Knives & Stones Sakai Jikko Akebono Blue 2 by Kenichi Shiraki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The profile looks great, is the blade much thinner than gengetsu, from the picture it doesn't look that way, but hard to tell.

On mine, the machi notch is pretty much totally set into the handle. Balance point (blonde ferrule w/nickle spacer) is maybe a 0.5-1cm forward of the heel, close to where that lone kanji character is on the right blade face. Profile is really enjoyable in use

This knife is again and again grabbing my attention. Nice profile, nice grind, very good finish, mid-weight, happy users. Hmmm ...

While this is a bespoke profile and grind to James' standards, he is obviously quite tapped into our feedback and responses on what works with his knives. Add into the mix that it is Shiraki san doing the forging and an esteemed sharpener finishing it, we have a very compelling offering. I am also getting really itchy on the trigger finger

Just thought I'd share my humble thoughts on this knife for anyone who is thinking about buying it. I had been using Jikko White#2 for a few months before and loved it. When James released them on his store I was going to buy another one but a day later he released a Blue#2 forged by Shiraki with a very similar grind but a more ideal length, I jumped on it without hesitation.

When I first held it I was not instantly in love. It had a little more flex than the White#2 and the heel height kinda threw me off. As soon as I started using, it was a whole different story. This is the 2nd best performing san-mai gyuto I have ever used as an all rounder. Super thin behind the edge, works best with a very minimal edge and the steel will hold it very well. The profile of this knife is unbeatable. The tip will do exactly what you want it to do. Sharpened it on various stones, the heat treatment is amazing. Reactivity of the cladding is very mild, nothing compared to say, Shigefusa's crazy cladding. The one and only downside of this knife for me is that there is a very slight amount of flex. But you probably won't really feel it unless you try to. So yeah, if you're considering buying this, buy it.

Dik6rHd.jpg

IrYSWQk.jpg

Just thought I'd share my humble thoughts on this knife for anyone who is thinking about buying it. I had been using Jikko White#2 for a few months before and loved it. When James released them on his store I was going to buy another one but a day later he released a Blue#2 forged by Shiraki with a very similar grind but a more ideal length, I jumped on it without hesitation.

When I first held it I was not instantly in love. It had a little more flex than the White#2 and the heel height kinda threw me off. As soon as I started using, it was a whole different story. This is the 2nd best performing san-mai gyuto I have ever used as an all rounder. Super thin behind the edge, works best with a very minimal edge and the steel will hold it very well. The profile of this knife is unbeatable. The tip will do exactly what you want it to do. Sharpened it on various stones, the heat treatment is amazing. Reactivity of the cladding is very mild, nothing compared to say, Shigefusa's crazy cladding. The one and only downside of this knife for me is that there is a very slight amount of flex. But you probably won't really feel it unless you try to. So yeah, if you're considering buying this, buy it.

Dik6rHd.jpg

IrYSWQk.jpg

Out of interest, what is the best San mai gyuto you've used if this is your 2nd best

I want the wh2 version also...do you feel like it's redundant to own both?

The white 2 I have isn't from K&S but I believe they are the same. It's very slightly thicker at the spine and also stiffer, making it a great chopper. And there's no denying the silky feel of white. Visually the difference in length isn't much, but in use the extra few mm of the Blue#2 feel quite significant. I also prefer the profile of the Blue#2, flatter and pointier tip. While they do feel a little different to use I would say yeah, it's kinda redundant to have both.

Out of interest, what is the best San mai gyuto you've used if this is your 2nd best

That would be Ichimonji's Kirameki 270 Blue#1. It's the one of the left from a pic I posted a few days ago http://imgur.com/a/RPK2Z

I am in love with mine too! Surprisingly it is not as reactive as I would expect, often rinsing with water while prepping dinner at home and it has an almost indistinguishable patina.
The profile is amazing !!!! Excellent all around knife, with adequate flat spot, shallow belly and pointy tip for detailed work and precise draw cuts.

The tiniest of "complain" is the slightly protruding nickel spacer over the side of the wood, not over the blond horn. Could be easily gone when/if the wood moves a bit, so no real worries about it!

I nearly pulled the trigger, but somehow other knife related expenses were 'faster'. Still - as of now it is my main candidate for a gyuto. I suppose it is only a question of time. The knife ticks all the boxes.

Me too. Was tempted by the discount James offered while he was in Japan. I stayed strong, very proud of myself:lol2: Maybe after I sell a few knives I don't use I can revisit this one.....

If no one has already commented on the steel then I will. It's fantastic-not too hard, very easy to sharpen good edge retention. I could confuse it with white 2 on the stones pretty easily. Infact, it sharpens about as quickly as the wh2 knives I have.

I think I will get one as soon as I recover from some ... unnecessary, but utterly pleasant expenses :D

If no one has already commented on the steel then I will. It's fantastic-not too hard, very easy to sharpen good edge retention. I could confuse it with white 2 on the stones pretty easily. Infact, it sharpens about as quickly as the wh2 knives I have.

You can't make me... I refuse....:knife:

Knife arrived with a great edge! I stroped with a couple of light passes on a balsa strop loaded with 1.0 micron paste and it has been extra sharp for 2 weeks now.
I have prepared probably 25-30 meals for 2 so far with no sign of edge deterioration. I am using a cherry end grain cutting board.

Looking forward to put on the stones when the time comes, but it seems that it will take a good while before that happens

James, just curious if saya is still free and included in price or if it must be purchased in addition to the knife.
Thanks.

Currently the teak saya is included in the package. Bubinga is 20 extra.

James

James, when can we have more of these, and possibly in 270?

Waiting for more 240 to come, the production rate is too low :(

Waiting for more 240 to come, the production rate is too low :(

Any guess on time frame? I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I really want one if these.

It's my understanding that shiraki SAN has retired, have heard his shop is still open but using apprentice smiths.

So, it is no more forged by the man himself and thus we have less one honyaki maker in Sakai...

Well, it appears I just purchased the last Akebono in stock. The 240 k-tip. Looking forward to trying it out. I have a feeling there is going to be a run on Shiraki blades.

I'm sure they're thousands of his raw forgings floating around, so I'm sure they'll be available for quite some time going forward.

@Chicagohawkie Would you happen to have a source on Shiraki-san's retirement? Not doubting you just wondering if there's a story behind it, since there are plenty of smiths who work into their 70's and 80's (Toyama, Ikeda, Doi). He doesn't look that old...

@Chicagohawkie Would you happen to have a source on Shiraki-san's retirement? Not doubting you just wondering if there's a story behind it, since there are plenty of smiths who work into their 70's and 80's (Toyama, Ikeda, Doi). He doesn't look that old...

I asked about a kono blue 2 Honyaki and was told that they are discontinued due to the smiths retirement. When asked if it was Shiraki I was told yes. This comes from one of the bigger knife retailers in the world. You never know how absolute retirement is though, so perhaps it's just time off. All I know is that there will be no more kono blue 2 Honyakis in the forseeable future. I was shocked to hear this as well as I thought he was younger.

Back