sad news

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe it. The guy was an icon on the forums and he was so young. I feel bad for the wife and kids.

the article states that he had a female passenger who hasnt yet been identified. was she his wife? is she okay? it says she was admitted to the hospital. i was also a little surprised he was only 33 years old. he spoke about knives with such authority i figured maybe he was in his 40s...again, kcma will be missed.
RIP

This is very sad. I never got a chance to meet KC but he sounded like a real stand up guy.
When I first got back from Texas I went to JKI to catch up with Jon and Sara. The topic of local forum members came up and Jon mentioned that I'd have to meet KCMA soon. I'm sad the opportunity didn't come around. My deepest condolences to his family and all those who knew KC

yeah... that was his wife... i just talked to her... she's in the hospital, but doing ok for now (ok is maybe too nice of a word for how she is, but i dont want to share too much personal info)

What a terribly sad situation. I always enjoyed reading his posts on the other forum. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

My Condolences to his family and friends
rest in peace Kai-Chun Ma .

Very very sad. I know nothing of the guy, but my heart goes out to his family-especially the wife and kids.

Damn motorcycles! I wrecked mine a long time ago(my own stupidity)
My dad got T-boned on his Guzzi a long time ago and spent forever in the hospital with broken vertebrae and compound fractured leg, punctured lung, etc. etc. etc. (not his fault, some idiot that ran a stop sign)
They are so awesome, if you've never driven/rode one, you wouldn't understand. But ever so dangerous at the same time.

I'm sure riding was something he loved, and I honestly can say I would be happy to go out doing what I love.
I hope the wife is going to be okay.
Jon, let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Very very sad. I know nothing of the guy, but my heart goes out to his family-especially the wife and kids.

Damn motorcycles! I wrecked mine a long time ago(my own stupidity)
My dad got T-boned on his Guzzi a long time ago and spent forever in the hospital with broken vertebrae and compound fractured leg, punctured lung, etc. etc. etc. (not his fault, some idiot that ran a stop sign)
They are so awesome, if you've never driven/rode one, you wouldn't understand. But ever so dangerous at the same time.

I'm sure riding was something he loved, and I honestly can say I would be happy to go out doing what I love.
I hope the wife is going to be okay.
Jon, let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

i wish there was, but at this time i cant think of anything

Wow, he sounds like a wonderful person, and so young too.

My condolences to his family - that's so tough....

Always read his posts, knew it would be informative, humorous or both!
Such a shame.

as soon as you posted the article and read there was a women my heart sunk even more.

atleast both parents werent lost but geez.

RIP........To a brother Biker....Cage Free is a lifestyle of love......RIP

I can't believe it, but must.

Rest in peace KC.

Stu.

Am I the only one going back and reading some of his great, entertaining commentary? Man, this is brutal....

Am I the only one going back and reading some of his great, entertaining commentary? Man, this is brutal....

When I was about to meet KC in person for the first time, I thought that he would be the outspoken, sarcastic person I read on the forums. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I would say, it took about 10 minutes for him to open up over a bowl of ramen and a beer that I bought for him, of which he only drank about 1/4th of because, according to him, alcohol just makes him fall asleep. He was a coffee guy, not an alcohol guy. We ended up talking very little about knives - mostly about ramen, the ramen we were eating (Tsujita), other restaurants, his restaurant, his (then) relatively new motorcycle, and, of course, his then fiance, Ivy. He couldn't stop talking about Ivy.

I would say, only after a few more meals did a hint of his online persona come out in real life. But, he was generally, really easy going, generous, and a really funny person.

KC also had unbelievable amount of knowledge of Chinese restaurants in the LA area. Because of him, I'm now obsessed with Chinese dumplings - primarily pan fried or steamed; KC detested the thought of boiled dumplings and I agree completely. Dude loved to eat and he ate a LOT.

I always looked forward to trying a new Chinese restaurant with him. For the two of us, we would usually have at least 3 to 4 huge dishes of food; if we had dumplings, there would be at least 4 to 5 plates of dumplings alone. And he was one guy you could almost always count on to go eat out with.

I went to one place he introduced me to this past Saturday and I thought to myself, "I need to call KC to see if he wants to grab lunch" since it had been a few weeks since we last had lunch. I also found one place that makes awesome xiao long bao (soup dumplings) and their pan fried dumplings are like soup dumplings in that they have TONS of juice in them. I wanted to share this place with him to see if he had been there, and to get his opinion. I was going to call him yesterday to see if he wanted to meet up for lunch again.

If I had one more meal with that dude, instead of him out-eating me and calling me a "p*ssy" for eating so little (compared to him) and laughing at me like most times, I would have forced myself to eat more than him, so, just once, I could call him a "p*ssy." And, as usual, we'd just end up laughing at each other.

Rest in peace, KC. You are missed.

Mike-
That sounds like the KC we know as well. Anytime I talk about getting a small toy poodle or going shopping, I will think of KC. You know why? It's because he was always encouraging me to do something that Jon desperately tried to avoid. If I wanted to have some cheer and support, KC was always there :)

It really breaks my heart. I'm at the point where I don't want to hear how the accident happened and what really happened to him. Someday I have to hear it again so I'm really facing his decease, but for the time being, I guess I'm just not ready. It was such a relief that Ivy is alive and getting treated at a hospital. I do think she is one of the important legacies KC left for us. As an immigrant myself, I'm hoping to be a help for her any way I can.

Mike, thank you so much for checking in on Jon yesterday. It's been very rough and sad time for both of us. We see KC and memories with him in our store, in restaurants, on FB, on Forum, and millions of other places. KC is a pain in my butt even after he is gone - maybe this is the way for him to say "hi" to us.

It's funny that I realized more how kind and thoughtful he was after he is gone. wish I thought more about it when he was here with us.

It's funny that I realized more how kind and thoughtful he was after he is gone. wish I thought more about it when he was here with us.

a good friend of mine recently died in a car accident. i went through the same thing.

WHOAA!!! I'm floored! What a terrible loss.

I never met KC, but he was one of the first people I really started paying attention to when I came into the J-knife world. I learned so much from him, and had some great off-line chats as well.

He will be dearly missed. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Brother KC MA. :-(

I met kc once and he was a very cool guy....extremely knowledgable on my subjects.....he will be missed for sure.....Ryan

Sara -

Thank you and Jon for the updates and taking time to talk with me. I really appreciated it.

I was very happy to hear that Ivy survived. I had lunch with KC and Ivy twice. They were really, really happy together. I was really concerned about her after I read about KC because she and KC were inseparable.

Please know that I'll be happy to help Ivy in any way that I can.

Back