Reground, Reprofiled Richmond Ultimatum in M390

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi tk, great work! i have a m390 guyto coming my way, but I doubt the grind will be perfect for my liking. How do you reprofile the grind? Stone or belt?

James

Finally had a chance to take it to the stones. No problems. Sharpened up nicely. Did note some very minor fine microchipping prior to hitting the stones. If it came with the kind of grind it has now, I would be very tempted to buy one.

I put it through its paces, not surprised by the microchipping. Never sharpened it. Held its edge reasonably well. Tinh put an excellent grind on this knife. Very similar to my Shig. If it weighed a good 70-80 grams more, and was 5-6mm taller, it'd be a great knife IMO. Never handled it without tinh's mods, but it screams crappy ITK ripoff to me(without the mods).

My Mario Makeover started as an Ultimatum. Night and day before and after. The steel seems pretty good. It sees a lot of use.

Hi tk, great work! i have a m390 guyto coming my way, but I doubt the grind will be perfect for my liking. How do you reprofile the grind? Stone or belt?

James
I did almost everything on a belt-grinder. I did use a stone periodically to evaluate the grind, keep track of any warping issues, and to get the edge profile smooth.

This passaround has concluded and I wanted to say thanks to the folks who handled the knife. It's in fantastic shape, all things considered.

Back