Sealing synthetic stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybig

Reaction score
Hi there,

i just sealed a couple Jnats with simple spray on clear lacquer and i really like how easy they are to clean and dry after being sealed.

So i am wondering whether my synthetic stones would benefit from sealing as well. Primary for faster cleaning and drying but with softer stones if may also help with holding water. Is there any reason not to?

I thinking about King 800 and JNS 1000 to start with.

Do any of you sealed synthetic stones and in particular which ones? If yes, how did it work out?

Thanks for you thoughts!

I think Maksim recommends sealing all stones.

I sealed my Choseras and Junpaku. It may be particularly helpful with S&G (particularly magnesium type) stones

Sealing the stones will have a few effects and one needs to consider all of them:
- yes, the stones will be a bit easier to clean, but I would not see that as such a big deal
- the stones will take a bit longer to soak (is not perma-soaked) and considerably longer to dry (again, if not permasoaked) - in particular if the stone is a soaking stone.
- stones that tend to be 'thirsty' will stop being thirsty, because the water can not flow through them anymore. This made huge difference on my Bester 220 (which I permasoak) - which so far is the only synthetic stone I have lacquered.

I sealed my XL synthetic aoto and mounted it on a granite plate too!

On stones known to break I can't see the harm.

Sealing the stones will have a few effects and one needs to consider all of them:
- yes, the stones will be a bit easier to clean, but I would not see that as such a big deal
- the stones will take a bit longer to soak (is not perma-soaked) and considerably longer to dry (again, if not permasoaked) - in particular if the stone is a soaking stone.
- stones that tend to be 'thirsty' will stop being thirsty, because the water can not flow through them anymore. This made huge difference on my Bester 220 (which I permasoak) - which so far is the only synthetic stone I have lacquered.

That's something to consider.

Thanks a lot for all the answers!

So far my conclusion ist to only lacquer splash & go stones and soakers when permasoaked.

About permasoaking, does 24/7 soaking work with any lacquer? I usually use acryl based lacquer.

Back