Shapton Rockstar on carbon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtro

Reaction score
I'm essentially upgrading everything in my personal tool kit for work. I have a new Chinese cleaver on the way made from 52100 steel and I felt it needed a better stone than the cheap £10 one I got when I was 20.

I wanted the shapton pro 1000 but its out of stock everywhere. I ended up ordering the rockstar 1000 but have since read that its meant for very hard super steels. Does this mean I've bought the wrong stone?

I've also picked up an atoma 140 as a cheap flattening stone.

Not at all. I don't yet know the Rockstar, but by far most of my stones, as Shapton Glass HR or Naniwa Diamond could handle all kinds of modern super-steels, but are mostly used with the simplest carbons.

They are more than fine for simple stuff, they feels better than pro series to me but at end of the day are still aluminum oxide stones like others
https://shapton.co.jp/en/rs/
IMG_4445.jpeg

OK, good. I'm an over thinker, especially when its something I lack knowledge in.

I'm essentially upgrading everything in my personal tool kit for work. I have a new Chinese cleaver on the way made from 52100 steel and I felt it needed a better stone than the cheap £10 one I got when I was 20.

I wanted the shapton pro 1000 but its out of stock everywhere. I ended up ordering the rockstar 1000 but have since read that its meant for very hard super steels. Does this mean I've bought the wrong stone?

I've also picked up an atoma 140 as a cheap flattening stone.
You're upgrading from a cheap stone to a worthy stone from my favorite synthetics maker. This is an occasion for celebration, not doubt. The thing about super steels is a brag, a possible differentiator, and maybe not totally true, once the carbides get high enough. I'd never put Maxamet on my Shapton Glass stones, and even ZDP-189 was not optimal.

But for carbon steels and good stainless, you've got a great stone there, by all accounts. It took me a while to live up to my similar SG stone, when I first replaced my King stones with it.

Back