salting your food before you taste it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There's an entire island in Japan where the population has, over time, acquired a tolerance for, and a preference for, salt levels that American physicians would consider borderline suicidal. "

Hey, far too little salt could actually kill you (won't happen if you ever eat processed food though)....

After a bit of training, when I know it's perfectly right I will say: sorry my friend, you don't need any salt shaker for this dish.

That's a level of arrogance I haven't seen since the last time I saw Donald Trump.

That's a level of arrogance I haven't seen since the last time I saw Donald Trump.

here in France we always talk about what we are eating at the moment, mostly about products but also about seasoning.
Sometimes I say Sorry but this time, it lacks a bit of salt, tastes complicated because too much pepeer or the chicken breast is not medium-well done any more. Same for desserts, too sweet, too much gelatine etc..

As professional cook I used to learn what is the correct seasonning. Not from one people but from many through the years. Some of them coming from the 10 best restaurants of the country. It appeared some people can strike the perfect seasoning almost every times, doing very interressant tastes with only little material. It could be the case of the colleague preparing the meals for the personal this time. I can't do it that exactly but I can recognize it now and stay in the "grey tight zone" in seasoning.
Seasoning a soup for exemple is adding as much salt as I would think " Now it is comfortable, interessant but a pinch more and it would be too much". But we are talking about a pinch for one or two liters soup so I know that within this "seasoning zone" a salt shaker doesn't work for 20 cl and makes you directly come out the "seasoning zone". I can bet many professonal chefs would understand that.

As professional cook I used to learn what is the correct seasonning. Not from one people but from many through the years. Some of them coming from the 10 best restaurants of the country. It appeared some people can strike the perfect seasoning almost every times, doing very interressant tastes with only little material. It could be the case of the colleague preparing the meals for the personal this time. I can't do it that exactly but I can recognize it now and stay in the "grey tight zone" in seasoning.
Seasoning a soup for exemple is adding as much salt as I would think " Now it is comfortable, interessant but a pinch more and it would be too much". But we are talking about a pinch for one or two liters soup so I know that within this "seasoning zone" a salt shaker doesn't work for 20 cl and makes you directly come out the "seasoning zone". I can bet many professonal chefs would understand that.

Your reasoning assumes that people enjoy their food 'properly seasoned'. Unfortunately, this means that your perfect seasoning could leave some in want of more salt and others believing you may have overdone it a bit...I do agree that there tends to be a 'zone' that is best but again, because you feel it is seasoned correctly doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will agree.

My brother puts salt on everything (including pizza and ice cream) without tasting first...because of course the pizza doesn't have enough salt:)

Regardless of your preference for salt, seasoning before you taste just doesn't make sense. Look before you leap, test the milk temp before you feed, dip your toe before you jump in the bath.

It's an ideological battle between those that calculate and those that throw caution to the wind.

Back