Japanese Knives Scared of Sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
years of mistakes together with a good chef in japan and a lot of time with the sharpening professionals in sakai and knifemakers all across japan

.... wait! He learned sharpening from Japanese craftsmen, that's very true. But where's the recognition for my translation?

Through listening to craftsmen and Jon, I have a good sense of what I'm supposed to do, and now I really need to do it and get muscle memory as well. Part of the reason why I think it might be challenging is that I "know" what I'm supposed to do, but it doesn't mean I can physically recreate that "right" image for sharpening.

I couldn't make time today, so my sharpening will probably take a place on Friday...

nervous.

YOU try telling your wife how to sharpen and let me know how it goes ;)
I must admit, the one moment I felt fear at WCG was when Jon announced that we should all give Sara sharpening advice.

I must admit, the one moment I felt fear at WCG was when Jon announced that we should all give Sara sharpening advice.

Oh, I missed that! Good thing too because that question to me would have probably been met with silence since you were there - I would have just deferred to you. :thumbsup:

Haha. Yeah, I didn't want any part of that one. Jon can take his own lumps, thank you very much. :)

... it's happening today, I think. My nails are relatively short and I don't have ridiculous sized rings on me today. Off to a good start.

Wish me luck :aikido:

Next step is to put them in a box with a fake return address and mail them to Jon to have him do them :) Don't worry, we won't tell!! :razz:

... it's happening today, I think. My nails are relatively short and I don't have ridiculous sized rings on me today. Off to a good start.

Wish me luck :aikido:

Good luck! Before and after pics would be really cool...

Next step is to put them in a box with a fake return address and mail them to Jon to have him do them :) Don't worry, we won't tell!! :razz:

very impressed with your idea... This is going to be my safety net.

Yeah, use the wheel and then make Jon clean up afterwords!!:idea2:

I think it's a great idea to have Sara sharpen. First, then JKI will be able to say things like, 'Would you like yours finished by Jon or our resident Japanese sharpener from Yamagata-ken?' Over time people will probably also assume Jon learnt from Sara. ... It will also keep Sara busy, instead of hiding between the display cases. :thumbsup:

years of mistakes together with a good chef in japan and a lot of time with the sharpening professionals in sakai and knifemakers all across japan

That's it!?? :scratchhead: ... Just kidding. Yup, I'd say that that should just about do it!

I think it's a great idea to have Sara sharpen. First, then JKI will be able to say things like, 'Would you like yours finished by Jon or our resident Japanese sharpener from Yamagata-ken?' Over time people will probably also assume Jon learnt from Sara. ... It will also keep Sara busy, instead of hiding between the display cases. :thumbsup:

That's it!?? :scratchhead: ... Just kidding. Yup, I'd say that that should just about do it!

this is the award winning idea... I have a feeling that Jon will be soon spending more time on a beach and cry in the corner...

Hmm... Well, my suggestion is that we turn Jon into a 窓際族. I believe you have a nice glass shop front, don't you? He can observe the passersby.

... soon enough he will be jealous with my sharpening skills.

.... okay, I'm done with one side of a knife. Now ready to go back to sharpening and finishing it!

Back