• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Red Flags on BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, how much do you "float" to support your hobby, if anything, or is it knife dependent?
Haven’t thought it about it too much but it’s probably $20-$50 loss per knife if I sell it but it varies. I’m usually good for trying a new knife every month or so but will occasionally do more if I find a good deal or something I’ve been looking for.

This doesn’t include stones or sharpening equipment though, that’s a whole other bag 😬

yeah, it was. someone PMd them asking an obviously wrong question but Thom went along with it. also the thread posting itself read like it was AI generated.
The "Thom" user (unsure if it was the same person from 2015 or a hacked account) copied everything directly from Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2564226013...X2SYYH&hash=item3bb3fa625a:g:dUkAAOSwceNl2OQh

That said I agree that it seemed AI generated - that was my exact feeling on reading the original text. I guess the eBay user is using AI (or just has a very similar writing style).

How on earth do you guys spot this 😅
Having other hobbies with active secondary markets that deal with similar issues def made it stick out.

The account was old, didn't have any posts for a few years, then suddenly wants to sell stuff that would be in pretty high demand were it from any reputable user. Couple that with someone finding the eBay posting and the weird language used in the post and it was pretty sus from the get go. Failing the bogus DM question was just the cherry on top.

Having other hobbies with active secondary markets that deal with similar issues def made it stick out.

The account was old, didn't have any posts for a few years, then suddenly wants to sell stuff that would be in pretty high demand were it from any reputable user. Couple that with someone finding the eBay posting and the weird language used in the post and it was pretty sus from the get go. Failing the bogus DM question was just the cherry on top.
I definitely need you guys to protect me from these people. I’m way too gullible

Also, the eBay link was posted in the thread by a KKF user, and the KKF seller/banned user (username Thom) said in response that they had posted the knife both on eBay and on KKF. However, the eBay seller is from San Francisco and is apparently well known there, because another KKF user (also from San Francisco) posted that they know the eBay seller and the KKF seller (Thom) is not the same person. Thus it was revealed that the KKF seller (Thom) had stolen the eBay user's pictures. I went to bed at that point and woke up to no thread and no profile for Thom.

Can someone explain what is going on with users who frequently post knives on BST with captions like "used once" or "BNIB" and sell for below retail?

What's going on? Are they really buying a new knife every week, then selling it without using it, or using it just once for "a few test cuts"? Or are they buying from sales (or used from another site) then lying about what they paid and/or the knife's history when they sell it on BST? For example you'll see users who say "BNIB" or "test cuts only" and say "Paid $300, selling for $250, shipping included", but they post knives like that once a week.

What's the deal?
Hi, this is me. I like to try out a bunch of different knives. Some hit, most do not. It's all for fun. I expect to get around 80-85% of the retail price back even if I've only used it a couple times. I think of it as the price for renting the knife for a bit.

I loved the bogus DM "bait" question. "Does the knife come with the signed kiri box?" And the scammer fell for it 🤣

I loved the bogus DM "bait" question. "Does the knife come with the signed kiri box?" And the scammer fell for it 🤣

SIGNED KIRI BOX 🤣🤣🤣

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Some light relief for people, but also goes to emphasize Dave's second point.

Someone got in touch with me after posting a WTB on Badger & Blade a coupla years ago, and they caught me on a slow day, when feeling a little bored. So I decided to have some fun...

IMG_3737.jpg
IMG_3738.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg
IMG_3740.jpg
IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3748.jpg
IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg

And then I never heard anything more from him after that. Just when we were starting to build a rapport.

Bloody scammers!

Some light relief for people, but also goes to emphasize Dave's second point.

Someone got in touch with me after posting a WTB on Badger & Blade a coupla years ago, and they caught me on a slow day, when feeling a little bored. So I decided to have some fun...

View attachment 307281
View attachment 307282
View attachment 307279
View attachment 307280
View attachment 307275
View attachment 307274
View attachment 307273
View attachment 307277
View attachment 307276
View attachment 307278

And then I never heard anything more from him after that. Just when we were starting to build a rapport.

Bloody scammers!
2 questions

What was this guy trying to poison instead of the cat?

The traditional hardness scale is out of 25?

2 questions

What was this guy trying to poison instead of the cat?

The traditional hardness scale is out of 25?

Those were both silly, irreverent jokes!

(Made by me. To waste “Jamie Kezman’s” time, in a way I found amusing).

Those were both silly, irreverent jokes!

(Made by me. To waste “Jamie Kezman’s” time, in a way I found amusing).
Sorry I’m a little slow. I didn’t read the initial part where you said you were the guy sending the nonsense inquiry 😅

Bloody scammers!
I don't get what the scam would be. It's not a super expensive item. He offered to pay via Transferwise/now Wise, so it would get deducted from his bank account or Wise account and he would have a hard time getting it back.
The Dan Schulman stuff is in jest, I have read it before.

I don't get what the scam would be. It's not a super expensive item. He offered to pay via Transferwise/now Wise, so it would get deducted from his bank account or Wise account and he would have a hard time getting it back.
The Dan Schulman stuff is in jest, I have read it before.

Sorry - I must not have explained this particularly well...

If you look at those email exchanges; the Wise and random stuff about Dan Schulman is from me (Oli). If you've read it before it would only be the same email chain when I posted it on B&B. There was a new member there who sent messages to everyone who had posted a 'WTB', saying they knew someone who had 'X' for sale and to send them an email.

Now I knew this was a scam before I sent the first email, because another member had flagged it to me. Nevertheless I was bored that day, and to amuse myself I decided to waste the scammer's time by making up a silly story about the 25 point hardness scale, and having a boat and a holiday house in Samoa, and poisoning the CEO of PayPal's cat (by MISTAKE!).

Clearly though I was very convincing, having fooled not only the scammer, but also a number of people here it seems! Perhaps I should take up scamming... ;)

(p.s. I realise my sense of 'humour' is somewhat... errr... esoteric at the best of times, and that you may well be reading it in a second language).

Last edited:
Now it makes more sense, hahhha. Didn't look at the name, stupid me😅
Thought was the other way round and really confused😁

... There was a new member there who sent messages to everyone who had posted a 'WTB', saying they knew someone who had 'X' for sale and to send them an email ...
Red Alert mark #1.

And watch out images with "hand writted notes" as prove. Those scammers got great in photoshop. Always demand a video, or a special shot. And always take time to search for same images. If you find them then the seller is most probably a scammer.

Never get in a hurry and never give your address data without any proven deal.

By the way, scammers even allow paypal G&S. I don't know if they are using stolen credit cards or they count on people not reclaiming they money.

However, always pay with credit or debit card even via WISE, as you do have a buy protection on those cards but NOT with normal bank transfers.

And watch out images with "hand writted notes" as prove. Those scammers got great in photoshop. Always demand a video, or a special shot. And always take time to search for same images. If you find them then the seller is most probably a scammer.

We're fast coming up on times when this entire paradigm for verification is gonna be worthless. It's already easy to AI render those sort of still photos, and with things like Sora it's gonna be easy to do video too. Really the only thing that's gonna be truly reliable is buying from someone you trust. 😔

[Edit] Plus using only PP G&S for transaction protection.

We're fast coming up on times when this entire paradigm for verification is gonna be worthless. It's already easy to AI render those sort of still photos, and with things like Sora it's gonna be easy to do video too. Really the only thing that's gonna be truly reliable is buying from someone you trust. 😔

Already useless.

…..for the buyer. Very little protection for the seller.

Back