Knives & Stones request thread? (Tanaka)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever happened to those "thin grind" ginsankos? It was like a small batch appeared, I missed them, I got on the email list, and they're GONE. :(

There's only been that one initial batch so far. Since then James has gotten a couple of batches of the nashiji ginsanko Tanakas. They are not the same ones as the old nashiji ginsanko. The new ones have the same profile as the Migaki version which is very different from the old nashiji. The new nashiji versions are clearly much thinner behind the edge too, which looks very similar to my migaki. Since there's no way of knowing if/when the migaki will make it's return, why not try one of the new nashiji Tanakas with the new grind?

Just a thought. :)

Tanaka migaki ginsanko cleaver. Nice the thin maybe 1.8 mm at the spine, convex grind. 210-220 x 110-120 that would be baller nice kns treatment.

This would be too awesome to be true! Pleasanton make this happen!!

There's only been that one initial batch so far. Since then James has gotten a couple of batches of the nashiji ginsanko Tanakas. They are not the same ones as the old nashiji ginsanko. The new ones have the same profile as the Migaki version which is very different from the old nashiji. The new nashiji versions are clearly much thinner behind the edge too, which looks very similar to my migaki. Since there's no way of knowing if/when the migaki will make it's return, why not try one of the new nashiji Tanakas with the new grind?

Just a thought. :)

Well, because what I'm really trying to do is try a bunch of different profiles so that when my number comes up at Bloodroot I know what I want them to make me (which I really don't want to get wrong!). Which means I really ought to try a big tall gyuto like a Shiro Kamo and a K-tip. The thin grind just sounded so nice.

Well, because what I'm really trying to do is try a bunch of different profiles so that when my number comes up at Bloodroot I know what I want them to make me (which I really don't want to get wrong!). Which means I really ought to try a big tall gyuto like a Shiro Kamo and a K-tip. The thin grind just sounded so nice.

Gotcha.

...and yes they seriously are. My favourite knife so far.

Basically the migaki is the "new Nashiji" with the nashiji finish polished off if you get what I mean. When the two came out, I feel like the migaki could be a little bit thicker overall so I opt for the Nashiji for the rest of the knives. If you really want to try the thin grind migaki, I do have a blue 2 stainless sample pictured above which is basically the same as the ginsan migaki. For the purpose of trying out the geometry, that could work (samples usually get discounted by a big margin :p )

Back