ago, a Kohetsu AS 270. The cladding was a little close to the edge for my taste, but he loved it and used the heck out of it. Eventually, it needed some real thinning so he wasn't just cutting with stainless cladding, and I didn't have the confidence then to do it.

Enter the local pro sharpener with the belt sander.

Anyways, I sent a few pics of the mangled remains to Dave, who basically told me the repair costs would be more than a new Kohetsu 😂

Always vet your local pro sharpeners. Most these guys spend 99% of their time overgrinding cheap soft stainless westerns.

Hap-40 could probably handle "Pro" sharpeners better, but belt sander can overheat any steel. If you can find a sukenari hap-40 blade only that could be good. Or find one with simple handle and replace.

Thanks all! Appreciate the recommendations and cautions.

I don't have information about his level of knife skills. By pro sharpener, I meant a guy who will use proper stones, not a bench grinder.

Back