sg2 core, damascus san mai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love R2/Sg2. Absolutely screaming sharp for just about ever. My Tanaka's are my longest lasting edges in my kit. Until I get my Marko or my Martell I have nothing that can even compare.

I have to say that R2 is quit a bit different to hone but once it has an edge on it I agree with Theory.

Awesome looking Knife Bill, nice work.

Shun S2's wouldn't be heat treated or made by Bill So I don't think there would be any issues similar to any night Shun makes. Don't think there could be any comparison at all Bill vs Shun LMFAO

First let say thank you all for the kind compliments on this knife. I have received several emails and Pm's about this knife and have to tell you all that I was able to procure this steel through the help and services of Dan at EE during his last trip to Japan and his connections there. He/we where able to get a small amount and may be able to get more. Since Daniel got the steel for me I agreed to sell these first knives made from this steel to him. All of you who inquired about this knife should contact him as they will be for sale on the EE website. Thanks all

PS there will be two of these knives the first a 225mm gyoto and the 255mm pictured.

Last edited:
Thanks alot everyone for the kind words. So far this steel is working out very good. nice to forge and very good performance. I am getting some more of this and checking to see if I can get a steady supply of it.

Gorgeous knife, Bill! Love it!!!

Just curious – are they up on EE website yet? I can’t seem to find your page there.

BTW, FWIW, my opinion of SG2 is changing. The only experience I have with it is in a Blazen 270 gyuto I got from EE. It’s a beautiful knife, and one of my favorites. However, I’m finding that the edge retention is not so good. I don’t’ really use the knife much, the GF uses it mainly. And she hardly uses it. She cuts turkey for the dog from whole roasted breast, she slicing a few veggies for her salads. Her knife skills are minimal, and she doesn’t do any chopping, rock, etc. Only hammer grip rock-slicing. Maybe 6-7 times per week, only maybe 15-20 cuts at a time.

That knife will not stay sharp. It’s harder for me to sharpen it than the other knives I have, and I can’t get it quite as sharp as white #2, AS or Yusuke’s SS. But I can get it quite sharp. And it doesn’t’ take long before it looses that sharpness and settles into a fairly dull edge very quickly. It won’t shave, won’t push cut paper.

Just sharing my experiences. I really want to like SG2, but in my experiences it’s not living up to my expectations. I hope you have better luck with it, as I’m sure you will. All the Best!!!

Gorgeous knife, Bill! Love it!!!

Just curious – are they up on EE website yet? I can’t seem to find your page there.

BTW, FWIW, my opinion of SG2 is changing. The only experience I have with it is in a Blazen 270 gyuto I got from EE. It’s a beautiful knife, and one of my favorites. However, I’m finding that the edge retention is not so good. I don’t’ really use the knife much, the GF uses it mainly. And she hardly uses it. She cuts turkey for the dog from whole roasted breast, she slicing a few veggies for her salads. Her knife skills are minimal, and she doesn’t do any chopping, rock, etc. Only hammer grip rock-slicing. Maybe 6-7 times per week, only maybe 15-20 cuts at a time.

That knife will not stay sharp. It’s harder for me to sharpen it than the other knives I have, and I can’t get it quite as sharp as white #2, AS or Yusuke’s SS. But I can get it quite sharp. And it doesn’t’ take long before it looses that sharpness and settles into a fairly dull edge very quickly. It won’t shave, won’t push cut paper.

Just sharing my experiences. I really want to like SG2, but in my experiences it’s not living up to my expectations. I hope you have better luck with it, as I’m sure you will. All the Best!!!

M, these are not up on the EE site as yet. I will be a little bit surprised if they are not sold before they get posted. I plan on having a few of these at blade show the end of the month if anyone is going to be there.

Sorry to here of your problems with the blazen knife. I was able to get the heat treat info from the manufacture and then put my own pratices to work on it. This knife is extreamly easy to sharpen even at the high hardness that it is. I haven't tested it with a very fine polished edge on it just the course edge from an india stone. I have a few more that I'll do some more testing with and report here.

When and where is the blade show?

Hey apprentice, I was down in your neck of the wood a couple of weeks ago. had a whole day with nothing to do.

Blade show is the largest knife show in the world. It is held in Atlanta Georgia, this year it is the 31st of May through June 2.

Nice avatar by the way

You were?! Well lets not let that happen again. Next time you're down in this neck of the woods let me know! Next week I'll be heading up to Salmon for a memorial day campout. Too bad the knife show isn't closer I would love to attend. Thanks for the kind words on my avatar. It's my favorite knife. To be honest it might need a little TLC... how would you recommend cleaning or polishing it? I don't want to damage it but I want those temper lines to show up again.

Nice where ya going campin? some good friends of mine always have a memorial day camp out up past gibtown. Looks like I'll be back in your neck of the woods 7-20. if you send your knife to me after blade show I'll clean it and re-etch it for you.

Nice where ya going campin? some good friends of mine always have a memorial day camp out up past gibtown. Looks like I'll be back in your neck of the woods 7-20. if you send your knife to me after blade show I'll clean it and re-etch it for you.

Apprentice, great thing about living along the Wasatch Front, equidistant between Bill Burke and Devin Thomas. Even very close to a bunch of non kitchen knife guys like Steve Johnson.

Yah, that's me. This is Andrew. I'll be there in Lick Creek. Well, when you come down we should get together! I don't want to bother you with cleaning my knife for me, haha. The knife is amazing. I love it.

Apprentice, great thing about living along the Wasatch Front, equidistant between Bill Burke and Devin Thomas. Even very close to a bunch of non kitchen knife guys like Steve Johnson.

Hi kalaeb. I'm pretty new to the scene. I am familiar with Bill because I grew up watching him build knives. I will have to look Devin and Steve up.

Yah, that's me. This is Andrew. I'll be there in Lick Creek. Well, when you come down we should get together! I don't want to bother you with cleaning my knife for me, haha. The knife is amazing. I love it.

Hey Andrew. So your all grown up and have a family Now I guess. Say hi to everyone for me. Is your uncle Bob going to be there?

Hey Andrew. So your all grown up and have a family Now I guess. Say hi to everyone for me. Is your uncle Bob going to be there?

Well, I got married back in August. That's pretty exciting! Robert just finished dental school and yah, he should be there. I will tell everyone hi for you for sure. How are things in Boise with you and your fam?

Well, I got married back in August. That's pretty exciting! Robert just finished dental school and yah, he should be there. I will tell everyone hi for you for sure. How are things in Boise with you and your fam?

I knew he was finishing up this month some time but wasn't sure what day.

Everyone here is doing fine. Thanks for asking.

Back