Revised D-Shape Handle Design

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic and the taper seems like it would serve a practical purpose as well.

I sort of like how low of ambient light alters the look.

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

Beautiful Marko. I am really diggin the new shape. How are these constructed? They look too tapered at the tang to be mortise/tenon

Beautiful Marko. I am really diggin the new shape. How are these constructed? They look too tapered at the tang to be mortise/tenon

Thanks Mike
They have blind mortice and tenon joints. Mortice partially extends into tenon, allowing for tapered design.

M

Patiently waiting for you to wow your current clients, so that it'll be my turn to handle the finished merchandise! Want want want...

In day light.

I shortened a taper (proportionally) and blended edges for a more comfortable hold on a petty handle.

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

Those are nice, Marko. I haven't tried a Coke bottle handle on a full tang blade, btu I have done a number of them with hidden tangs. My advice, Start with with slightly larger handle in mind than what you want to finish with.:big grin: What I have found is that with that type of handle, you can feel if even the tiniest bit needs to be sanded down some more.

Marko - Are a lot of people going with the D handle vs the traditional wa?

No, but I am trying to change it, as I think in some ways,D style is a better handle.

D is a variation of an oval handle and an oval is derived from octagonal, so in that sense, all of them are traditional.

Japanese swords handles are oval or octagonal if you want to make a link between those and the present-day kitchen knives handles.

M

D is a variation of an oval handle and an oval is derived from octagonal, so in that sense, all of them are traditional.

Japanese swords handles are oval or octagonal if you want to make a link between those and the present-day kitchen knives handles.

M

Yeah - What he said:spin chair:

I was more curious about what percentage of people were going with wa vs. D. Seems like a lot of people favor the wa. I'm still trying to figure out if I like the D before I have the new toy regripped. I've been on the road for two weeks and haven't had any time to play with it yet though.

Yeah - What he said:spin chair:

I was more curious about what percentage of people were going with wa vs. D. Seems like a lot of people favor the wa. I'm still trying to figure out if I like the D before I have the new toy regripped. I've been on the road for two weeks and haven't had any time to play with it yet though.

My current knives are western handled. Recently was sent some wa handles to test drive. My custom will be wa.

Both octagonal and D style are wa hanldes.

@DeepCSweede -
I think you mean octagonal when you say wa, or that is what I have been interpreting as.

M

@DeepCSweede -
I think you mean octagonal when you say wa, or that is what I have been interpreting as.

M

Yes Marko, you are correct - I was referring to the octagonal shape as wa - my bad on the confusion. See - even when I'm wrong most people know what I am talking about - Sorry for the confusion Rick :spankarse:

Eric

My current knives are western handled. Recently was sent some wa handles to test drive. My custom will be wa.

I am leaning toward the Octagonal vs. D, but like I said, I need to spend a little time with it to make that determination.

Marko - Both your Octagonal and D handles look fantastic - I wish you were still doing custom handles.

Really lovely work Marko. :doublethumbsup:

Yes Marko, you are correct - I was referring to the octagonal shape as wa - my bad on the confusion. See - even when I'm wrong most people know what I am talking about - Sorry for the confusion Rick :spankarse:

Eric

That's OK, I'm confused more often than not.

One advantage of octagonal is that it it neither right- not left-handed.

For me look of a knife is just as important as performance, though I am probably in minority.

M

Yes, that's the key. It can look drop dead gorgeous, but when it comes to function, it has to pass that test too, especially for the ones who have used a lot of different knives and know what they want. I think it is also expectations which correlates to price paid for the knife.

@DeepCSweede -

M

Yes, I was referring to octagon as well. Like the nunchucks I had as a teenager. Very comfortable. Sorry for not having more knowledge on this. Really like your work.

Having tried/used M's modified D, I prefer it on a gyuto. However, as for classic sleek lines, the octagonal is where it is at, especially on a yanagiba or traditional single beveled Japanese knife.

Back