• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Red Flags on BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He just dropped vids of both sides of the blade. Seems fine to me.
I have also clarified with the seller: there were multiple 240mm FMs available (as well as an 210mm) but one has sold but another one is available. Not sure which one of them the photos and videos depict. I’m too vexed to satisfy my FM itch this time but good luck to all involved.

I have also clarified with the seller: there were multiple 240mm FMs available (as well as an 210mm) but one has sold but another one is available. Not sure which one of them the photos and videos depict. I’m too vexed to satisfy my FM itch this time but good luck to all involved.
I feel you...just had a similar experience, both somehow disappointing and frustrating, where the lack of transparency ended up weakening the trust, which is nonetheless essential in this type of transaction.

I feel you...just had a similar experience, both somehow disappointing and frustrating, where the lack of transparency ended up weakening the trust, which is nonetheless essential in this type of transaction.
Referring to an interaction that seller?

Referring to an interaction that seller?
Indeed... I won't go into details publicly, and perhaps my 'sensitivity' is the real issue, not the seller who has every right to set their conditions. But being relatively new here, the numerous warnings (which can be read here in particular) have ultimately prompted me to exercise caution/restraint regarding this offer.

Indeed... I won't go into details publicly, and perhaps my 'sensitivity' is the real issue, not the seller who has every right to set their conditions. But being relatively new here, the numerous warnings (which can be read here in particular) have ultimately prompted me to exercise caution/restraint regarding this offer.
Smart move. Seller didn't give me the warm and fuzzies from the outset. Buy the seller as they say. He also irritated the admin over on the other site. Pretty good going.

Last edited:
Smart move. Seller didn't give me the warm and fuzzies from the outset. Buy the seller as they say. He also irritated the admin over on the other site. Pretty good going.
Not sure which other site you're referring to, but regarding the 'irritating' aspect, I completely agree. Also true how important it is to have confidence in the person or entity selling a product or service, rather than just focusing on the product itself. A good balance between feel and factual elements often leads to making the right choice.

If someone was on my sale thread posting multiple skeptical comments about whether or not I was attempting to scam people I’d likely not be warm and gracious with them either. Just sayin.
If that were the case, you might put a little more effort into assuaging doubts and building trust though. You might also seek to set the record straight explicitly and transparently, rather than obfuscating whatever the truth is with further odd details like there being multiple of the same knife. You might even ask other with whom you’ve transacted (having been on KKF for months or years, I believe) to vouch for you. The seller has been in KKF for a while, so I’m inclined to believe that it’s just poor communication, but my doubts are too strong to go further. I’m not intending to be critical or make a personal attack, but transacting with strangers through private transactions on the internet requires some measure of trustworthiness and confidence-building. I’ve engaged in a relatively significant number of transactions in KKF and also been the target of a couple of scams. I have calibrated my perceptions accordingly and everyone has a different risk tolerance threshold. Mine is relatively low.

Seller in question can be guilty of having a poor understanding of BST online etiquette I agree. But a lot of this stuff is just norms for being online often and on the forum.
My assumption is that it’s due to lack of experience selling online, could be wrong but that’s my impression. Maybe I’m speaking out of turn because I’m not really following the situation closely.
Either way, he was met with a combative nature. Posts like “still waiting on those measurements” is not the way to get someone to cooperate with our expectations.

If that were the case, you might put a little more effort into assuaging doubts and building trust though. You might also seek to set the record straight explicitly and transparently, rather than obfuscating whatever the truth is with further odd details like there being multiple of the same knife. You might even ask other with whom you’ve transacted (having been on KKF for months or years, I believe) to vouch for you. The seller has been in KKF for a while, so I’m inclined to believe that it’s just poor communication, but my doubts are too strong to go further. I’m not intending to be critical or make a personal attack, but transacting with strangers through private transactions on the internet requires some measure of trustworthiness and confidence-building. I’ve engaged in a relatively significant number of transactions in KKF and also been the target of a couple of scams. I have calibrated my perceptions accordingly and everyone has a different risk tolerance threshold. Mine is relatively low.
The guy was jumped on right away and called a scammer. True enough he could do all you say and resolve the issue, but I could also understand being apprehensive after being called out without real reason as far as he is concerned.

In all cases though if something doesn’t feel right for any reason don’t buy. Regardless of what the knife is it is not worth being scammed.

The guy was jumped on right away and called a scammer. True enough he could do all you say and resolve the issue, but I could also understand being apprehensive after being called out without real reason as far as he is concerned.

In all cases though if something doesn’t feel right for any reason don’t buy. Regardless of what the knife is it is not worth being scammed.
I don’t disagree with any of that (but, to be clear, I did not and will not accuse anyone of being a scammer).

Seller in question can be guilty of having a poor understanding of BST online etiquette I agree. But a lot of this stuff is just norms for being online often and on the forum.
My assumption is that it’s due to lack of experience selling online, could be wrong but that’s my impression. Maybe I’m speaking out of turn because I’m not really following the situation closely.
Either way, he was met with a combative nature. Posts like “still waiting on those measurements” is not the way to get someone to cooperate with our expectations.
Asking for measurements when the the poster was using stock photos of a completely different knife is not unusual. Turns out he was selling both 210 and 240's, so in hindsight these were pertinent details. Seller chose to ignore those requests 🤷‍♂️.
And no one was calling him a scammer but the shady presentation (enough for a mod to temporarily remove the listing) and deliberately ignoring questions would give anyone cause for concern, pre and post sale.

I am getting scam messages from an already banned account and encouraging me to make inquiries for knives that I’ve expressed interest in at a certain email address. Funnily, if I visit my BST thread, a new message comes through … automated more likely than coincidence - watch out in the wasteland folks.

I am getting scam messages from an already banned account and encouraging me to make inquiries for knives that I’ve expressed interest in at a certain email address. Funnily, if I visit my BST thread, a new message comes through … automated more likely than coincidence - watch out in the wasteland folks.
Same...anytime someone tells you to email about a WTB it's a scam.

Xerxes Masterpiece. Asked a question regarding current state of the knife. Seller has chosen not to respond. Tread carefully. The beauty shots are from 7 years ago when it was new and the knife has clearly been used since then.
Did they not respond completely?? Or respond but not answer your question?

Did they not respond completely?? Or respond but not answer your question?
Seems like he is pissed he is getting ignored...
He asked a question which didn't get answered in a few hours, so better cry wolf.
When I'm at work I won't check Kkf for at least 9 hours and then might not be interested in the evening to do so. Of course I will do if I have a BST listing.
Seller seems to be not so versed in BST. Still missing choil and spine shots and a bit much fluff, could be more compact. Doubt someone is gonna offer such a priced and rare item to scam people. Also it's PayPal G&S. So unless seller seems dubious and still asks for a different pay method I don't get it

Only have pics on my Pc at home so couldn't update on the fly myself

Seems like he is pissed he is getting ignored...
He asked a question which didn't get answered in a few hours, so better cry wolf.
When I'm at work I won't check Kkf for at least 9 hours and then might not be interested in the evening to do so. Of course I will do if I have a BST listing.
Seller seems to be not so versed in BST. Still missing choil and spine shots and a bit much fluff, could be more compact. Doubt someone is gonna offer such a priced and rare item to scam people. Also it's PayPal G&S. So unless seller seems dubious and still asks for a different pay method I don't get it

Only have pics on my Pc at home so couldn't update on the fly myself
Photos are part of the description. Not giving a true representation of the knife's current state and relying of pics from SEVEN years ago when it's been used and probably sharpened, is disingenuous. It could even have been damaged/repaired in the last 7 years, nobody knows cos we don't have accurate photos.
Yes, you are protected with G&S but seller neither says its new or used and my question was to clarify the condition. Seller could say to PP if the buyer complains, well I didn't say these were actual pics of the knife I sold when I sold it. Yes, it's an expensive knife so even more reason to be completely upfront and transparent.

Photos are part of the description. Not giving a true representation of the knife's current state and relying of pics from SEVEN years ago when it's been used and probably sharpened, is disingenuous. It could even have been damaged/repaired in the last 7 years, nobody knows cos we don't have accurate photos.
Yes, you are protected with G&S but seller neither says its new or used and my question was to clarify the condition. Seller could say to PP if the buyer complains, well I didn't say these were actual pics of the knife I sold when I sold it. Yes, it's an expensive knife which so even more reason to be completely upfront and transparent.
I don't think it's not warranted to ask for more pics and infos but Why jump the gun so fast? Give the seller some time. It's not gonna instantly sell. As a potential buyer I would ask for additional info and pics too.

All of this shows more of an illiteracy of BST to me

Last edited:
I don't think it's not warranted to ask for more pics and infos but Why jump the gun so fast? Give the seller some time. It's not gonna instantly sell. As a potential buyer I would ask for additional info and pics too.
Sorry I disagree. Be upfront. The seller is presenting the knife as BNIB state. As you know he listed it on another forum 3 weeks before the KKF listing. Plenty of time to present and describe it factually.

Back