Shigefusa help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i haven't had a huge problem with oxidation on my Shigefusa. i put a semi-mirror polish on mine, though, which probably helped. i love the knife, especially now that i have it ground to my satisfaction. no idea how it cuts compared to the ITK. i choose it over my Konosuke and my Mizuno, both of which i have sharpened to the same keen-ness. it feels right, cutting. my only remaining stainless gyuto is my Hattori FH, and all of my carbon knives get sharper than that. no idea how AEB-L compares to well tempered VG10.

OK, so this thread took off since I last checked, hah. Thanks everyone for the advice so far, it's been real informative. I'm thinking of possibly going with a wa since they look amazing with Marko's handles, sig cheaper, and it has that Japanese look-if that makes any sense, more so then the western. Does anyone know if the kitaeji has a different reaction then the kasumi to foods. How does the damascus hold up to a patina-does it continue to show through? Also, any opinions on how these compare to Carter's? I'm asking since i know CKTG will be getting the carters in soon in white steel. Thanks again,

Shigefusa steel is better than White IME, better edge retention and gets just as sharp.

I find the ITK edge tends to roll over a bit faster when hitting the cutting board.
That's interesting. I found the same thing the first couple of times I sharpened. I was actually pretty disappointed in that respect. I really haven't had the same issue since (although it's been a while. i've been too busy testing other knives.).

Shigefusa steel is better than White IME, better edge retention and gets just as sharp.

In terms of edge retention, I'd have to agree. I can't really tell a difference in edge keeness, either.
With regard to VG10, I've tried several different flavors and it never really measures up in the keeness category with other good steels.

In terms of edge retention, I'd have to agree. I can't really tell a difference in edge keeness, either.
With regard to VG10, I've tried several different flavors and it never really measures up in the keeness category with other good steels.

Anybody wants to send their knife for a steel analysis so we can finally solve the mastery of 'spicy' steel Iwasaki so found of? :)

M

Anybody wants to send their knife for a steel analysis so we can finally solve the mastery of 'spicy' steel Iwasaki so found of? :)

M

I'd love to, if it doesn't cost too much. I'd rather give my $$ to knife makers/peddlers at this stage. So much to try out!! You have a place in mind?

I found the damascus more reactive than the material used in the kasumi cladding. The kitaeji would rust before I was finished using it. Actually turned orange in under 30 minutes.

Also, any opinions on how these compare to Carter's? I'm asking since i know CKTG will be getting the carters in soon in white steel. Thanks again,

I have owned 5 shigi's and the carter HG in superblue that I own out performs any of them.Edge retension is just a silly subject for a home cook like myself,it take me way to long to dull a knife:slaphead:

I have owned 5 shigi's and the carter HG in superblue that I own out performs any of them.Edge retension is just a silly subject for a home cook like myself,it take me way to long to dull a knife:slaphead:

I agree. However, a good performing knife is a like a good performing car. You might have to put us with 65 m/h limit, but you want to know that it can go 130m/p or faster.

For knives edge retention, you have to ask pros. Collin (Nilloc) is a good reference for testing performance knives.

I will be doing a test for Shigefusa some time later. It will be bases on Wayne Goddard rope cutting test to measure edge retain-ability and toughness of the blade. The blade will be sharpened to 3-5K and the rope will probably be .5".

M

It is also not fair to compare a shigi to a carter,that's an apple to oranges comparison.Like comparing Italian sports cars to german sport cars.

Just curious, what did the carter cost you?

The only thing that has me concerned at this point is the reactivity. A knife turning orange while your still using it is a little too much of a headache IMO....

The only thing that has me concerned at this point is the reactivity. A knife turning orange while your still using it is a little too much of a headache IMO....

I have not had this problem with mine, but if you are worried about ractivity then you need stainless or semistainless steel knives

Im going to do a blind test on several friends. Im not sure but I keep believe that a cucumber or tomato taste different when I use my Shigefusa Nakiri compared to a stainless knife .)

I love Shigefusa, but if anyone could get him to make a stainless knife I would be on that list :)

Heat treat is different for stainless steel, so eyeballing and charcoal furnace won't work. Also, Shigefusa only does clad knives. It has to do with their process and use of sen. Shaping with sen requires very soft cladding, though there are some very soft stainless steels.

In short, don't expect a stainless knife or even a semi stainless from Shigefusa any time soon. With their wait time measured in months, I don't think they have any need or incentive to dabble in other steels.

M

So they do have stainless clad options?

No.

I have a 180mm (172 mm cutting edge) kitaeji nakiri that has been passed around a couple times but came to me essentially new, according to a long time forum member. I have since thinned a bit behind the edge. The steel is awesome. The cladding is attractive but reactive to the point that it is a PITA to use (Just now I discovered hit has a rusty fingerprint from the last time I took it out a few days ago. The handle is unremarkable but nice. The spine and choil are perfect and show an exquisite taper. The spine going from 4.15mm over the heel to 1.31 right at the end. The choil going down to 0.6 mm 4 mm behind the edge. This is quite thin behind the edge. The problem is the following: the thickness 4mm behind the edge increases from 0.6 mm rapidly to 0.91 mm and stays there for more than half of the blade length. Around 2/5 of the way up the blade from the edge, the thickness is 2.12 mm on the choil tapering rapidly to 1.80 mm half way and 1.75 at the very end of the blade. Basically, what I'm saying is there is a sizeable lump near the end of the blade on the edge side of the half height mark. This and the thickness behind the edge anywhere other than the choil, makes it a below average performer in my kitchen in every respect except sharpness and edge retention.

In fact Shigefusa grind the high carbon side (the back side of traditional single bevel knives) with Sen before heat treatment. Link

About the steel they use.
They say official it is a "spicy" Swedish steel. It was selected as best steel available for cutlery about half century ago by Iwasaki san.
The "rumor" is that it has similar chemical composition as White paper 1.

The experience using only this steel for 5 decades makes it special.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Although, I feel that the craftsmanship and performance of the shig would be superb, I just don't think I can deal with the reactivity since it will be used fairly often. I'm a bit deflated at this realization, but I don't want to feel like using my other knives because of the clean up, smell, and so on. I want to thank everyone for their patience and help, especially the vendors i've been dealing with. Hopefully I'll find something great down the line that fits what i'm looking for. Thanks all,

once again, i've had no more reactivity issues than i've had with any other carbon knives. it has completely not been a big deal. it's such an awesome knife.

Carbon isn't for everyone, or every situation. Stainless clad or semi-stainless is a good compromise.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Although, I feel that the craftsmanship and performance of the shig would be superb, I just don't think I can deal with the reactivity since it will be used fairly often. I'm a bit deflated at this realization, but I don't want to feel like using my other knives because of the clean up, smell, and so on. I want to thank everyone for their patience and help, especially the vendors i've been dealing with. Hopefully I'll find something great down the line that fits what i'm looking for. Thanks all,
as others have posted there there is no reactivity issue more than any other carbon knife, at least with mine.
There is no smell either, but there is certainly some maintenance involved as it is a carbon steel knife.

It's the only one I've had problems with other than the cheapies like Kanemasa.

+1 to the Heiji semi-stainless. Love those knives.

Carbon isn't for everyone, or every situation. Stainless clad or semi-stainless is a good compromise.

i sold almost all of my stainless as soon as i got my first carbon gyuto (i kep the FH just because i like the knife a lot). it takes very little to keep carbon working properly.

Doesn't Shigefusa offer a Kasumi wa-gyuto? Is that carbon clad too?

I'm a fan of both, but many people shy away from them, and perhaps with good reason. We don't really know their habits or level of OCD, until they've been here a while.
Meh....

Back